You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Zaydin

A letter to DDs about trying to snipe CVs

72 comments in this topic

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts

Just don't do it. You are taking yourself out of the fight and away from contesting caps and such if you fixate on trying to sneak up and snipe the other teams CV. As it is, the CV will know as soon as you are in visual range and will start hunting you.

Ironically, trying to snipe a CV makes you simultaneously an easier target for the CV (Due to being alone with zero support) and a priority target, too.

Had a match where the Yugumo on my team circled all the way around the map to try and snipe the enemy CV. He failed, did next to nothing for the match and we lost badly.

• Cool 7
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,480 posts
8,156 battles

They do it to upset you because they know that when you sink them it's going to take more than 5 minutes to do so, and in all of that time you could have been farming damage on battleships. 

• Cool 3

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
2 minutes ago, NeoRussia said:

They do it to upset you because they know that when you sink them it's going to take more than 5 minutes to do so, and in all of that time you could have been farming damage on battleships. 

They are also taking themselves out of the fight when they could be contesting caps and bullying other ships away from them.

• Boring 1

[WMD]
Members
636 posts
6,514 battles
5 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

They are also taking themselves out of the fight when they could be contesting caps and bullying other ships away from them.

I think you mean, by having a CV in the game the DD is effectivly removed from much of the fight, and you don't want them to maybe sneak up on you to do damage while you're farming damage in your PvE mode.

• Cool 9
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[INTEL]
Members
9,805 posts
27,863 battles
1 minute ago, VeatherVitch said:

I think you mean, by having a CV in the game the DD is effectivly removed from much of the fight, and you don't want them to maybe sneak up on you to do damage while you're farming damage in your PvE mode.

BOOM!

• Boring 2

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
3 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

Pretty sure most players would rather have their teams DDs supporting at caps than taking themselves out of the fight for most of the game in a Quixotic effort to sink the other CV.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
3,421 posts
5,268 battles

There’s a time and a place for everything. Making a bold run at a CV when you know where they are later in the match can be decisive. Running off early to mid-match and trying to sniff out a previously undetected CV often just takes you out of the fight entirely. For DDs, the key is being able to locate, attack, and sink the enemy CV quickly. If you get stuck slugging it out with guns, you’ll end up in a battle of attrition that you can’t win. 

• Cool 2

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
1 minute ago, SkaerKrow said:

There’s a time and a place for everything. Making a bold run at a CV when you know where they are later in the match can be decisive. Running off early to mid-match and trying to sniff out a previously undetected CV often just takes you out of the fight entirely. For DDs, the key is being able to locate, attack, and sink the enemy CV quickly. If you get stuck slugging it out with guns, you’ll end up in a battle of attrition that you can’t win. 

In this case, it was on Warrior's Path and he circled around from C, past A and back towards C on the enemys side of the map, the south side, where the CV also was. As I said, he spent the whole match getting there and did nothing.

[WORX]
Members
3,270 posts
14,695 battles
41 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Just don't do it. You are taking yourself out of the fight and away from contesting caps and such if you fixate on trying to sneak up and snipe the other teams CV. As it is, the CV will know as soon as you are in visual range and will start hunting you.

Ironically, trying to snipe a CV makes you simultaneously an easier target for the CV (Due to being alone with zero support) and a priority target, too.

Had a match where the Yugumo on my team circled all the way around the map to try and snipe the enemy CV. He failed, did next to nothing for the match and we lost badly.

SInce I am assuming your talking about high tier game play.... DDs in high tier game play, is already restrictive... Sniping CVs was the DD job at low to mid tiers, high tiers. Its the BBs.

Its high tier game play, IMO high tier matches are boring because ships role are very restrictive.

Low to mid tiers... Man I snip CVs more often in torp DDs. If I am playing CV in tiers 4 and 6, I should exspect  a DD to hunt me down.

That is the current meta. It is what it is.

Edited by Navalpride33

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
1,007 posts
11,774 battles

A letter to CVs trying to bomb/torp/strafe [name of class of ship].

Just don't do it, you know you will be asking for it [hurts will begin], why take your ship out of the game, your team needs you to live and do stuff.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts
25 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

A letter to CVs trying to bomb/torp/strafe [name of class of ship].

Just don't do it, you know you will be asking for it [hurts will begin], why take your ship out of the game, your team needs you to live and do stuff.

Your troll falls flat because a carrier striking surface targets/resetting cap attempts by the other team is contributing to the match.

A DD fixated on trying to sneak past the other team to snipe the enemy CV is not.

[SPCU]
Members
782 posts
5,006 battles
51 minutes ago, Zaydin said:

Pretty sure most players would rather have their teams DDs supporting at caps than taking themselves out of the fight for most of the game in a Quixotic effort to sink the other CV.

Idk... i might prefer the dd to take a tilt at the windmill cv than the windmill cap with a cv in the match... that frees others to push up while the cvs attentions elsewhere... assuming the ally ships make use of the dds attempt... roll the dice...

[XG]
Members
226 posts
1 hour ago, Zaydin said:

I guess the Yugo didn't get the memo.

CV are supposed to be invulnerable, immortal, and untouchable  right? God forbid a CV gets attacked!

/sarcasm

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[TBOW]
Members
1,728 posts
12,115 battles

Guess what I welcome it!!  In a CV like the Enterprise, send me your DDs to chase me, I love this.  Why cause that 1 or 2 DDs that are not doing damage to the my teammates, he isn't getting a cap.  I can tie up 2 DDs for 10 minutes easily.

Edited by GrimmeReaper
  • Boring 1

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
10,471 posts
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

I've had more than one match were a DD tried this. Their success rate is probably 50/50 against me... depends what else is happening. I totally obliterated a DD player recently. I even told him it won't be worth it. I sank him without receiving much damage at all on my carrier. I asked in all chat if they now felt it was worth it.

"Totally worth it". 

Can't fix stupid. 

• Cool 1

[WMD]
Members
636 posts
6,514 battles

Based on the amount of attention CV drivers give to DDs on the forums, I'm guessing most of the new CV drivers are old BB mains that never learned how the WASD hax and are still obsessed with DD hatred.

• Cool 1

[SIX]
Beta Testers
77 posts
10,365 battles

Was in a match last night and our CV was a Graf. He got six kills, three of them with secondaries. All three kills? BBs that tried to bum rush him. Ironically, the DD that initially stalked him lived, by hiding in smoke, but was utterly unable to close to effective torp range because the Graf's secondaries were surprisingly (to me) strong. The CV driver said he had a secondary build, and I believe him. 

Yeah, CV sniping is situational, and I agree that the tier makes a big difference. In general, ships should probably do what ever they can to help win the match. Much of the time, for a DD, that will probably not involve spending half the match out of the fight circling around for that golden torp shot on a CV. 

[BURG]
[BURG]
Members
36 posts
1,967 battles
2 hours ago, Zaydin said:

If you lost badly it wasn't because 1 DD ran off after the CV. It would be the same as if he rushed into cap and was sunk, your team is 1 ship down but still can win if ALL  of you play smart. There are way too many "one ship didnt do anything and we lost because of it" threads. Just to be clear I do agree its not the best plan at the beginning of the match but later on depending on points and caps maybe.

• Cool 2

[USCG]
Members
363 posts
14,543 battles

DD chasing a CV from the start of the match is ALMOST as bad as the DD that sits beam-to in the channel between the islands on the map Two Brothers for an ENTIRE MATCH just waiting for that one chance to torp something...anything...  In most cases that one DD tends to get owned by another DD that knows what they're doing...

Members
22,302 posts
5,778 battles
3 hours ago, VeatherVitch said:

Don't care if the enemy DD does it, would just rather not have the friendly one doing it.

Members
22,302 posts
5,778 battles
2 hours ago, Xidax_Gamer said:

I guess the Yugo didn't get the memo.

Memo? It's been carved on a stone tablet since the game went live.

Running off solo and chasing the CV has always been frowned upon.

Nothing about CVs has changed as far as that interaction goes, except that now they're harder for DDs to kill, and more likely to sink the DD chasing them. They've always been towards the back of the map, always been (often) too fast to chase, and they've always known when a DD is coming for them.

• Boring 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,300 posts
3,250 battles
1 hour ago, TANSTAAFL said:

Was in a match last night and our CV was a Graf. He got six kills, three of them with secondaries. All three kills? BBs that tried to bum rush him. Ironically, the DD that initially stalked him lived, by hiding in smoke, but was utterly unable to close to effective torp range because the Graf's secondaries were surprisingly (to me) strong. The CV driver said he had a secondary build, and I believe him. 

Yeah, CV sniping is situational, and I agree that the tier makes a big difference. In general, ships should probably do what ever they can to help win the match. Much of the time, for a DD, that will probably not involve spending half the match out of the fight circling around for that golden torp shot on a CV. 

Yea...trying to snipe a GZ from point blank range is pretty much a no win...   Always get a kick out of it in GZ when a DD comes sneaking in the back door and heading my way..   I always wonder what they think when I start heading towards them instead of away.    Set him up so he can't torp me with a torpedo run of my own and then sit back and giggle, knowing the salt that is fixing to get spewed in All-Chat!  All that work and time for a face plant.     

Members
44 posts
99 battles
4 hours ago, Zaydin said:

Just don't do it. You are taking yourself out of the fight and away from contesting caps and such if you fixate on trying to sneak up and snipe the other teams CV. As it is, the CV will know as soon as you are in visual range and will start hunting you. Ironically, trying to snipe a CV makes you simultaneously an easier target for the CV (Due to being alone with zero support) and a priority target, too.

Good advice. They've made CVs invulnerable to anything but heavy AP fire, so they're always the last ships dead. A DD can get lucky and catch them with torps at higher tier that's a better shot because of more range, but since the CV puts out all fires immediately, and spots everything, and is pretty fast, and actually has good armor compared to almost all DD guns, well... there's just no point.

The patch sounds like it isn't going to do anything to change the invulnerability of the CV class either. Just slow their start a bit so they can dominate the game more a few seconds later than they have been.

Until they add a real counter and a real risk, everyone is just a target for the superman CVs

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[WMD]
Members
636 posts
6,514 battles
12 minutes ago, locked_in_chastity said:

Good advice. They've made CVs invulnerable to anything but heavy AP fire, so they're always the last ships dead. A DD can get lucky and catch them with torps at higher tier that's a better shot because of more range, but since the CV puts out all fires immediately, and spots everything, and is pretty fast, and actually has good armor compared to almost all DD guns, well... there's just no point.

The patch sounds like it isn't going to do anything to change the invulnerability of the CV class either. Just slow their start a bit so they can dominate the game more a few seconds later than they have been.

Until they add a real counter and a real risk, everyone is just a target for the superman CVs

You should be greatful to your CV overlords that you're even worthy to be farmed pesant!

This thread is for people in overperforming ships to gloat about farming damage...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Members
705 posts
7,861 battles

No, you don't set out to bag the cv at the start of the game.

If the opportunity is there, well, "Those that dare win". 

If your going to try and cap the red base, the cv has to go.

No point trying otherwise.