You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

11 comments in this topic

[KNCOL]
Members
360 posts
1,374 battles

Curious if anyone has any captain builds on ships the are unique/different that change the ship up in a fun way.

I was planning on giving the shiratsuyu some gun boat skills when it got me thinking what weird builds have other people mad

[ARGSY]
Members
10,191 posts
6,652 battles
43 minutes ago, Koogus said:

it got me thinking what weird builds have other people mad

I think you meant "made", but if we are talking about stuff that should only ever be tried out on the PTS - where captain respecs are as good as free - then I once tried a secondary-spec build in the Edinburgh. It makes sense in co-op, where you are often far closer to bots than you would ever want to be to a human opponent. I would advise against MFCS in this case, though; you want them to be able to go off on their own as a warning when you're being charged in smoke, or when you have your hands full dodging stuff.

[DDCO]
Members
29 posts
10,193 battles
Spoiler

I have always built capt. skills to augment the ships strengths. The only time I change that is when I take them into clan wars as we don't need AA builds. Swapping out damage skills for things like reload skills can be lucrative if not alittle dangerous. All depends on your style of play.

Members
22,306 posts
5,778 battles

I went with a secondary build on Amagi, after they switched the AP secondaries for HE. Pretty fun lol.

[5BS]
Members
6,714 posts
1 hour ago, Koogus said:

Curious if anyone has any captain builds on ships the are unique/different that change the ship up in a fun way.

I was planning on giving the shiratsuyu some gun boat skills when it got me thinking what weird builds have other people mad

With AFT gone, my Mino goes:

PM/PT, SSE/LS, SE/SI/VI, CE. IDK that I'd take PT or VI on any other cruiser but it makes sense, sorta, on Mino, and there's a glut of points that would normally be spent elsewhere on a CL (7 between DE/IFHE have 0 use on the secondary-less/HE-less Minotaur).

I use a secondary build on my Colorado that is strangely satisfying (an shares with Captains with Mass) that goes:

PM/PT, EM, SI, IFHE/MS/AFT

7.2 km Secondaries with staggering accuracy, she's a death snail that if you get her in range, will tear most ships apart.

[MIA-P]
Members
660 posts
6,294 battles

I'm afraid there really isn't too much choice when it comes to captain builds. Some ships you can make more secondaries focused, but it's usually more for fun than performance. Same for AA builds. It can be argued that BBs and kiting cruisers should shift from concealment to survival skills now that CVs are all over the place, but most such ships aren't particularly dependent on captain skills anyway so they can usually afford most survival skills in addition to the four points needed for concealment. Really, the only controversial thing I do when it comes to captain skills is avoid Basic Firing Training on my Atlanta and other USN CLs. In my view trying to stretch out the ranges of these ships only encourages bad habits- allowing you to engage the enemy in situations where you're always at a disadvantage. Plus, it makes you easier to spot while island camping. This is also why I never unlock the range upgrades on the tech tree ships, and kinda wish the Worcester had an option to 'downgrade' her range to something around 13-15km.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,476 posts
6,073 battles
1 hour ago, Koogus said:

I run a partial secondary build Yamato and Amagi.  Does that count?

People do freak out when they see a Yamato agressively pushing mid game.  LOL

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles

My Hindenburg captain has a build that is more typical of a BB survival build than the typical cruiser build. With the Unique Upgrade I basically ignore fire and floods.

[P2W]
Members
206 posts
8,873 battles
19 minutes ago, HashtagYoloSwagChamp said:

Does Gun-Boat Shima still count as weird?

Tell me more about this build - I'm finding the traditional torp-based on to be limited in the new CV-heavy meta, so I'd like to give it a try.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,476 posts
6,073 battles
15 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

My Hindenburg captain has a build that is more typical of a BB survival build than the typical cruiser build. With the Unique Upgrade I basically ignore fire and floods.

I still need to get my upgrade.  Got to the 15 wins mission and got burnt out.  Don't feel like playing a bunch of co-op games to finish it out.   Been working on GKs for a while instead.