You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NoSoMo

Speed Boost is survival - NOT SPOTTING

23 comments in this topic

[-WTP-]
Members
1,139 posts
2,148 battles

Okay so this massive speed boost nerf under the guise of "spotting" is just not the way it works.  The fastest aircraft, the light rocket aircraft, have about 5 seconds of boost.  5 seconds of boost on the lightest armor isn't about spotting, at all.  BBs are spotted by pretty much everything, AA ships are spotted when they fire, and rocket aircraft getting fired at, get shredded.  The best "hang around" spotters are Torp bombers in attack run w/ engine cooling not used at all.  Perfect speed, under flak, and they can drop some torps if desired.  The rocket aircraft on the other hand, which are hit the hardest (11%) by this nerf have no survivability.  This nerf ends their ability to RUN from AA without taking massive loses.  Never mind the fact they already get shredded by engaging the wrong ship without getting off an attack.  Now they'll stumble on something and just get deleted.  Nowhere else in the game has an arbitrary number been used in place of a percentage.  The engine boost isn't a variable that needs tweaked, at all.  Did I mention it's 5 seconds?

A CV like Graf where its only survival mechanic on its T7 aircraft IS speed, takes the biggest blow.  All light aircraft take massive blows by this.  CVs are nearly balanced.  They're at a point where MINOR tweaks need worked on (AA itself is a whole other topic which is undoubtedly in need of rework -- no question about the massive discrepency in that realm).   Since the proof is in the pudding so to speak , this ~11% nerf that truly has nothing to do with spotting, needs to be added back via Adrenaline Rush commander skill that sees fleeing aircraft taking damage get a little extra speed to get out of trouble.  If "spotting" is the guise for this nerf, then adrenaline rush bump is required to see that this mechanism is still in place for what it was actually used for, which is getting away from aerial denial zones that were accidentally stumbled upon.

Edited by NoSoMo

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,307 posts
3,302 battles

I don't think their reasoning on that is about spotting.  I think the engine consumable nerf is about it's use to slow down bombers and rockets so they can target and drop on DDs in the short window they have from spotting them..  On a good number of the squads  the only way you can do this is to use the engine "boost" consumable to slow it down enough that you can manage to get a drop off?   Just a suspicion of mine..    

[-BRS-]
Members
2,545 posts
15,796 battles

Just turn your aa off it'll solve everything,  oh wait that's the wrong line.

Oh yeah just overcome and adapt.

• Funny 3
  • Boring 1

[-BRS-]
Members
451 posts
9,025 battles

Silver, I'd add.....   "Just dodge".    Oh that's the wrong line too, my bad.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

The boost is also a damage nerf (takes longer to get planes on target) and a spotting nerf (takes longer to cross the map).  Planes will now spend more time in AA (nerf to potential DPS) and find it harder to avoid AA (as stated above).  All of which is very odd given that stats prove CVs are doing 5-10% less damage to most ship types (TLTS). 

I am guessing WG is trying to cut the CV population for some odd reason? There's not been a lot of sense to their CV nerfs lately other than to try to balance in DDs that won't be really rock, paper, or scissors until subs arrive.

[CIAO]
[CIAO]
Members
525 posts
21,531 battles
10 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

The boost is also a damage nerf (takes longer to get planes on target) and a spotting nerf (takes longer to cross the map).  Planes will now spend more time in AA (nerf to potential DPS) and find it harder to avoid AA (as stated above).  All of which is very odd given that stats prove CVs are doing 5-10% less damage to most ship types (TLTS). 

I am guessing WG is trying to cut the CV population for some odd reason? There's not been a lot of sense to their CV nerfs lately other than to try to balance in DDs that won't be really rock, paper, or scissors until subs arrive.

It might just be that they are making the game less fun for everyone not driving one. 

• Cool 1

[-WTP-]
Members
1,139 posts
2,148 battles
24 minutes ago, gillhunter said:

It might just be that they are making the game less fun for everyone not driving one. 

That's stealth torp'n DDs you're thinking about.  Those have been the #1 fun killer for years.  I enjoy wasting planes in my cruisers and get rather disappointed at the dwindling CV drivers when I want to go out and smoke some aircraft.  Nothing more upsetting than taking an AA ship into a match only to not have any aircraft to shoot down.

• Boring 1

[-WTP-]
Members
1,139 posts
2,148 battles
44 minutes ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

Can't dodge continuous DPS, you can dodge aircraft rather easily though.  I remember when I couldn't use a ship class either, I'd make posts like this trying to downplay my own lack of skills, claiming that the issue was game mechanics when I couldn't drive the class defensively.   

Edited by NoSoMo
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[STP]
Beta Testers
3,288 posts
12,371 battles

I think that what they want. Nerf again the cvs (what is nothing new on wows) util they make they unplayable again.

[-BRS-]
Members
451 posts
9,025 battles
17 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

Can't dodge continuous DPS, you can dodge aircraft rather easily though.  I remember when I couldn't use a ship class either, I'd make posts like this trying to downplay my own lack of skills, claiming that the issue was game mechanics when I couldn't drive the class defensively.   

Checks stats....finds that accuser has hidden their stats while making a quality of play comment without the ability to backup said comment...sad.

Meanwhile, I'll throw my tier 9 and 10 DD stats here.   I think I know how to drive them.

image.thumb.png.ec838d92cb681e4645c749252771413b.png

[WOLFC]
Members
900 posts
5,995 battles
25 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

That's stealth torp'n DDs you're thinking about.  Those have been the #1 fun killer for years.  I enjoy wasting planes in my cruisers and get rather disappointed at the dwindling CV drivers when I want to go out and smoke some aircraft.  Nothing more upsetting than taking an AA ship into a match only to not have any aircraft to shoot down.

Yup...the amount of CV involved battles is down which makes taking an AA spec'd boat a bit of a crap shoot.

[MHG]
[MHG]
Members
227 posts
3,463 battles
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

Okay so this massive speed boost nerf under the guise of "spotting" is just not the way it works.  The fastest aircraft, the light rocket aircraft, have about 5 seconds of boost.  5 seconds of boost on the lightest armor isn't about spotting, at all.  BBs are spotted by pretty much everything, AA ships are spotted when they fire, and rocket aircraft getting fired at, get shredded.  The best "hang around" spotters are Torp bombers in attack run w/ engine cooling not used at all.  Perfect speed, under flak, and they can drop some torps if desired.  The rocket aircraft on the other hand, which are hit the hardest (11%) by this nerf have no survivability.  This nerf ends their ability to RUN from AA without taking massive loses.  Never mind the fact they already get shredded by engaging the wrong ship without getting off an attack.  Now they'll stumble on something and just get deleted.  Nowhere else in the game has an arbitrary number been used in place of a percentage.  The engine boost isn't a variable that needs tweaked, at all.  Did I mention it's 5 seconds?

A CV like Graf where its only survival mechanic on its T7 aircraft IS speed, takes the biggest blow.  All light aircraft take massive blows by this.  CVs are nearly balanced.  They're at a point where MINOR tweaks need worked on (AA itself is a whole other topic which is undoubtedly in need of rework -- no question about the massive discrepency in that realm).   Since the proof is in the pudding so to speak , this ~11% nerf that truly has nothing to do with spotting, needs to be added back via Adrenaline Rush commander skill that sees fleeing aircraft taking damage get a little extra speed to get out of trouble.  If "spotting" is the guise for this nerf, then adrenaline rush bump is required to see that this mechanism is still in place for what it was actually used for, which is getting away from aerial denial zones that were accidentally stumbled upon.

I think this change will be the end of the average CV player. Boost is used to get in and out of the continual AA damage zones enough so that CV planes are melted- at least that is how it should be used. Using boost to spot targets was never a good strategy. This change is going to hurt all CVs in general and more so the CVs with lower tier planes, Kaga for example. Bottom tier planes simply cant afford to be stuck in the short and medium range AA bubbles any longer than they have to be. Dropping that boost speed is going to make them hell to play.

[INTEL]
Members
1,244 posts
10,931 battles

Rocket planes added, perfect for punishing DD's.. DDs need to adapt.

DB mechanics made so much easier that everyone not a CV can get wrecked... everyone needs to adapt.

AA nerfed to an absurd level... just adapt.

CV gets a consumable nerf.... OMG, ITS THE END OF THE CV!!! BALE OUT, ABANDON SHIP, WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, MAYDAY, MAYDAY 

Edited by Ares1967
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[GREIF]
[GREIF]
Members
235 posts
1,717 battles
2 hours ago, silverdahc said:

Just turn your aa off it'll solve everything,  oh wait that's the wrong line.

Oh yeah just overcome and adapt.

lol...

[GREIF]
[GREIF]
Members
235 posts
1,717 battles
2 hours ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

and more LoLz...

[-BRS-]
Members
451 posts
9,025 battles
1 hour ago, warlock_xxxx said:

and more LoLz...

Dude, that is a sick pipeline in your avatar.  +1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
4,055 posts
14,116 battles

They're not really being opaque about it, they said in the same paragraph that it's a nerf to high tier planes. Although I doubt many people understand just how big of a nerf it is.

[SCREW]
Members
218 posts
10,066 battles
3 hours ago, NoSoMo said:

Rocket planes are capable of doing tens of thousands of damage to anything they fire at at tier 10. That's 10k+ damage, plus setting fires. They SHOULD be easily killed off by AA ships. That's the trade-off. And frankly, if you're attacking or getting near AA ships, you should absolutely lose them. 

[-WTP-]
Members
1,139 posts
2,148 battles

Let me be clear what this is going to do.

1) Midway DBs no longer penalized for maneuvering during drop - BAD for DDs and fast turning ships
2) All aircraft boost speed nerfed making targeting AA boats off limits -- DDs and BBs forced targeting now
3) Midway DB ret stretched - Bad for everything under it -- right now they go off to the sides, elongating it putting more area on the ship -- oops
4) Speed change -- little to no effect on on DBs and TBs
5) Delayed take offs -- allows for ships to get further into mistakes distancing themselves from teams.  GOOD for CV, not good for ships that can't take back the last 45 seconds of distance traveled.  Bad for CV damage output, that's 45 seconds less to perform little cuts where matches avg 10-12m.  The illusion that it has to deal with "positioning" and "tactics" -- look, I'll be honest, I've got the same set of ships on my side.  I know their speed, I know their locations.  I know exactly where to find any ship in the first 2 minutes of the game, just as the other side does.  It's always a mirror image, there is no surprise.  Nobody who regularly plays the game on the same maps we've been using for years, has any question where ships are the first few minutes of the game.   Nobody has any questions about where specific ship types are found, or if there's a division and its BB is spotted, where its cruiser or DD is.  By process of elimination and grouping, you know who is where.  These are the subtleties we've all come to know.

Under 8.3, I'm willing to trade some rocket aircraft to slap around AA ships.  This is a newer tactic I use, it swipes health and causes a bit of chaos.  In it's place will be stealth under the island torp bombers.  They can run their entire detection range under flak and terrain essentially making them ship-like detection.  I fly them down on the deck, between islands.  On the right map, they're the slickest of the slick when they come between the rocks or pop up and over an island to drop.  They're rather awesome to come from the back of island campers as well, run full detection range under flak, drop on the camper, pop up and over the island initiating another torp run sending them back down to the deck.  Want to talk about slick spotting?  Using TB in their attack mode but not actually launching an attack.  They're below flak, down on the deck saying hello to everyone while giving the full moon.  TB have much higher health than rocket aircraft, and they have a rather nice healing consumable.  I've always got the TBs on deck unless I'm torp'n a DD.  There's just some sweet satisfaction in dropping torps on the back deck of a DD and watching them arm right as they catch them with the fan opening up just wide enough for no DD to slip through.  There is no sweeter satisfaction, especially when it's a notorious torp spammer, yeah, talk'n to you shima.

Some CVs damage farm.  I get it, you're a "ButMuhStats" kind of player.  I don't have to damage farm, and I won't target DDs unless they pose a threat to something that can't counter them.  2 DDs, the team gets first crack at them. 4 DDs, well the team is going to naturally focus them.  A DD I've yet see pop up on the map, I'm waiting for you;  I've prepared the "Rabid Dead Dog Achievement" especially for you.  I like to support the team over all, turning various ships for the BBs to citadel.  I'll even ask which way they'd like them to face.  The "Ouchy Boo Boo Achievement" cruiser running off to the back of the map looking to heal after taking a scratch?  OMW.  HE spam'n smoked up cruiser?  Cross torp action in bound.  CVs don't have any alpha, but they can bring chaos, and I'm happy to make it rain.  125-150k damage a game is fine for me.  I'm getting confederate 1:2 matches.  When I see the end-of-game team map and every single red has shot down one of my aircraft, I've done my job (and the DDs clearly don't understand what P does).  There's only so much I can do for my tators though.  For the "ILuvMuhStats" crowd, I like them too, you're a threat to the win and I'll give a little extra attention to you and your division buddies. 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,720 posts
9,439 battles

Countering this speed boost nerf is a matter of attacking empty ocean, reduce your squadron to 1-2 or however many attack runs you can expect to make. This way you preserve planes.

The DPS loss also means CV has to get closer to the action--another I believe WG wants. Though admittedly it's tricky for a CV captain to judge how long he can be exposed, but if done right, it makes a difference since people stupid enough to hit a CV without certainty of 1-shotting give your team's BBs a breather. Had a couple wins this week already from baiting enemy fire in Midway.

[A_C_F]
Members
201 posts
3,193 battles
2 hours ago, Ares1967 said:

Rocket planes added, perfect for punishing DD's.. DDs need to adapt.

DB mechanics made so much easier that everyone not a CV can get wrecked... everyone needs to adapt.

AA nerfed to an absurd level... just adapt.

CV gets a consumable nerf.... OMG, ITS THE END OF THE CV!!! BALE OUT, ABANDON SHIP, WOMEN AND CHILDREN FIRST, MAYDAY, MAYDAY 

CV's have been hit with nerf bat several times already.  We've adapted to all the changes and found new ways to continue to play the class.

The ones who complain the most are the ones who haven't even tried to play CV's or adapt to the new gameplay.  I've been rotating through all different classes of ships and have had ZERO problems playing against CV's.  It may be because I know what CV's can and can't do as well knowing the ship I'm currently playing.  I'm not that good of a player either. 

When will players finally admit they barely tried to adjust their playstyle after the rework?

[-WTP-]
Members
1,139 posts
2,148 battles
36 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Countering this speed boost nerf is a matter of attacking empty ocean, reduce your squadron to 1-2 or however many attack runs you can expect to make. This way you preserve planes.

The DPS loss also means CV has to get closer to the action--another I believe WG wants. Though admittedly it's tricky for a CV captain to judge how long he can be exposed, but if done right, it makes a difference since people stupid enough to hit a CV without certainty of 1-shotting give your team's BBs a breather. Had a couple wins this week already from baiting enemy fire in Midway.

I too like baiting with the CV.  Nothing triggers rabid ship chasing better than seeing the "helpless" CV.  Not something you want to dangle in front of a BB, but getting a DD or cruiser to give chase, better yet, multiples.  Well now, they're citadel'd before they have a chance to realize what just occurred.   I ram'd a DD in the midway before and killed it.  Once at close quarters, nobody expects the CV to charge at them. Torp opportunities blown, little pea shooters offer little help against the HE spam'n broadside combined with DB's.  It was rather amusing to watch a DD get to the CV, blow its chances of torping only to have this monster of a ship to pew pew pew at.  Even the cruiser with him was at a loss.  They weren't expecting to be run down by the midway.  They both died by thinking they were going to chase it and spam HE on it.  That skirmish was hands down the most memorable moment in a CV for me.

[DOW]
[DOW]
Members
772 posts
24,964 battles
1 hour ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

Dude, that is a sick pipeline in your avatar.  +1

Agree, another +1 here lol.