You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hulks

Idea: Making waves - better ocean design

11 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
3,078 battles

Ever been on the ocean?

It occurred to me that the seas in our wonderful game are really flat and calm. I'd like to see some waves and roll to make the game feel more like being on the ocean.

It could be that when looking through the scope it isn't bumpy but when zoomed out it would be magnificent if we had rolling oceans :)

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Members
6,709 posts

I'd love some sea states, but that would be a slippery slope into taking into account things like stability that would turn rapidly into a mess. Not every nation had gyro mounted guns and that would start to matter when the bows are pitching between 20-25 degrees (SS5-6) and unfortunately the reality is the more complain-y nations in this game typically had the worst sea-handling/stability.

Edited by _RC1138

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,469 posts
6,065 battles
13 minutes ago, Hulks said:

Ever been on the ocean?

It occurred to me that the seas in our wonderful game are really flat and calm. I'd like to see some waves and roll to make the game feel more like being on the ocean.

It could be that when looking through the scope it isn't bumpy but when zoomed out it would be magnificent if we had rolling oceans :)

Then the ships would have to roll too.  That might be a lot of programming FX/load on the computer for low-powered machines.  But maybe not.

Members
1,876 posts
5,819 battles

And then the crying and moaning that no one can hit anything would start. We had fog at one time the uproar was instant they got rid of it.

[-V1-]
Members
343 posts
6,178 battles

Aslain's has a mod that will give you waves and I use it as I like the effect.

[REVY]
Members
1,206 posts
8,734 battles

Has anyone been on ocean when a thunderstorm or cyclone comes through?

How about a version of ocean where there is a constant thunderstorm/cyclone with reduced vis throughout the battle instead of just for a short period?

[WOLF2]
Members
3,065 posts
14,805 battles
1 hour ago, Hulks said:

Ever been on the ocean?

So you want us to throw-up playing a game we're already sick of playing?

If they could throw in the occasional "Man Overboard!" … it might be worth it!

Edited by Commander_367

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,307 posts
20,165 battles

Maybe they should focus on fixing the game before adding any more crap. They just keep adding crap to the game when there are problems in with the game right now. How about you just bounce up and down in yer chair and pretend you are at sea. 

• Funny 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,999 posts
14,078 battles

If you mean as a cosmetic thing, check out the mods that already add this.

If you mean it as a gameplay thing, it would be a problem if ships just pitched up and took a hit in the citadel because a wave came by.

[SCREW]
Members
218 posts
10,004 battles
2 hours ago, Raven114 said:

And then the crying and moaning that no one can hit anything would start. We had fog at one time the uproar was instant they got rid of it.

Yeah, the mentally deficient always cry when they have to put effort into this game. 

[BS]
Members
1,376 posts
7,635 battles

War Thunder models real waves and the ships interaction with them, check out videos of the PT boats hopping over the waves.

Edited by HorrorRoach