You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JdeMolay

Ships that WG got right..from the start

60 comments in this topic

[KSE]
Beta Testers
322 posts
12,367 battles

With all the critical banter about OP ships; the buff this; nerf that talk; I thought I would inquire as to what ships WG got right. You know the solid ships that if played according to their strengths were rewarding and have stood the test of time.

I will start off with two of my nominees;

1) The Montana: Still a solid performer, no gimmicks, just an all round solid performer.

2) Des Moines: Same as above, deadly when played correctly and it punishes bad play. 

Name others (your nominees) of which ones you thought WG got right.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[FML]
Members
2,458 posts
11,856 battles

Pretty sure the Montana got a major buff when her citadel was lowered by one deck. 

• Cool 4

[-BRS-]
Members
2,492 posts
15,720 battles

Henri,  Jutland 

Edited by silverdahc

[HYDRO]
Members
2,801 posts
4,579 battles

Scharnhorst; minimal changes, relevant from the day she was introduced till today.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,458 posts
11,856 battles

But to answer your question, I think they got most T6 ships right first time - it is an extremely balanced tier even now.

Members
1,797 posts
9,372 battles

Only been playing since 2017, so I cant say anything on the initial state of ships at the games release.

But ships Ive seen introduced while playing.

FN BB line is pretty balanced and the De Grasse. 

Members
2,396 posts
8,988 battles
1 minute ago, UltimateNewbie said:

But to answer your question, I think they got most T6 ships right first time - it is an extremely balanced tier even now.

Oh yes, T6 feels great bottom tier with healthy population of premium T8 CVs that are more popular than ever, especially when T5 and T7 ships never get to see CVs two tier above them...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-AGW-]
Members
766 posts
10,894 battles

Kongo.

Of course I have no idea if it's historically accurate, but it still plays well.

[SNIPR]
Beta Testers
466 posts
4,343 battles

both the USN and IJN T4 sets of ships (carriers aside) And besides the Myogi because I hate it.

The Kuma is still a great boat.  Isokaze is a nice taste of a proper torpedo boat with a short reload on its torpedo racks.  Clemson is an excellent gunboat, Wyoming has gotten nerfed over time but I believe it is still solid enough.

Honestly T4 sticks out.  Especially the older ships simply because they would have to deal with T6 ships.  None of the armament has really felt lacking ever since all you can see now from T4 is T3s and T5s

Members
3,917 posts
8,402 battles

Atago, Asashio, Molotov, Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, Belfast, Hood, Warspite, Nelson, Dunkerque, Giulio Cesare.

I select these because they are unique premiums, not just a regular tree doppelganger with some added twist to make it different, but truly unique and historical. Not all premiums manage that but these do.

[STP]
Beta Testers
3,196 posts
12,309 battles

Both montana and Des memes get a lot buffs...

I dont think they "got right" any ship. Ever ship get nerfed or buffed after new lines put on game.

Maybe Black... i mean, they still not touch on that ship.

[SEAKT]
Members
35 posts
10,737 battles

Alsace, until they didn't get it right ( courtesy a undeserved nerf bat.)

• Cool 2

[FML]
Members
2,458 posts
11,856 battles
1 hour ago, Ramsalot said:

Oh yes, T6 feels great bottom tier with healthy population of premium T8 CVs that are more popular than ever, especially when T5 and T7 ships never get to see CVs two tier above them...

Sure, but that isn’t the point. Ships within T6 are quite well balanced against each other. Just because they don’t do well against carriers 2 tiers higher doesn’t negate that balance. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
109 posts
4,282 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Pretty sure the Montana got a major buff when her citadel was lowered by one deck. 

^^^^^This - Montana and Iowa both are different ships to play against now

[RED2]
Members
1,154 posts
8,240 battles
52 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

Atago, Asashio, Molotov, Graf Spee, Scharnhorst, Belfast, Hood, Warspite, Nelson, Dunkerque, Giulio Cesare.

I select these because they are unique premiums, not just a regular tree doppelganger with some added twist to make it different, but truly unique and historical. Not all premiums manage that but these do.

Belfast, and Giulio Cesare both got put on the naugh list.

Hood has been buffed significantly since she was introduced but I was a fan of her originally.

[D-H-O]
[D-H-O]
Beta Testers
109 posts
4,282 battles

I am pretty sure the Nelson has stayed exactly as release  and is a blast to play. It has glaring weaknesses but the up sides are hilarious. I would have said the same about Hood but the recent fuse changes changed it from a legit battle-cruiser to a lackluster battleship... a fast battleship... but I preferred the cruiser hunting capability - now too many overpens. Scharnhorst is another that has "shone through the ages"

[BNKR]
Members
1,172 posts
1,103 battles

I guess we will see how time in the game affects her, but Massachusetts was done right from the start, I believe. 

• Cool 2

[SPCU]
Members
782 posts
5,006 battles
1 hour ago, UltimateNewbie said:

T7 as well. Possible exceptions for pepsi.

Members
710 posts

Montana got a huge cit reduction, and DM got a ton of diff buffs from the start so your two listed examples dont work.   Just about every ship has gotten buffed or changed one way or another by this point even Yamato.  Bama and Mass both work well from the get go.  Id love to say tirptiz but she got buffed, Sharn was a steady one though.

Edited by JToney3449

[ODIN]
Members
1,315 posts
3,206 battles

Did Perth or Graf Spee ever receive any major adjustments? If not, then Perth and Graf Spee. Both highly enjoyable cruisers.

[ALL41]
Members
239 posts
6,323 battles

I'm really liking the Wichita and Monpelier...Tier-8 botes that if played right can survive in a Tier-10 matchup.   

• Cool 2

Members
3,917 posts
8,402 battles
47 minutes ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

Belfast, and Giulio Cesare both got put on the naugh list.

I'd like to see a complete list of all the 'naughties.'

Imperator Nikolai,  Gremyashchy and Kutuzov come to mind.

[LHG]
Members
1,484 posts
5,953 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

Kamikaze (all versions)

Gremy

Nikolai

GC

Belfast

Kutuzov

Missouri

Musashi(?)

Kronstadt(?)

[RED2]
Members
1,154 posts
8,240 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

Imperator Nikolai I, Gremyashchy, Kamikaze, Giulio Cesare, Belfast, Mikhail Kutuzov, Kronshdadt, Missouri, and Musashi.

of note on the last three, the tier IX premiums seem to be limited edition so its up to you to decide which of those is truly OP.

Konig Albert and Perth used to be on the list but have been rehabilitated apparently.