Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WizardFerret

Hakuryu change thoughts

10 comments in this topic

[FLTF2]
Members
122 posts
3,826 battles

Some of the upcoming changes to Hakuryu sound exciting, the changes to aiming will be nice to try out. But making them even MORE vulnerable to AA then they are right now, which is too much, they have no flak damage reduction like all other torpedo bombers in the game do. They could just be super fragile planes that will die easily for trying to go any further than throwing torps from far away and just hoping to hit something. It would be better to give them the flak damage reduction, as well as improving the aiming, but keeping the long arming distance.

Any thoughts on what could be done to the Hakuryu torpedo bombers? We will have to see what happens on the public test.

• Cool 1

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,761 posts
3,937 battles

Their metrics probably saw use of the 4 torp option practically drop to zero, and so now they're bringing back a nerfed version of "Flying Shimakaze" in an effort to see use of the alternate option go back up.

If anything, I think they're trying for more of an area-denial setup; just rapidly drop the torps to temporarily lock up an area, instead of attempting to focus the shots. But unlike before, the planes can be KO'd more easily during said rapid drops. Beyond that, probably increase the odds of a surprise burst-strike on a lone BB or cruiser, but with the caveat of more likely losing a bomber during each run (so rather than dropping 4, dropping 3 or 2 but allowing setup for a psudo-cross drop).

Beta Testers
1,571 posts
7,923 battles

Keep in mind they're only changing the mod 8 TBs, aka the 4 drop  "flying shimakazes".  The more commonly used TBs were not mentioned to be changed.

Since the torps have extreme range I'm not too sure they'll suffer much from heavy flak.  Most long range AA don't hurt unless you eat a bubble, and with the vastly reduced preparation and recharge times you might not have to spend much time in the medium aura at all.  What I'm more worried about is whether they'll be viable.  Given their much lower effective HP and vulnerability, it seems like the goal is to have the player to set up two drops from outside medium flak range, then use the final group to force/limit enemy movement.  In theory it could be quite fun, and even rather consistent as long as the enemy doesn't have full freedom of movement.  But if the enemy team is actively moving and can maneuver freely you could potentially be left with only rockets as your source of consistent damage.

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles

[EDITED]
Found the answer already, ty

[WOLFB]
Members
2,540 posts
10,365 battles

All I see is an unecessary Hakuryu nerf.

Reducing the speed of planes would not bother me if Hakuryu didn't had the weakest planes among all T10 CV. It's almost as if WG is trying to force us to use the 8km one by slightly buffing them and nerfing planes survivability overall. 

Anyway if I'll stick to my current setup unless WG offer a free respec so I could get rid of TA and try the 8km one.

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles
1 hour ago, Gavroche_ said:

Link to the changes?

It's in the developer's corner here in the forum

[BNZAI]
Members
384 posts
4,507 battles

I don't think the changes will make the 4 drop planes viable. Making the most squishy planes even more squishy won't really help things. You are basically flying kamikaze planes at that point, any you send to strike won't be returning.

[FLTF2]
Members
122 posts
3,826 battles
21 hours ago, Kenjister said:

Keep in mind they're only changing the mod 8 TBs, aka the 4 drop  "flying shimakazes".  The more commonly used TBs were not mentioned to be changed.

Since the torps have extreme range I'm not too sure they'll suffer much from heavy flak.  Most long range AA don't hurt unless you eat a bubble, and with the vastly reduced preparation and recharge times you might not have to spend much time in the medium aura at all.  What I'm more worried about is whether they'll be viable.  Given their much lower effective HP and vulnerability, it seems like the goal is to have the player to set up two drops from outside medium flak range, then use the final group to force/limit enemy movement.  In theory it could be quite fun, and even rather consistent as long as the enemy doesn't have full freedom of movement.  But if the enemy team is actively moving and can maneuver freely you could potentially be left with only rockets as your source of consistent damage.

Long range torping is not an effective strategy with aircraft. You are not very likely to hit anything, and if you do, it's only one or two torps. If they want a specified long range torpedo bomber, they should make it drop a lot more (6 or 8) torpedoes at a time in a horizontal line so that you can at least be sending a wider area and have a higher chance of hitting many of them. In fact, making it drop 8 torpedoes instead in 16 plane squadrons might work.

Sign in to follow this