Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Weekend spree

19 comments in this topic

Members
6,151 posts
9,801 battles

Saturday was a few matches, stress make me fall sick later in day -_-

Sunday was fairly productive. Succeeded in all but 1 Naval battle attempt thanks to damage and had a few fun battles after an initial losing streak Sunday.

Khab and Groz still need some FXP; potato'd in both a few times. Midway's FXP stage is completed, now to upset(?) people in co-op. Spent lot of elite XP training up my gearing's Ovenchken (dunno spelling, now at 14 points) for her maiden voyage. Hakuryu's finally on credit portion of her grind.

J5ZCsdk.jpg

Shoutout to that guy for Detonating me w/ AP.

Saw @Notser:

YcijNsu.jpg

QQjCvHL.jpg

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles

I became very unwell on Friday, and any thought of getting fifteen random victories in PTS in phase 1 went out the window.

On the other hand, I did do good work in Naval Battles on Saturday night; I just wish my battle in the Furious hadn't been against a blob of higher-tier enemy ships, many of which were not exactly slouches in the AA department (a pity operations don't count), and that I hadn't wasted 80K damage games (in co-op, no less) pushing the bar up from 10K to 20K, LOL.

Sunday I took the Richie into randoms, being unsatisfied with co-op's XP and cash rewards, and discovered two things:

1) She is IMO good to go at Tier 10, albeit I know I was overcautious and trying to stay alive in the first instance.

2) I finally understand the purpose of the Jean Bart. I missed a couple of opportunities to really wreck a cruiser player's day as well as a kill or two because I couldn't reload in time and someone snagged the last 3K. 

[HELLS]
Members
2,661 posts
27,118 battles

Nothing special. Finished Stage 3 of the Halsey campaign and started Stage 4, finally got Yamato, my 9th T10 ship, got my Fletcher captain to 19 points, my 11th 19-point captain, and am 54,000 XP from Kitikaze. Spent a lot more time outside cleaning the yard and playing with the dog, it was decent weather for a change.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,744 battles

Played a fair amount of the scenario, 4 - 4 star results, most others total failures.  Always it seems that the Konig that comes from the left manages to take out one shore point and poof down to 4..  grrr..  So I targeted him one game and kept him from doing that, and the freaking Aoba on the other flank came in virtually uncontested and did the same thing, LOL.  That is one frustrating scenario.  Observations: 1. CV's in that scenario for the most part are ineffective, sorry that's how I see it.  2. BB's are needed as much for the firepower and for longevity as long as they don't get "I'm going to run out and kill everything" syndrome.. of course hiding in the repair circle most of the match does not work either :),  3. Best mix seemed to lean toward long range and heavy cruisers with a couple of BB's thrown in.  4. DD's are a mixed bag I've had good results and total failures when I tried them.  Others similar results.

Played some randoms, had one match where there were 11 Tier 10's and 1 T8 per side, common can't tell me there was not 1 more tier X In the queue to fit that slot?  geez. Felt bad for the T8's as I've been there.  Watched in another match where a DM didn't shoot down a single plane when the CV attacked him, kind of amazed at that one. Same thing with a Kittikaze, sure lot's of damage to planes but nobody dead..  I in my gearing that match ate a boat load of Dive bombs about 3 minutes in, trying to sneak into a cap, had to avoid them(planes) early but he caught a glimpse and came back over a mountain to find me,  took half my health in that run, and poof no sooner then that happens I'm Radar'd, and when that went down  I was picked up on Hydro..  surprisingly I managed to escape for about 3 seconds and the planes came back.. sigh..  

Played the Yue Yang, arrgg, either I just don't fit that ship or something. Probably stay in port for a while.. Bad part is she has my highest point capt.. I may just put him back in the Chung mu and go from there.

Still just frustrating to play DD's with the carrier / radar / hydro combinations, spend as much time trying to avoid that as doing the job your supposed to do.  I have had games where I'm totally ignored by the CV(s) but usually at the lower tiers, seems different at the upper tiers.  Thanks goodness they limited it to 1 per side at tier X, 2 Midway's per side and I'd be looking for the scuttle button just to keep them from getting the points.

So just out of curiosity and I know someone out there got 5 stars on that scenario.. What do you think is the "ideal" ship and ship combinations to get to 5?  Luck mostly? or is there a trick to it?

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,611 posts
14,623 battles

Played fairly well for once actually... think I'm starting to get better at some of my T10s (just don't jinx it now!)

Spoiler

Also still fighting hurricane clans every other battle whilst in storm :Smile_sceptic:

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles
4 minutes ago, S16_Hunter said:

So just out of curiosity and I know someone out there got 5 stars on that scenario.

The hilarious thing is this - I got my only 5* Newport win in a carrier. I don't doubt it was the rest of the team, but I did a bit of damage and spotted a lot of ships while doing it, and I guess it helped the rest of them do their bit. I played it three times in a row, and both the other times the team as a whole failed to keep enemy ships out of the base, losing stars, triggering attacks early and screwing everything up. If you've got competent people who understand the necessities, a bunch of pubbies can pull this one off and let the carrier player have a bit of fun spotting and farming. If you don't, the carrier player needs to be :etc_swear: good at what they do. Otherwise it's better to take a division (see below).

@Vader_Sama is entirely responsible for inspiring me to take a carrier into Newport. I won't do it much, though, because I know how perfect everything has to go - or how good the rest of your team has to be - in order to do well.

Members
326 posts
13,896 battles

Had a pretty varied weekend, as RL took a lot of time.

Saturday played a mix of co-op and randoms.  Continued farmimg captain experience points with my 19pt Ovechkin captain on my Kron; as well as running randoms and/or co-op on other ships & captains (my various T7/T8/T9's working on leveling up or adding to captain experience; only one 19pt captain so far).

Sunday played 1 Newport scenario.  Used my Pensacola, and didn't survive to the end, but the rest of the team played well and we achieved 4 stars.  Farmed more Ovechkin experience on Kron, as well as doing some randoms and co-op in various ships.  Had a random battle in my Boise where I and a dd went to the east cap; rest of the team went to the far west cap (3 cap; forget the map; probably a T8 or T9 battle).  I was snug up to an island, waiting for the dd to get the red dd to come out a bit more so I could fire on it without getting toasted by the other reds approaching the cap.  Got a few rounds into the dd, then had to kite to avoid his teammates.  Then got hit by 2 friendly torps from my dd (but survived; took my heal to get something back though).  Later saw in chat the dd driver saying I (the CA) was hiding behind the island doing nothing (it was a CL, and I was doing something imo).  Needless to say, didn't do much that game.  But played the Boise in a random game right after, and was able to get over 80k damage in a win.  Felt vindicated.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,744 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The hilarious thing is this - I got my only 5* Newport win in a carrier

That's awesome, sorry to say that the stars have not aligned when I play that scenario with other carriers.. It's tough that's for sure.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,921 posts
19,012 battles

Played a fair bit, was annoyed by the number of CV games, especially 2 CVs per side  games.  As a solo, was up tiered a lot, and being a tier 6 or 7 against two tier 8 CVs or an 8 and 6 just bites.  And being the only tier 8 in a tier 10 game and trying to fight off a tier 10 CV is just no fun.  

Took out my Yeuyang for the first time in awhile, and was reminded why I don’t play it very often after the big nerf.  Have only 18k base experience to legendary upgrade,  but does seem worth the time with it now it being the worst tier 10 DD (in my opinion).

[ARGSY]
Members
20,001 posts
14,281 battles
Just now, S16_Hunter said:

awesome

Awesome? No. Lucky to have sets of guns behind me that could keep them out of the zone while I chipped away at what was incoming and kept it visible. The stars REALLY aligned in that match, and I don't think I can take any credit for the win.

Members
6,151 posts
9,801 battles
1 hour ago, S16_Hunter said:

So just out of curiosity and I know someone out there got 5 stars on that scenario.. What do you think is the "ideal" ship and ship combinations to get to 5?  Luck mostly? or is there a trick to it?

Any of the CVs can do effective spotting. I've done it in Furious and Ryujo; I relied on TB to make a BB turn (spread out is easier to focus in T6s) and the level bombers generally do good damage to the cruisers. The AP require pretty good timing and some RNG, but citting the CRs helps a lot. I've pretty much used fighters to blast the DDs, those bots don't try dodging.

I know Graf Spee, Nurnberg, and Buddy also do reasonably well. Pensacola has terrible MB rotation, never tried Dallas. Of the BBs, I'd say Bayvern or Fuso; QE and NM can do well, but are pretty susceptible to bot DD torps.

So I'd say 1 CV, 2 BBs, and rest running CR or DD they're comfortable in. Main difficulty is the Izumo later, need HE spam to weaken the AA enough cause otherwise CV can get deplaned.

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,744 battles
2 hours ago, Reymu said:

I know Graf Spee, Nurnberg, and Buddy also do reasonably well. Pensacola has terrible MB rotation, never tried Dallas. Of the BBs, I'd say Bayvern or Fuso; QE and NM can do well, but are pretty susceptible to bot DD torps.

So I'd say 1 CV, 2 BBs, and rest running CR or DD they're comfortable in. Main difficulty is the Izumo later, need HE spam to weaken the AA enough cause otherwise CV can get deplaned.

Thanks.. always interesting to hear others thoughts, I've run the PEF as a BB, the Arizona, and the Warspite and I would agree that the Fuso is the best of the bunch. PEF does not come into it's own till secondary range, AZ just reloads to slow,  the Warspite did ok, Normandie also has done pretty well the times I've played with them.  I have had terrible luck with the Graf.. probably just me though.  Nurn, Buddy, DeGrasse,  Leander, Duca D'Aosta(can't take a hit), Molotov(also can't take much punishment),  all do well.. Dallas seems to do ok. Aoba not to bad and the Pensy well my one four star had two if not 3 of them in the mix.. they hit hard.  DD's the only one I've played is Aigle and I did ok with it.   The French Gassy seems to work decently also.  Oh and I've decided that the HaungHe and Perth need to stay in port for this scenario.. not so good.

My best mix.  3 BB's, and the rest cruisers, and seemingly the heavy's with longer ranges seem to do better, although the Nurnberg is a beast in that scenario.

Been tempted just to buy back the Fuso just for this.. LOL..  frustrating when you can't get 5..

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,174 posts
9,512 battles
3 hours ago, S16_Hunter said:

That's awesome, sorry to say that the stars have not aligned when I play that scenario with other carriers.. It's tough that's for sure.

Well from my experience playing CVs and witnessing other CVs in action in all of the ops currently available.

Anyone using rocket planes in the ops are just wasting time flying those around and doing pitiful damage even against DDs, the amount of time it takes for someone to kill a DD using rocket planes, I would have already taken out two DDs and damage another ship using just torpedo bombers. By the time someone is done using their rocket planes they may or may not have killed that same DD and may need to use another squad whereas I would by then have dropped one wave of dive bombs onto a ship.

I don't ever use rocket planes in any of the ops unless it's the only thing I have left if the situation was dire enough that I lost my other squads.

My priority targets in Newport are DDs and the left flank when the last wave spawns in because the Konig will target the onshore installations more than the player ships and often times a star is lost cause the Konig fired a salvo on the base when it gets close enough.

I tend to leave the Izumo for last if it's still alive, but I also move my carrier away from the harbor so that it won't spawn kill my planes or pick off the ones returning.

[WOLF9]
Members
4,462 posts

I know I played on Friday, but cannot remember anything about it, lol.  Guess that says it all!

Sat I never did log on.  I got busy with other things, and it was late when I finally thought about it.

Sunday,  I decided to do something completely different.  I put aside all the favorites I've been working for first win bonuses; (grinding credits, E-XP, and avoiding the ships I'm grinding, lol)  And spammed IJN BB's almost exclusively.   I'm currently working on Fuso, but have little time in the line as a whole  (free xp'd out of Myogi, then Kongo when I couldn't take it any more), so It has only a now 11 point captain.

I DO happen to have a big bunch of IJN premium BB's, all of which I do enjoy playing now and then- so I just cycled the captain through them.  Using the first win bonus to help boost the captain, and sticking around for several matches when the ship performed well.    It turned out to be surprisingly enjoyable!   Fuso can be a pain, just because tier 6 kinda sux right now.   So switching it up to play Ashitaka; Kii; or Musashi- or even Mutsu- broke up the monotony nicely.   I even had some pretty good games in them!

Sunday was actually a pretty good day to play:  lots of BB's and cruisers in queue and not so many DD's as has become the norm.   Most matches were lasting longer, meaning Ships like BB's could earn their pay.  RNG was also being relatively kind to me- which is always helpful.

Just because I could,  Republique and Gascogne  sallied forth to earn me some more elite xp.   Both are becoming favorites both in general, and for this purpose.   Montana also got to play- just because I'm well into the second half of that final 50k base XP slog for the legendary module.

Gascogne is another one of those ships that everyone seems to hate- but I love.   It certainly gets the job done for me!   Often unspectacular on a shot for shot basis,  it nevetheless always seems to accumulate lots of damage, and kill more than it's share of ships.   ( just like it's bigger brother Republique)

[INTEL]
Members
13,043 posts
35,988 battles
On 5/14/2019 at 12:14 AM, S16_Hunter said:

S16, PM me for Discord link to Hoperations, our Discord specializes in Operations, on weekends we have 1-3 full divs going, and our veterans can usually get you the fifth star, and will be happy to do so. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,043 posts
35,988 battles

Grinding, grinding, grinding for Lazo. But I expected to be one day short, so I bought a container with gold, and lo and behold, got the Sinop. Nice little weekend bonus. 

[H_]
Members
748 posts
11,744 battles
12 hours ago, Taichunger said:

S16, PM me for Discord link to Hoperations, our Discord specializes in Operations, on weekends we have 1-3 full divs going, and our veterans can usually get you the fifth star, and will be happy to do so. 

Thanks for the invite, strangely enough I finally managed to get the 5th star! and what I found even stranger was that it seemed "easy"..  Exceptional team for sure. 

The only problem is I have no idea what happened to the screen shots.  Hit alt +f1 for the NVidia screen shot said it saved them, wanted to show my brother and I can't find them.. grr.. I have to look again.

Sign in to follow this