You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gillhunter

Unrealistic Expectations

38 comments in this topic

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,511 battles

Players on the forum have questioned whether or not WOWs employees even play the game. The answer may be probably not. Many on the forum have mentioned that they play other games or like me they just play WOWs a lot. We either way we play these games because we enjoy them and stop playing them when we don't. Don't assume that passion you have for gaming extends to WOWs employees.

I worked for many years as a project engineer for a automotive supplier to 2 of the US and 2 of the Japanese auto manufacturers. I was a young car nut when I got my first opportunity to work with them.  I was so excited to get to work on projects with "real car guys". What a big disappointment. I worked with a lot of really smart guys, but not one of those people in all the years I worked with them was a "car guy". It was a job. It was how they supported themselves and their families. They would have been just as satisfied if they were making refrigerators. 

My son-in-law has a masters in computer science. He is a real computer guy and makes an enviable living. He has worked for 4 different companies, as I recall, since graduating. Can you guess what commonality their products were? None. They only thing common about the 4 is that they pay well and need IT. 

Someone at all of these companies and WOWs has a passion for their product. Just don't expect that passion to pass down through the ranks very far.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[GT99]
Members
553 posts
7,318 battles

That is true in any industry and job, some are passionate and some aren't. They may be passionate about their part in the process but not the end product. As you said, it's just a job.

Members
101 posts
681 battles

They do play the game, Ive seen @Gneisenau013 in game many times, playing...surprise surprise, Gneisenau.

You can see it as well in WGA profiles, it shows the number of battles they have.

• Cool 2

[GT99]
Members
553 posts
7,318 battles
1 minute ago, DolphinPrincess said:

They do play the game, Ive seen @Gneisenau013 in game many times, playing...surprise surprise, Gneisenau.

You can see it as well in WGA profiles, it shows the number of battles they have.

I took it as being spoken in general, I'm sure many of them play but not all of them.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,254 posts
7,127 battles
1 minute ago, DolphinPrincess said:

I try to make my namesake proud.....hopefully I do!

I'm mostly destroyers (yes, even after the CV rework) and cruisers, but occasionally take out Gneisenau or other BBs too. In rare instances, I'm the CAG on a CV!

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, U.S. Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 3

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles
22 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

Players on the forum have questioned whether or not WOWs employees even play the game. The answer may be probably not. Many on the forum have mentioned that they play other games or like me they just play WOWs a lot. We either way we play these games because we enjoy them and stop playing them when we don't. Don't assume that passion you have for gaming extends to WOWs employees.

I worked for many years as a project engineer for a automotive supplier to 2 of the US and 2 of the Japanese auto manufacturers. I was a young car nut when I got my first opportunity to work with them.  I was so excited to get to work on projects with "real car guys". What a big disappointment. I worked with a lot of really smart guys, but not one of those people in all the years I worked with them was a "car guy". It was a job. It was how they supported themselves and their families. They would have been just as satisfied if they were making refrigerators. 

My son-in-law has a masters in computer science. He is a real computer guy and makes an enviable living. He has worked for 4 different companies, as I recall, since graduating. Can you guess what commonality their products were? None. They only thing common about the 4 is that they pay well and need IT. 

Someone at all of these companies and WOWs has a passion for their product. Just don't expect that passion to pass down through the ranks very far.

When you turn a hobby into a job, it becomes just a job.

Yeah I'd be very surprised if many of the actual WoWS employees play the game very much.  Volunteers are a different case. . . but actual salaried employees?  Not many I bet.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
26 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

The founders have the passion … 

The corporates have the greed … 

And the workers have the need … 

Unfortunately, they don't usually play nice together :)

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles
1 minute ago, Gneisenau013 said:

I try to make my namesake proud.....hopefully I do!

I'm mostly destroyers (yes, even after the CV rework) and cruisers, but occasionally take out Gneisenau or other BBs too. In rare instances, I'm the CAG on a CV!

"Never fear your enemy but always respect them." - John Basilone, U.S. Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

What do you think about Gneisenau vs. your other Tier 7 BB options?

[PQUOD]
Members
1,719 posts
8,956 battles
24 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

I've seen some WG administrators playing. I've seen some of the CC's playing as well. Looked to me like they was having fun. Seen them in Random and Ranked. 

As far as a occupation turning into "just a job", it can happen. It can happen to anybody. I've been working for a contractor of Whirlpool for going on 26 years. I am doing what I love doing. A machinist. When I got to visit the USS Alabama I was in awe of the end product of a LOT of work. Being a machinist and having a love of almost anything nautical goes together like peas and carrots. I wouldn't wish occupation burn out on anyone.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
38 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

When you turn a hobby into a job, it becomes just a job.

Yeah I'd be very surprised if many of the actual WoWS employees play the game very much.  Volunteers are a different case. . . but actual salaried employees?  Not many I bet.

The quickest way to destroy something you love is to analyze it, take it apart, throw in cheap fixes and mass produce it … 

Throw in some mediocre co-workers and an idiot boss and your days will be numbered 

Unless you run your own company - your dreams will be crushed :)

Most people sell out early and forget why they even started a career … sorry to say

The ones who don't get marginalized and simply appear foolish to the rest 

As for volunteering … if you're good at something - you should get PAID for it 

Edited by Commander_367

[RQL]
[RQL]
Privateers
238 posts
9,743 battles

I've played with/against a fair few WG employees both on the NA and EU server. Most recently ran into @Kami, but at other times I have run into Gniesenau, irony, Fem, Conway and others.  Heck,  I even recall a stream where the EU folks got their office manager and legal department into the game (note to NA community team,  totally an idea you should ripoff, was a blast). 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,038 posts
14,107 battles

Gneis for sure the one I've seen the most.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,317 posts
6,746 battles

I've been in two battles on the same side as Femennenly, albeit before she became an admin, and one with Pigeon of War (who IIRC was driving a test Haida/Cossack thing at the time).

CC's are obliged to play the game and show that they play it, or they wouldn't be CC's in the first place. 

I am strongly in favour of admins and devs having a non-privileged account on which they are required to play at least an hour a day.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,305 posts
3,290 battles

There is a few I see pretty often @Kami comes to mind,  and I have bumped into @Gneisanau before.   @Femennenly  quite regularly which makes me very glad that RTS CVs are no longer around.   

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,511 battles

This thread was not intended to be critical of WOWs employees or say that none of them play. My hobbies for years were cars, then fishing and wood working. I spent countless hours on these and never made a dime from any of them, nor intended to. The person that can make a living from their passion is rare and a very lucky person. I envy them.

Edited by gillhunter

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,511 battles
3 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am strongly in favour of admins and devs having a non-privileged account on which they are required to play at least an hour a day.

That seems like it would be an ideal situation, but I doubt it would ever happen.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
1 minute ago, gillhunter said:

This thread was not intended to bee critical of WOWs employees or say that none of them play. My hobbies for years were cars, then fishing and wood working. I spent countless hours on these and never made a dime form any of them, nor intended to. The person that can make a living from their passion is rare and a very lucky person. I envy them.

Professionals don't mix business and pleasure 

[STP]
Beta Testers
3,259 posts
12,358 battles

Make a game =/= Play a game.

Some people like work doing a 3d models [like myself(not for WG)] but not playing with, a job is a job.

[WGA]
Administrator
1,322 posts
637 battles
56 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

Hello gillhunter,

Many of us play the game and some of us can even play the game well =). I personally have seen many players from these very forums in game everyday. To name a few of us that play the game almost everyday include: Myself, Fem, Gneis, Pigeon and Irony to name a few. As employees part of our job is to know the game we play. Some of even stream World of Warships in our free time. 

You are free to check our profiles if you like, to see we are playing the game =). We do play the game but we also have other responsibilities that do take a lot of our time. 

• Cool 2

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,511 battles
2 minutes ago, Kami said:

Hello gillhunter,

Many of us play the game and some of us can even play the game well =). I personally have seen many players from these very forums in game everyday. To name a few of us that play the game almost everyday include: Myself, Fem, Gneis, Pigeon and Irony to name a few. As employees part of our job is to know the game we play. Some of even stream World of Warships in our free time. 

You are free to check our profiles if you like, to see we are playing the game =). We do play the game but we also have other responsibilities that do take a lot of our time. 

Nice to know Kami. Then you, and the others you mentioned are the fortunate ones.

[SCREW]
Members
218 posts
10,057 battles
1 hour ago, gillhunter said:

You seem to think that people here think that just because one job is related to a certain hobby that you should have a passion for that hobby. That's not even close to the case. I would expect a mechanic to have a passion or at least a very strong interest in cars. Not the guys who make the parts. I expect the guy testing the game to have a passion for games in general, not the guys who sit behind the computer coding and designing them, that's just what they happen to be working on at the time. Coding can extend into website design, movies, ads, etc. I don't expect these guys to love games. I DO expect them to love what they do and to want to do it well, just as i expect my auto parts to be well made.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,254 posts
7,127 battles
57 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

What do you think about Gneisenau vs. your other Tier 7 BB options?

shot-19.04.07_20.53.50-0829.jpg

Still does ok, especially when under constant air attack!

"Show me a hero and I'll show you a bum." - Gregory "Pappy" Boyington, U.S. Marine Corps

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,511 battles
1 minute ago, xTrowax said:

You seem to think that people here think that just because one job is related to a certain hobby that you should have a passion for that hobby.

No, you misunderstand. I said people on the forum have wondered if the WOWs folks even played the game. I said when I was young I had those same misplaced expectations.

[MIA-P]
Members
96 posts
4,868 battles

guys, he's not demeaning employees, or accusing them of anything. simply put, what he's saying is that balance or "making the rework the best it can be" simply cannot be top priority for these people. It wouldn't me top priority for me if I had mouths to feed. He's saying to stop criticising these employees for "lacking passion" for the game's overall wellbeing when stepping out of line could mean losing your job.

Cheers.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
40 minutes ago, xTrowax said:

You seem to think that people here think that just because one job is related to a certain hobby that you should have a passion for that hobby. That's not even close to the case. I would expect a mechanic to have a passion or at least a very strong interest in cars. Not the guys who make the parts. I expect the guy testing the game to have a passion for games in general, not the guys who sit behind the computer coding and designing them, that's just what they happen to be working on at the time. Coding can extend into website design, movies, ads, etc. I don't expect these guys to love games. I DO expect them to love what they do and to want to do it well, just as i expect my auto parts to be well made.

I find this entire thread kind of silly,

Too many kids dream of doing something they're not good at and waste their college educations … many more fail to make use of their natural strengths and ability - not realizing their true potential

A good teacher, coach, mentor will identify natural ability and know how to bring it out … but it requires training, dedication and a discipline that goes far beyond play or having fun 

Doing what your good at is it's own reward and achieving goals is how we gain self esteem and measure success … but you must be disciplined and have a professional attitude

I don't know if this is a millennial thing or maybe I'm out of touch … 

Hobbies need to remain hobbies, for recreation and pleasure - not money

We work to support our hobbies - not the other way around

Edited by Commander_367
  • Cool 1