You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LunchCutter

Do CV bombers hit a bit too hard?

14 comments in this topic

Members
781 posts
2,759 battles

I'm sailing around in my little Hatsuharu 1m into the game when I get swooped by a squadron of bombers, take evasive action, dodge as much as possible but I still eat some bombs, 5k damage, the dam things then spin around and drop another load on me, 4k damage this time, I have just over 1k health remaining and the games just started.. The Hatsuharu has decent AA but I didn't shoot down a single plane:( (Ironically I was hanging around one of our BB's to give him AA cover..)

Then the next game my New Orleans gets bombed, 8k wiped off in 1 hit, 30 secs later hit again for 8k, I shot quite a few planes down but still lost around 50% of my health in the process. This was also during the early stages of the game before i had even fired my guns...

Can the bombs just be toned down a bit? They seem to be more accurate than ever and man they hurt...

• Meh 3

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,878 posts
11,515 battles

USN can also be nasty but very dodgeable. RN due to the clustered nature will probably eat 1-3 if you don't wasd. Though a smart cv will learn to expect this and will plan accordingly. There is somewhat of an exploit for USN db right now against DDS. Basically, they release at the last possible moment which flings in tight cluster forward. Which means against a dd this is normally 3-5 hits. That's a metric ton of pain. This is to be corrected in 8.4

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts

Losing more than half of your health within the first 2 minutes of the game is frustrating. WG's fix is to delay the CVs from launching the plane. The CV players will tell you that you need to play a different ship or stay with your team and not do anything you love doing with your ship.

I just cannot wait until the next patch when the  IJN T10 CV returns to being a torpedo monster. I want to see many non DDs sunk by them in every match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjNKwu8vPS0

Edited by mrkimba
Added Youtube vid

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
12,461 posts

Actually, no they do not. They could in fact hit a lot harder but you know, players would object. 

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
15,858 posts
12,803 battles

it's not that much until the bombs or rockets start to hit you for over 10k

I mean, going off of how hard they CAN hit, not that I think it's particularly fair for a low HP ship.

Edited by MrDeaf

[D33P6]
Members
563 posts

The upcoming changes will address your issue.  A CV delayed launch at the start of the map and a dispersion nerf to the Midways DB.  You will still be getting hit but not as much.

[CHMC]
Members
367 posts
8,807 battles

The Hatsu does not have good AA... Your best bet is to turn it off, makes it harder to find you and line up a following drop. Your biggest strength in an IJN DD is your stealth don't give that away with your pop guns.

Staying next to a BB gives me the opportunity to hit both of you. If I gave up trying to find the DD I'll usually go after a BB usually the one in front or at the back and soften their AA up a bit before bringing the torps. If I see a DD you're now the main target.
If you go way out to the sides I'll spot you, you will be alone, and I will not leave until you're dead if I find you being sneaky.
Set foot in a cap and you better have your smoke ready, angled away towards friendlies. Don't sit in the middle of a cloud and turn off your AA / stop shooting if i'm overhead, all that does is let me blind fire you.
Don't slow down to throw off my aim, it doesn't work.. Going around the map to kill the CV is also ill advised.. For one I am your biggest threat and you're getting closer only increasing my DPM. Two If i'm spotted I know you're nearby and it isn't hard to tell from where.
STAY NEAR AA, I'll leave you alone and go after the other DD that didn't or that guy in the back who thinks I don't see him all alone.
One of the easiest ways to spot a DD is to see where all the BB's noses are pointing, you're probably in front of them. If you aren't there you're next to the cruisers, on a straight path to the nearest cap, or off to the far corners, I will go full Liam Nesson on you.

I will find you, and I will farm you.

If you're in a light cruiser and you're being annoying with your AA I'll give you a smack. Most teammates wont shoot an AA cruiser until it's missing some health, taking a chunk off of you has many advantages. For one you may move out of cover, show broadside, take a full hit, get prioritized, or lose some AA, taking a few plane hits to make it happen is completely fine. I'll ditch some planes before I go in anyway because having a full squadron isn't in my benefit.
Remember light cruisers are LIGHT CRUISERS, you don't have armor and I know it.
Credits and experience are based on percentage damage, the lighter your armor the more of an opportunity you become.

If you're in a BB for Zeus' sake stay near AA be it a cruiser or another BB the lone wolf dies, but the pack survives. You don't have to be humping your cruisers either...
If you're hiding next to a CV you're getting reported unless it makes sense or I'm pushed up.
If you charged to the enemy spawn Im not going out of my way to give you a fighter. If you want fighter support be between me and the most present threat to a loss. That's where I am going to an objective, a threat, or an easy isolated target if you're on the way and I think you would benefit from one you get a fighter. Normally however those are given to DDs that are trying to play the objective.
Being next to cover or the map edge is dangerous, I can use the border to bounce off for a quick second attack or use the island as an AA shield.
Take the fighter consumable if you can, I may hit you once but I'm out of there if there's a fighter around. Don't pop that fighter unless I'm running a full squad or you really can't afford to take the hit. It makes me so happy to see a BB pop a fighter when I have one drop's worth of planes left.
If you go into a cap alone you've just become a damage / reset pinata.

Oh and stop going full lemming... Yes you may shut me down but there are always stragglers and you will more often then not get surrounded. Two groups are much harder to deal with.

There's some insight from a CV player use it to "git gud", farming those that don't is not only easier but more enjoyable.

• Cool 1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,638 posts
6,181 battles
2 hours ago, mrkimba said:

Losing more than half of your health within the first 2 minutes of the game is frustrating.

Yup, but that's what BBs do in the first 2 minutes, and every 30 seconds thereafter. 

• Cool 1

[ENDO]
Members
282 posts
3 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

Yup, but that's what BBs do in the first 2 minutes, and every 30 seconds thereafter. 

Wow, that is amazing shooting, I have watched lots of game play by Flambas and Noster and they don't hit DDs targets like that every 30 seconds. More power too you.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,329 posts
19,492 battles

HE bombs are a bear at mid- and high-tier. It takes only a little luck to get the 5K hits rolling in even on small targets like DDs. That's why they're getting nerfed next patch.

In the mean time, you'll have to make an effort to stay in places that the planes won't look for you, and smoke IMMEDIATELY the instant you see them coming for you on the minimap. It's too late once they're in range to start the dive, your ship can't move far enough to not get hit even if your smoke screen kicks in. Starting next patch, you will be able to avoid most of the damage by going sideways to the bombers, as their drop shape is being made much more long and narrow.

[-N-]
Members
2,218 posts
14,703 battles

8.4 should alleviate some of this.  They are going to put more RNG it seems in how they hit and they changed the aiming on them.

[SIM]
Members
4,922 posts
7,991 battles

No, you don’t get a magic anti-plane forcefield. You’re going to have to learn to use teamwork in order to get around your ship’s poor AA value. 

Beta Testers
642 posts

No if anything they need a buff, especially AP bombs that if they hit at all do meh damage, and then even if you get lucky hit a bunch and get say 2 cits, woo, 15k damage tops, more likely 10k. HE bombs too need a buff, fine some very accurate Commanders had them do too much damage against some DD's sure nmake the DD's take a little less damage. But the rest again, meh damage with low fire chance, we have no alpha strikes, we have no dots, and now with the speed nerf, which will also affect our plane survive ability, we will have lower dpm, meaning we can't do anything meaningful besides get yelled at by all parties in a game.