thegreenbaron

Loot Box Ban in the US proposed.

143 comments in this topic

[KERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,199 posts
5,255 battles

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/loot-boxes-could-become-illegal-in-us-if-new-bill-/1100-6466737/

Now as the article takes pains to point out, this is not yet a law, and the video game industry is already moving to fight it.  What fallout do you see from this, should it pass?  Both re WG and in General

[LEGIT]
Members
1,589 posts
23,934 battles

As others have posted in other threads, the loot boxed in WG have items equal to or greater than the monetary cost.  Maybe just not the items you're looking for.

So you are getting your money's worth, like it or not.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[INR]
Members
1,213 posts
4,060 battles

I don't like loot boxes, and I only buy containers if they can guarantee they contain something I want (e.g. I bought a 5-pack of British Destroyer containers because I needed to start the collection, and the collection is a 100% chance to drop with those).

[WOLF6]
Members
831 posts
3,238 battles
7 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

As others have posted in other threads, the loot boxed in WG have items equal to or greater than the monetary cost.  Maybe just not the items you're looking for.

While they aren't bad value WG are still filthy for putting OP ships in them. They likely have full knowledge certain people will go berserk trying to obtain them.  

Members
3,294 posts
14 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

I'm not sure this is a defensible position since not all flags and camos have an established price.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
207 posts
5,791 battles

I'm not going to weigh in on the morality aspect of this because quite frankly, morality is relative.

Call me crazy, but in a supposedly "free" country, I don't see why people shouldn't be "free" to spend their money on whatever the hell they want.

• Cool 15

Members
1,684 posts
9,045 battles
6 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

While they aren't bad value WG are still filthy for putting OP ships in them. They likely have full knowledge certain people will go berserk trying to obtain them.  

The grass is greener on the other side....

https://old.reddit.com/r/Neverwinter/comments/bna0jg/just_opened_200_of_these_got_all_blue_rarity/

[WOLF2]
Members
3,007 posts
14,725 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

Wrong

Edited by Commander_367
  • Bad 3

[WOLF2]
Members
3,007 posts
14,725 battles
6 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

I'm not sure this is a defensible position since not all flags and camos have an established price.

Limiting and reducing the chances of obtaining real value while inflating the value of filler items does not provide value 

Filling crates with inflated garbage = garbage 

I really feel for the anime crowd paying $10 a crate for repeats  = insane 

• Boring 1

Members
178 posts

It was kind of inevitable, wasn't it? Too many games were abusing it, and it really was just a form of gambling at that point. There's always some busybody in politics who has to make every perceived problem a legal issue. 

A lot of games will tank if it passes -- that being the most direct fallout, I guess. Though it will be mostly phone games, I suspect. 

• Cool 2

Members
1,886 posts
1,218 battles
49 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

LoL

That's not how value works.

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,589 posts
23,934 battles
Just now, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

LoL

That's not how value works.

True.  But it is how cost works.

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
207 posts
3,136 battles

I suppose it depends on the type of restrictions they put on them. An outright ban is probably overkill. As an adult I choose to spend money on them on occasion. Value to me is determined by what’s in them. The AZ crates? Didn’t buy a single one. Cost too much for what I may or may not get in them. I did get a handful of the Soviet BB early release crates however as they provide value to me. Less ships I have to suffer through to get to the tiers I enjoy playing. 

I do feel like loot boxes are and can be predatory in same cases however. At a minimum I think they should at least give a drop rate of certain things in them. Always has bothered me that they don’t. 

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
350 posts

I think the best we can hope for is a listing of what exactly is in the boxes and what the percentage chance to get each item.

Cirran

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles

I honestly don't care what the government does in this regard. Wargaming never would release the odds on getting ships from the loot boxes which always ticked me off. They also used vague language about drop rates including "highly probable" and "increased likelihood" kind of crap which only could be interpreted as shady. They did this over and over again so I have zero problem with the government regulating them. 

• Cool 2

[A-I-M]
Members
1,316 posts
15,649 battles
50 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Although, Im OK with them, you might be right. 

I do remember when a box called the "Supply Drop" had combat effects signals (Juliet Charlie, etc, not the economic flags), so these have been sold for cash at some point, but you are probably right about some camos. 

There are probably folks who dropped a lot of cash trying to get a Belfast or Graf Z or something, but WG has been up front about these being infrequent. I remember the Christmas that the only thing I wanted was a Gremy (Had the Kamikazes, Belfast, and Nikolai), and got it and a duplicate Nikolai in my first small buy of containers. 

Edited by Pugilistic

Members
3,294 posts
55 minutes ago, HTSMetal said:

I'm not going to weigh in on the morality aspect of this because quite frankly, morality is relative.

Call me crazy, but in a supposedly "free" country, I don't see why people shouldn't be "free" to spend their money on whatever the hell they want.

They are free to spend their money but gambling has to abide by different regulations than commerce. For example age limits.

• Cool 2

[WOLF9]
Members
8,387 posts
3,848 battles

Dear US Federal Goverment,

Leave us the hell alone!

Sincerely,

A US Citizen,

a.k.a. Your Boss.

Edited by iDuckman
  • Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,124 posts
19,941 battles
13 minutes ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

They are free to spend their money but gambling has to abide by different regulations than commerce. For example age limits.

This exactly. Most states that have regulation about posting odds of winning at games, usually related to lotteries and what not. States that have real gambling like Nevada, the industry is heavily regulated and tightly controlled. Companies that offer loot boxes just slimed their way in-between the law so that what they were doing technically is not illegal but it just begs for regulation because of the nature of what they were doing. Call it immoral, call it slimy, call it whatever, but what you are seeing is a response to a sleazy sales tactic. It reminds me of the stores that sell that synthetic marijuana and get away with it by calling it "incense" or "bath products". 

Edited by Taylor3006

[WOLF2]
Members
3,007 posts
14,725 battles
1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

Leave use the hell alone!

Sincerely,

A US Citizen,

a.k.a. Your Boss.

Lol … This sounds like my kid saying "You're not the boss of me" :)

I would love to try this on a cop or a judge … not worth trying on the IRS though

[H_]
Members
1,700 posts
1 hour ago, thegreenbaron said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/loot-boxes-could-become-illegal-in-us-if-new-bill-/1100-6466737/

Now as the article takes pains to point out, this is not yet a law, and the video game industry is already moving to fight it.  What fallout do you see from this, should it pass?

Depends on what passes....  One thing to consider is that "games" are now seriously being looked at.....especially, in light of loot boxes that compel urges to gamble....  It's all about what words mean now....  Gaming now has an official mental disorder for payment of treatment....that's a big deal !   Governments want "in on" the huge amounts of money being made.   Who knows what will happen?  I will get a copy of the draft, if it is available,  and read it next week !  this has been "cooking" for a long time now.

[AFW]
[AFW]
Members
214 posts
3,302 battles

It would be nice if they at least put percentages of the items you can obtain.  Like with the santa crates. 

Kyrpspy Creme =60%

Monogan=40%

Misso=1%

Flags and camo =90%

Etc

• Funny 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,387 posts
3,848 battles
Just now, Commander_367 said:

Lol … This sounds like my kid saying "You're not the boss of me" :)

I would love to try this on a cop or a judge … not worth trying on the IRS though

We're not talking about laws that are in place, ostensibly laws that have the approval, through our representatives, of the citizens.

We're talking about new laws controlling new areas of our lives.  Judges and IRS agents don't come into the discussion at all.  Next time, think about the point that is actually made, not something that sounds vaguely like it.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
3,810 posts
5,591 battles
2 minutes ago, Big_Pimpin said:

It would be nice if they at least put percentages of the items you can obtain.  Like with the santa crates. 

Kyrpspy Creme =60%

Monogan=40%

Misso=1%

Flags and camo =90%

Etc

korean games have that because the goverment demands it,too many people addicted with  gacha games. WG could try that but then it would lower their profit.

Members
1,886 posts
1,218 battles
42 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

True.  But it is how cost works.

What do the pixels cost?

Ships cost money to develop.

Doubloons, combat flags, freexp, etc...DO NOT.

11 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Leave use the hell alone!

Sincerely,

A US Citizen,

a.k.a. Your Boss.

Dear Federal government,

Regulate corporations who abuse the weak and claim that its not wrong.

Sincerely,

A US citizen

a.k.a Your boss

• Cool 6

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.