You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Col_Nasty

CAs Do not need to hide behind Islands to Score EDIT. I meant CLs

39 comments in this topic

[GOB]
Members
312 posts

EDIT. I meant CLs  Although the score I posted is a CL I titled this incorrectly.  It's mostly light cruisers that people claim can't open water rage.

A Post that drew a bunch of heat yesterday bothered me.  Yes some hide and farm and some excuse it as they only way to survive.    Although I was MM at the top there were 2 Cvs and it was a tough fight to the end.  People stuck together and fought like hell.  This was 100% Running and Gunnin!  Iv'e only been concentrating on Randoms for a few days now and this I see is RARE.  THIS is the type of battle that keeps people coming back.  I know it isn't THAT great but it's not Average either I would guess.  Sorry for the pic uploads.  Every time I tried PS it showed my center Monitor BLACK ( I use triples ) 

0507191046_HDR.jpg

0507191030b_HDR.jpg

Edited by Col_Nasty

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,078 battles

I always play my heavy cruisers in open water.  I hate island campers and will sometimes sneak around and torp them for their stupidity.

Members
69 posts
1,207 battles

I agree. Stay out in open water, keep moving, only shoot when it can count.

IMG_20190505_131405.thumb.jpg.5da3069befa570d152eac97ad7d4f92d.jpg

[AR15]
Members
432 posts
8,180 battles

That sounds like something a disguised BB would say. I'm not falling for that trap! :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
11,359 posts
8,084 battles

Islands can be very helpful though:

• Cool 5

[RKLES]
Members
8,925 posts
10,828 battles

Yeah I love using heavy Cruisers because I hate island camping. Ships like Atlanta though I can understand their need for island camping when their armor is absolutely like cardboard, plus a citadel that seems rather high. Flint on the other hand can sit in open water with it's smoke.

Members
6,888 posts
3,093 battles

I tried playing in open water yesterday in my Hipper. I was spawned at C in Okinawa, north side. Between the CV and the DDs, I was perma lit. I think I lasted about 5 minutes before I was sunk bow on. I couldn't turn around and one of the BBs still managed to land a cit for half my health. Fun :cap_popcorn:

Edited by 10T0nHammer
a word

[BNKR]
Members
460 posts
2,887 battles

As a cruiser main, that's a hard pass from me.

Can it work some games? Sure it can. But 90% of the time, trying to open-water gunboat in a cruiser -- heavy or otherwise -- will get you blapped back to port before you can say "Admiral Halsey."

I will hump every island I can whilst farming damage and winning games, thankyouverymuch.  :Smile-_tongue:

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
114 posts
6,708 battles
1 hour ago, Col_Nasty said:

A Post that drew a bunch of heat yesterday bothered me.  Yes some hide and farm and some excuse it as they only way to survive.    Although I was MM at the top there were 2 Cvs and it was a tough fight to the end.  People stuck together and fought like hell.  This was 100% Running and Gunnin!  Iv'e only been concentrating on Randoms for a few days now and this I see is RARE.  THIS is the type of battle that keeps people coming back.  I know it isn't THAT great but it's not Average either I would guess.  Sorry for the pic uploads.  Every time I tried PS it showed my center Monitor BLACK ( I use triples ) 

0507191046_HDR.jpg

0507191030b_HDR.jpg

I suggest you get some more experience before you start trying to provide advice on how to play cruisers. 17 Battle may not be a large enough sample size to make you and expert on cruiser play.

• Cool 4

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
617 posts
3,868 battles

Helena and Boise have very good citadel placement and Turret layout so open water gunning is no issue. Also BB's much less accurate at those tiers.

[WOLFC]
Members
862 posts
5,949 battles

Well, it's legal in Canada now so I don't know why anybody up here has to hide to score some.  :cat_cool:

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

CAs do perfectly fine in open water. That's the only way I play CAs.

CLs, on the other hand, are often sitting ducks in open water, especially poorly armored ones like Minotaur and Worcester.

• Cool 2

[OO7]
Members
4,238 posts
10,903 battles

I think you will basically find that good players are good whether they play open water or islands and bad players are bad whether they get blapped in open water or sit hopelessly too far back behind an island. 

The strat has nothing to do with how badly the player plays typically. 

Members
1,805 posts
9,372 battles

This post will get new CA players utterly destroyed in higher tier, BB heavy games.

Edit: Ill give some advice I normally dont offer to help them. Always have an escape plan.  

Edited by Octavian_of_Roma
  • Cool 1

[CNK]
[CNK]
Members
280 posts
11,377 battles

When I have to I will use an island as cover but it's boring as hell and turning to avoid being hit isn't that hard. You can play any cruiser more effectively by just constantly turning, firing and dropping in and out of concealment.

I love tanking into cruisers that camp islands in my Tirpitz or other German ship. 

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
312 posts
45 minutes ago, fishin79 said:

I suggest you get some more experience before you start trying to provide advice on how to play cruisers. 17 Battle may not be a large enough sample size to make you and expert on cruiser play.

I was waiting for that guy!!  ( YOU!  )  I knew a hater would say just that.  I think it is because I have so few Randoms and have CONSISTENTLY scored high that people like you need to cut that down.  Sorry that it didn't take me 3000 Randoms to come in and rock it.  I did over 2500 coop to practice so I EARNED it.  Don't hate pr dismiss it.  Says alot about you.  I TRAINED for this and in My DDs and my CAs AND my BBs I am doing well, getting kills and awards pretty steady.  Maybe rethink dismissing people so fast.  You obviously didn't do ANY research on how I got here.  Help from MANY people in this forum and TONS of practice and study of Videos.  Save youe aloof  wanna be elite [edited] for another thread.

Col OUT!

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
312 posts
5 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

This post will get new CA players utterly destroyed in higher tier, BB heavy games.

Edit: Ill give some advice I normally dont offer to help them. Always have an escape plan.  

I play BBs in  T7-T9 and the brave GOOD CA drivers roast my [edited]too.  I play  DD, CA and BB so I know.  Yeah I Delete them  but a good CA driver will outmaneuver you and toast your [edited]in open water if they know how.  I do it to them,,,they do it to me.  Its GREAT!

[MIA-P]
Members
661 posts
6,296 battles

I don't really understand this conversation around if island camping cruisers are good or bad. Like, we don't have to choose guys.

Also: for most cruisers sitting behind an island isn't about protection. Not really. It's about being able to permanently position yourself somewhere important, often in radar range or with good gun angles on a cap, in a way that focus fire or BBs turning their guns towards you cannot immediately push you away. It's about area denial for enemy DDs. Plus, being an island camper means that your speed is not linked to your protection (since you have no need to dodge), meaning that you can more precisely control how much pressure you put on the enemy. Adding to that is that you are typically closer to the enemy- allowing you to react more suddenly and decisively to pushes or openings. Anyone who finds island camping boring is doing it wrong.

But again, we don't have to choose. Certain cruisers with flatter arcs, longer ranges and more speed/maneuverability tend to perform better in a kiting/flanking role; pushing the enemy away by threatening to create crossfires with inside-edge BBs and raking in the average damage numbers. There is no reason why anyone needs to limit themeselves to a single playstyle; not even in a single match let alone over their entire career in this game.

Edited by senseNOTmade

Members
1,805 posts
9,372 battles
3 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I play BBs in  T7-T9 and the brave GOOD CA drivers roast my [edited]too.  I play  DD, CA and BB so I know.  Yeah I Delete them  but a good CA driver will outmaneuver you and toast your [edited]in open water if they know how.  I do it to them,,,they do it to me.  Its GREAT!

That brave CA is probably me, but I also use islands. There is a time and place for both in this game.

[GOB]
Members
312 posts
1 hour ago, 10T0nHammer said:

I tried playing in open water yesterday in my Hipper. I was spawned at C in Okinawa, north side. Between the CV and the DDs, I was perma lit. I think I lasted about 5 minutes before I was sunk bow on. I couldn't turn around and one of the BBs still managed to land a cit for half my health. Fun :cap_popcorn:

Apparently I'm not qualified to give advice  according to some here BUT  I always keep moving always turning and keeping my sides away from harm.. Turn behind cover and have guns ready for when you come out.  I'm a Randoms Newb and up to T8 I'm doing fine BUT I did do thousands of coop to practice and MOST people on this forum are really happy to help you out with advice.  Tons of videos too.  SO happy I'm in Randoms now and I actually help the team.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,579 battles

What a stupid thread.

0c6ajOw.jpg

qSFiqag.jpg

Go ahead and you clowns give Battleships what they want.

Why the f--k do you think Battleships like to shoot at Cruisers first instead of another Battleship if at all possible?  Because you're easy to crush.

But do go on and give those Battleships what they want.

What a stupid thread.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 4

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles
17 minutes ago, Octavian_of_Roma said:

Agreed.  While some ships/lines are built for it, most are not.

Atlanta disagrees with this post.

Bad advice is bad advice.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,579 battles

So.

FSweEjv.jpg

Dumb.

NEjcJXr.jpg

So.

KqivMfg.jpg

Freaking.

xzShbKx.jpg

Dumb.

xzShbKx.jpg

Giving Battleships what they want.

So stupid.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
460 posts
2,887 battles
18 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

I was waiting for that guy!!  ( YOU!  )  I knew a hater would say just that.  I think it is because I have so few Randoms and have CONSISTENTLY scored high that people like you need to cut that down Sorry that it didn't take me 3000 Randoms to come in and rock it.  I did over 2500 coop to practice so I EARNED it.  Don't hate pr dismiss it.  Says alot about you.  I TRAINED for this and in My DDs and my CAs AND my BBs I am doing well, getting kills and awards pretty steady.  Maybe rethink dismissing people so fast.  You obviously didn't do ANY research on how I got here.  Help from MANY people in this forum and TONS of practice and study of Videos.  Save youe aloof  wanna be elite [edited] for another thread.

Col OUT!

23k damage average in 10 games doesn't exactly qualify as "rocking it"...but you do you, I guess.

Again, I'll keep doing what I'm doing, as it seems to be working quite well for me. 

Members
636 posts
7,580 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

What a stupid thread.

Go ahead and you clowns give Battleships what they want.

Why the f--k do you think Battleships like to shoot at Cruisers first instead of another Battleship if at all possible?  Because you're easy to crush.

But do go on and give those Battleships what they want.

What a stupid thread.

No no Haze.  This is exactly what newer cruisers players should do.  Stronkest winning tactic.

"Queues up BB following OPs advice."

7 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

Apparently I'm not qualified to give advice  according to some here BUT  I always keep moving always turning and keeping my sides away from harm.. Turn behind cover and have guns ready for when you come out.  I'm a Randoms Newb and up to T8 I'm doing fine BUT I did do thousands of coop to practice and MOST people on this forum are really happy to help you out with advice.  Tons of videos too.  SO happy I'm in Randoms now and I actually help the team.

Welcome to randoms.

Nobody says you can't give advice, but lets be perfectly clear here.  You are giving absolute crap advice that will get cruiser players slaughtered, especially at high tier.

Certain ships and lines can and do thrive in this style, but you have to thread the needle very carefully.  US CLs is not that line.  Keep trying this in open water as you go up and let me know how things turn out.

Sorry mate, 112 random games an advice master does not make.

Good luck.