You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Joetaku

Lemming Trains and One Sided Matches

7 comments in this topic

[ICBM]
Members
1 post
1,000 battles

Hi all,

I'm new to WOWS - only 3 weeks and 500 games in.  Something seems to have changed in the last week or so in my limited observation.  Massively one sided matches.  Like the winning team only loses two or three ships and wipes out the other team.  It's been bugging me regardless of which side I'm on - its just not much fun wining or losing that way.

Now this may be the normal state of play and I just have not been around long enough.  Hard to know what I don't know.  However, something occurred to me tonight.  I've heard pack play has increased due to an certain new game mechanic I won't mention (there's enough sticks beating that dead horse).  Could part of the problem be that having nearly the ENTIRE team on a single Cap makes it easy for the opposing team to surround and crossfire them?  When the team is spread out losing a ship or two doesn't effect the DPM on the other side of the map and the other ships can rally and mount a comeback.  When everyone is balled up the loss of a few key ships leads to a numbers battle of attrition.

I understand the need to pack for AA but it appears to be counter productive to every other aspect of winning the match.

Am I just off my rocker?  I'm getting really tired of soloing Caps in my little DD, scrambling like a madman playing a delaying action on ships in my area only to look up and realize I'm one of two or three ships left against a nearly full red team.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

<end noob rambling>

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,112 posts
4,926 battles

Trends can come and go over the course of even a few hours of match-making for a player if they get into the right/wrong matches, and the trend of lemming trains has always existed and will continue to exist until the heat death of the universe.

It could be that you had been in a lot of those games previously but only just reached the threshold where you started to notice them, it could be that that's how MM's default drunken stupor decided you would play for a while, no one can say for sure.

What I can say for sure is that I've always been fond of the rarer, but somewhat more amusing, "Lemming Yin-Yang" where-in both teams lemming train in to opposite sides of the map, then panic and collapse in on each other in some truly bizarre ways (map depending of course) once the pin drops and they figure out what's going on.

[WOLF6]
Members
873 posts
3,387 battles

Sorry to hear you might be enjoying your games.

Even prior to the rework certain teams will simply lemming out of fear of being caught alone and focused. Some ships are more vulnerable than others. The common presence of carriers now probably hasn't helped it!

The DDs do have a large influence in this regard. Cruisers will tend to follow them to a cap with the BBs close behind. If those DDs either close on a single cap or refuse to even approach one then you'll get that confused ball.

[WOLF6]
Members
873 posts
3,387 battles
2 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

What I can say for sure is that I've always been fond of the rarer, but somewhat more amusing, "Lemming Yin-Yang" where-in both teams lemming train in to opposite sides of the map, then panic and collapse in on each other in some truly bizarre ways (map depending of course) once the pin drops and they figure out what's going on.

:Smile_teethhappy: This happens now more than I think any of us would like. Just don't get caught on the wrong side....

[TDRB]
Members
2,497 posts
7,240 battles

Now this may be the normal state of play and I just have not been around long enough.

This is most likely what has happened plus you had a run of good luck. There are many, many threads on this subject, some get so heated they are locked.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,253 posts
10,908 battles

Wild swings are part of the game. Roll with them and always try to do your best.

[CUTER]
Members
3,858 posts
17,877 battles

sKiLl bAsEd mM WiLl NoT fIx sTeAmRoLls