You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Stauffenberg44

Jutland - A Reality Check

5 comments in this topic

Members
3,921 posts
8,427 battles

Waaay back in the day a group of friends and I headed over to the one guy's house who had a room in the basement with a blue floor. Ensconced there for the weekend we would  play out the infamous Jutland, "the boardgame without a board." Armed with the counters, rules, plot maps, task forces boards, time record sheets, range finders and measuring sticks we would deploy some 70+ ships and game it out, slowly and laboriously. For those not familiar with the game here's what it looked like:

Spoiler

436986344_Jutland4.jpg.be7b51aa96e1ac5b433961d12c5c3906.jpg

195900530_Jutland1.jpg.d03c90bb468ef1ea63270dfe1bfffafe.jpg

1457407271_Jutland3.jpg.c11c9fdb0ef6bb09178a168635e67d47.jpg

1939580913_Jutland2.jpg.1f43350dab5ad15369d9759dbb2d62bb.jpg

Tremendous broadsides from fleets inline, damaged behemoths staggering off trying to get out of range, DDs darting in with bad weather to launch their torps, or creating their own weather with smoke screens... it all happened at the speed of a turtle given the prodigious calculations we had to do. I recall it was addictive, and exhausting. One pal of mine at some point said, "Just think, some day you will play this all out and computers will do the work!" (this was 25 years before the home computer appeared). "Yeah right!" was the dubious consensus. Think about that before you are again tempted to complain about RNG or MM-=-at least you don't have to do the calculations manually.

• Cool 5

[-DPF-]
Members
774 posts
8,992 battles

I bought this game from Avalon Hill back in the 70's and loved it!  I wish that we had a closer computer analog, but I also love WoWS.  I particularly enjoy playing the Tier IV - VI ships from the WW I era.:Smile_medal:

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
863 posts
13,281 battles

Nice! I got my start in gaming in a similar way. Played a lot of the old Amarillo Design Bureau games, in particular. My favorite Was Star Fleet Battles which, if Wikipedia can be believed, was conceived by someone very familiar with the Jutland game and rule set.

Most of us playing Star Fleet Battles said the same thing. "Some day computers will do all the calculations and we can play in half an hour a battle that takes us all day." And when Starfleet Command arrived it was a dream come true. That's actually how ICOP got started, way back in 1999. A bunch of middle-aged guys playing a game we had loved since we were in our teens.

Thanks for the reminder about a great game, brother!

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

Members
3,921 posts
8,427 battles
7 minutes ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

I bought this game from Avalon Hill back in the 70's and loved it!  I wish that we had a closer computer analog, but I also love WoWS.  I particularly enjoy playing the Tier IV - VI ships from the WW I era.:Smile_medal:

Yes likewise, but I want to see them finally add pre-dreadnoughts for Tier II-III:

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
3,148 posts
11,000 battles

My first exposure was Seapower II. Was to cheap to buy all the 1200 scale metal ships so we could fit all the battles on a ping-pong table (with occasional universal shifts to keep everything on the table). Lots of dice. Computers would have been nice.