Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Give away Steel as a playtest reward!

46 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,910
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,469 posts
6,065 battles

I saw the "Supersized" reward for the playtest.  Kudos, its a step in the right direction.

The personal problem for me is that I already have every Tier 6 premium I want.  So how about something money can't buy?

Give out steel as a playtest reward. 

Honestly, I only have about 10k steel, and I'm not even sure what I would do with more, as there are no steel ships that I want right now.   But it seems like if you want some dramatic participation in play test, you should give away a resource that can't be bought, and is hard to acquire.  Ergo, steel.

I'm sure there will be some people who get their knickers in a bunch over this suggestion. . . like every suggestion.  But it does make sense to reward people who are willing to go above and beyond to support the game.

The benefit to the rest of us is that with more thorough testing by a larger player sample, game features will come out better balanced and won't have to be tweaked as much post-release.

  • Cool 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
800
[LBA]
Beta Testers, Alpha Tester
2,582 posts

Honestly, since I was away from the game for a while and I'm still playing catchup, I'd even take coal...

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,445
[HYDRO]
Members
2,800 posts
4,579 battles

Be careful what you wish for. Increased avenues of getting Steel will only lead to increased Steel prices of ships.

  • Cool 2
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,980
[OO7]
Members
4,234 posts
10,898 battles

They were going to give us steel once upon a time to test out cross server clan battles and then took away the opportunity to test it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,218
[WOLFG]
Members
4,419 posts
2,416 battles
8 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Inflation is dangerous comrade.

Image result for Weimar Republic Wheelbarrow of Money

They give away more steel, the cost of ships is going up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
344
[90THB]
Members
1,059 posts
9,552 battles

Inflation of course doesnt have to exist. It only exists in the model of capitalism because the supply side can, not because it has to.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,910
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,469 posts
6,065 battles
12 minutes ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Inflation is dangerous comrade.

Well it's an unlimited supply of a digital good (steel or ships for steel).    Inflation occurs only where there is increasing demand against a limited supply.  There's no particular reason they would have to increase the price, unless they wanted to.

But since you can't buy steel, it doesn't affect their bottom line to leave the price for steel ships where they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
94 posts
632 battles
33 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

So how about something money can't buy?

WG did make a steel monster campaign where you pay to get access to and can get steel that way

Either way, unless you are a collector, there is no reason to get the steel ships because if you want income, the JB and Salem have equal bonuses as Black and Stalin respectively.

Aside from Neustrashimy, none of the steel ships are particularly strong, you are much better off getting the coal ships (especially the Georgia in its currently iteration is quite overpowered)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56
[S_C_N]
Beta Testers
220 posts
1,236 battles
38 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Honestly, since I was away from the game for a while and I'm still playing catchup, I'd even take coal...

Amen :Smile_teethhappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,910
[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,469 posts
6,065 battles
2 minutes ago, DolphinPrincess said:

WG did make a steel monster campaign where you pay to get access to and can get steel that way

Either way, unless you are a collector, there is no reason to get the steel ships because if you want income, the JB and Salem have equal bonuses as Black and Stalin respectively.

Aside from Neustrashimy, none of the steel ships are particularly strong, you are much better off getting the coal ships (especially the Georgia in its currently iteration is quite overpowered)

Shush.  Georgia is just fine as is!  ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
851
[R-F]
Members
1,179 posts
7,804 battles
15 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Well it's an unlimited supply of a digital good (steel or ships for steel).    Inflation occurs only where there is increasing demand against a limited supply.  There's no particular reason they would have to increase the price, unless they wanted to.

But since you can't buy steel, it doesn't affect their bottom line to leave the price for steel ships where they are.

You're correct, and also that is exactly what they're doing.

"Just to keep in mind, at the time the Black was released an economy for Steel really didn't exist so most people had little to spend.  Consider Steel Monsters campaign, holiday missions, Snowflakes, more seasons of Ranked/CB and there is a lot more Steel available than there used to be. " - RadarX, explaining why Neustrashimy costs 50% more than Black.  Literally "you guys have more steel now so we're charging you more steel for things".

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
748
[SKDSH]
[SKDSH]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,096 posts
11,075 battles
55 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

Give out steel as a playtest reward. 

 I would do play testing again if they did this !  

:Smile_honoring:

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,544
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,236 posts
10,899 battles
1 hour ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

Honestly, since I was away from the game for a while and I'm still playing catchup, I'd even take coal...

I have enough coal to start a coal terminal. :Smile_izmena:
proj_merc_gal1-450x216.jpg

1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Be careful what you wish for. Increased avenues of getting Steel will only lead to increased Steel prices of ships.

Other methods outside of Ranked and CB would be nice even if they operate at much slower rates than you can earn in Ranked and CV.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,445
[HYDRO]
Members
2,800 posts
4,579 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

Other methods outside of Ranked and CB would be nice even if they operate at much slower rates than you can earn in Ranked and CV.

In theory this makes alot of sense, everybody wins.

In practice WG 5 months after the Snowflake event released Neustrashimy at about 50% higher cost than Black. They control the availability and the pricing, and based on the recent case, when they increase availability they increase the price.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
205
[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Members
308 posts
17,843 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

I saw the "Supersized" reward for the playtest.  Kudos, its a step in the right direction.

The personal problem for me is that I already have every Tier 6 premium I want.  So how about something money can't buy?

Give out steel as a playtest reward. 

Honestly, I only have about 10k steel, and I'm not even sure what I would do with more, as there are no steel ships that I want right now.   But it seems like if you want some dramatic participation in play test, you should give away a resource that can't be bought, and is hard to acquire.  Ergo, steel.

I'm sure there will be some people who get their knickers in a bunch over this suggestion. . . like every suggestion.  But it does make sense to reward people who are willing to go above and beyond to support the game.

The benefit to the rest of us is that with more thorough testing by a larger player sample, game features will come out better balanced and won't have to be tweaked as much post-release.

No. Steel should remain a competitive currency only. The last time the amount of steel was expanded, we ended up with a T9 DD costing 40% more than the last T9 steel DD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,612
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,165 battles

I am kind of torn, I like the idea of better rewards for PTS (and honestly this batch looks good) but not so sure about using steel. Maybe a bit of steel, not too much. Dunno. 

The big problem with using the PTS is it halts your grind. The game is such a freaking grind anyways, taking time out to play on the test server interrupts that. Maybe giving players Free XP or Elite XP they earned on the PTS to their Live server account, something along those lines. It is one reason I only dabbled a bit on the PTS, just don't have the time and don't want to interrupt my slooooowww but steady progress on my live account.. I like this new batch of rewards and think this will get more people using it, only time will tell, but it is a huge move in the right direction and Wargaming should be applauded for making this change. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
675
[O7]
Members
993 posts
14,159 battles
1 hour ago, TheDreadnought said:

Well it's an unlimited supply of a digital good (steel or ships for steel).    Inflation occurs only where there is increasing demand against a limited supply.  There's no particular reason they would have to increase the price, unless they wanted to.

But since you can't buy steel, it doesn't affect their bottom line to leave the price for steel ships where they are.

Theyre already increasing steel prices after having just made steel super easy to get

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,218
[WOLFG]
Members
4,419 posts
2,416 battles

Good for players that only want 1 of the older steel ships.

Bad for competitive players/hoarders collectors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,302
[WGA]
Administrator
1,177 posts
481 battles

As you can see we've been heavily discussing changing up PTS rewards to ensure everyone feels playing is both meaningful and rewarding.  Given that Steel is considered a pretty rare currency, it's unlikely this will be done in the near future but are there other alternatives can you think of?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,612
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,165 battles
1 minute ago, Radar_X said:

As you can see we've been heavily discussing changing up PTS rewards to ensure everyone feels playing is both meaningful and rewarding.  Given that Steel is considered a pretty rare currency, it's unlikely this will be done in the near future but are there other alternatives can you think of?

Well as I said, Free XP and/or Elite XP for use on the live server since playing on the PTS cuts into your grind. Any of the resources would be good like oil and coal. I like the idea of giving a premium ship out for those who complete all the things on the PTS, that is a great reward. Well done. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,693 posts
13 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

As you can see we've been heavily discussing changing up PTS rewards to ensure everyone feels playing is both meaningful and rewarding.  Given that Steel is considered a pretty rare currency, it's unlikely this will be done in the near future but are there other alternatives can you think of?

Give a conversion rate of earned material on the PT to the Live Server.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,445
[HYDRO]
Members
2,800 posts
4,579 battles
19 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

As you can see we've been heavily discussing changing up PTS rewards to ensure everyone feels playing is both meaningful and rewarding.  Given that Steel is considered a pretty rare currency, it's unlikely this will be done in the near future but are there other alternatives can you think of?

Since Armory is going well, why not give players the ability to earn "PTS" tokens that are earned by doing various tasks (including providing proper feedback) that they can exchange on the relevant section of rewards  on the live server as they see fit? 

 

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,218
[WOLFG]
Members
4,419 posts
2,416 battles
21 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

As you can see we've been heavily discussing changing up PTS rewards to ensure everyone feels playing is both meaningful and rewarding.  Given that Steel is considered a pretty rare currency, it's unlikely this will be done in the near future but are there other alternatives can you think of?

Cash.  And none of them Schrute bucks.

As others have said, coal/free xp.

Edited by DrHolmes52

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
362
[INTEL]
Members
1,393 posts
10,071 battles
12 minutes ago, Radar_X said:

As you can see we've been heavily discussing changing up PTS rewards to ensure everyone feels playing is both meaningful and rewarding.  Given that Steel is considered a pretty rare currency, it's unlikely this will be done in the near future but are there other alternatives can you think of?

Thanks for bumping up the rewards.  It's a bit more work but I can see that as in line with increasing the commitment to do more testing.

Some other considerations:

  1. Premium signal bundles
  2. Premium time that can be used as needed, not just when rewarded
    1. A code for 7 days, 3 days or Weekend Pass of Premium time?  This could be sent via email.
  3. Premium containers and bundles
    1. If not that, a special PTS crate that contains smaller amounts of the #1 and #2

You're including signals as rewards now.  Include more of the special signals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×