You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

Is there any point to trying to play RN DDs right now, with the CVs the way they are?

19 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
648 posts
1,849 battles

They are slow, have short smoke, no speed boost, meh concealment, especially on Daring, and crappy AA. 

I don't see how they can survive once a CV finds them.

What are other peoples thoughts.

I know all DDs are in a bad spot but at least some of the other DD lines have good AA or better concealment, or speed, or at the very least, smoke that lets you hide until they leave (aside from french, but they have super speed).

• Meh 1

[CHBAY]
Beta Testers
558 posts
3,660 battles

Consider it a personal challenge. German DDs are in the same boat, figuratively speaking.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,655 posts
9,465 battles

On the other hand, RN DDs have faster acceleration, which a skilled player can utilize while maneuvering to throw off the CV’s aim. In addition, the short smoke also has a shorter cooldown and more charges compared to other lines, so “wasting” a charge to break contact with aircraft is less of a concern. The downside of the shorter smoke is it won’t keep you hidden as long, so you need to be careful not to overextend. Use the cover to break contact and get back to your cruisers.

[NH]
Members
1,765 posts
24 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

They are slow, have short smoke, no speed boost, meh concealment, especially on Daring, and crappy AA. 

I know all DDs are in a bad spot but at least some of the other DD lines have good AA or better concealment, or speed, or at the very least, smoke that lets you hide until they leave (aside from french, but they have super speed).

Actually those are the DDs I have the hardest time with because when you turn your AA off its near impossible to find you due to detection. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,749 posts
21,520 battles

No need to stop playing any DD. If you are careful with your AA you aren't easily spotted/  US DD's AA reaches out past their detection by air distance and are quickly spotted - if their AA is on. RN and IJN DD not so much. Use that knowledge to aid in your maneuver when you see aircraft approaching. If done right they won't see you. If they do they usually zip right past and, in those instances, you need to turn to a radically different heading to prevent them from finding you easily. The quick smoke for RN DD helps avoid aircraft as well.

[SHPFC]
Members
285 posts
8,316 battles

You have to know your Concealment from Air and Surface to play DD's. On some of my DD's if I can run torp reload vs. smoke. I will run the reload. Tired of people complaining all day long. LEARN TO PLAY THE CLASS.

Frosty

• Cool 1

[BFBTW]
Members
4,181 posts
9,556 battles
1 hour ago, PrinzEugen85 said:

Consider it a personal challenge. German DDs are in the same boat, figuratively speaking.

British DDs with their numerous smokes are in a considerably better place than German DDs, with far fewer and far less flexibility around their smokes.

[TDRB]
Members
5,138 posts
13,741 battles
1 hour ago, Prkl8r said:

One can make a list of weaknesses for every class &/or line of ship & ask the same question "are they worth playing?" If you focus on the negatives you can build a good case not to play that class or line of ships. Can you find the strengths and exploit those to cover the weaknesses is the real question IMO.

As far as DD's go, I don't play randoms with DD's. But I do see CV go after the DD's when they must fight through cruisers & BB's to reach the DD's. I am one of those that believes CV throws the matrix of this game out of balance.

[ALWC]
Members
1,180 posts
14,057 battles

Don’t stray far from cruisers early game until you see where the cv is sending planes. I have baited several cvs into cruiser aa and if the go to the other side of the map then I start scouting. Unless you have the Groz. It shreds planes. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,993 posts
20,694 battles

I thought Daring had a very good concealment....

Usually destroyers have greater range than their air detection and can crush planes once spotted...

Beta Testers
648 posts
1,849 battles
8 minutes ago, kgh52 said:

One can make a list of weaknesses for every class &/or line of ship & ask the same question "are they worth playing?" If you focus on the negatives you can build a good case not to play that class or line of ships. Can you find the strengths and exploit those to cover the weaknesses is the real question IMO.

As far as DD's go, I don't play randoms with DD's. But I do see CV go after the DD's when they must fight through cruisers & BB's to reach the DD's. I am one of those that believes CV throws the matrix of this game out of balance.

I'm speaking specifically vs CVs though. I think RN DDs weaknesses, make them specifically susceptible to CVs right now.

Beta Testers
648 posts
1,849 battles
2 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

I thought Daring had a very good concealment....

Usually destroyers have greater range than their air detection and can crush planes once spotted...

It had good concealment initially, but was significantly nerfed to be the standard average for tier 10 at 7.6.

Beta Testers
648 posts
1,849 battles
1 hour ago, KAAOS_Frosty said:

You have to know your Concealment from Air and Surface to play DD's. On some of my DD's if I can run torp reload vs. smoke. I will run the reload. Tired of people complaining all day long. LEARN TO PLAY THE CLASS.

Frosty

You don't play RN DDs, you don't understand what it's like to play DDs that slow vs a CV.

Members
3,727 posts
2 hours ago, Prkl8r said:

Lots of short duration smokes are preferable. With Dunkirk, JoaT and November Foxtrot I only have 10 seconds between smokes.

You are correct that their AA is crappy. Just hide.

Edited by CaptainTeddybear

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,993 posts
20,694 battles
25 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

It had good concealment initially, but was significantly nerfed to be the standard average for tier 10 at 7.6.

Now you got me. Going to look tomorrow when I get on....

I've barely played her since I've been grinding legendary modules. 

Love my Gearing....

[CHMC]
Members
367 posts
8,807 battles

RN DDs are a pain to go after, they always have a smoke when you go after them. If they see you coming you're not going to get a piece of them before they smoke up. Your only option is to wait them out, time is damage so sitting there waiting usually isn't worth it. I only go after them to burn their smokes or if I can sneak up on them, or if they're becoming a problem. They are usually the last DD I go after if i have a choice.

Members
1,724 posts
11,215 battles

I find the RN DD smoke to be pretty solid.  Plenty of charges, quick cool down so you aren't there that long.  in the high tiers you get a heal.    Concealment is pretty good too.  Stay in the vicinity of teammates and you will do fine.  TBH my biggest annoyance with the high tier RN DDs is you lose the ability to pen 25mm of armor like you could on the lightning.  I loved popping that smoke and beating up on the cruisers. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,138 posts
13,741 battles
4 hours ago, Prkl8r said:

I'm speaking specifically vs CVs though. I think RN DDs weaknesses, make them specifically susceptible to CVs right now.

Only USN DD's have decent AA to my understanding.  The problem is everyone is looking at stats. CV's disrupt DD's normal duties for the team. They can't scout nor cap as they can without CV's and there is not hard counter. This does not show up in the stats but it does effect the outcome of the match. In real life a ship formations were spread over a large area, giving each ship some room to maneuver while providing some AA protection. Game maps aren't this large, AA doesn't have the capability and people are not train in fleet maneuvers. This is the "game matrix" that CV's trow out of balance.