You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
G_Potter

Revise Torpedo spreads

21 comments in this topic

[SUNKN]
Members
28 posts
12,105 battles

I can’t remember the last time I used the ‘wide’ spread option for torpedos. There are circumstances where it is useful, but those are so rare that it really isn’t a useful mechanic as is. 

What do do you guys think about reducing the ‘wide’ spread to 20% wider than the current ‘narrow’ spread, and reducing the current ‘narrow’ spread by 20%. Obviously no change to single fire torps. 

[HINON]
Supertester
20,475 posts
13,910 battles

Spreads are fine. Wide spreads are useful for point blank torping.

• Cool 1

[KNTI2]
Members
884 posts
5,838 battles

They intentionally made torp spreads for both options wider; 20% wider, ironically.

They're not going to put it back, given the circumstances. I don't like it either but hey, if they wanna make me use F3s to get reliable hits, so be it.

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,067 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Spreads are fine. Wide spreads are useful for point blank torping.

Are they though?

[HINON]
Supertester
20,475 posts
13,910 battles
1 minute ago, Gavroche_ said:

Are they though?

IMO yes.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,633 posts
2 minutes ago, Gavroche_ said:

Are they though?

Only one flood per half of ship.  Piling all of them into the same half can only result in one flood.

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
448 posts
8,961 battles

Flooding really doesn't matter anymore though since its just like a fire.  Because of the nerfed damage from flooding, I would be willing to bet my salary that Liquidator accomplishments are extremely rare now.  I'm going back and doing all the campaign tasks to finish out ALL the tasks in the campaigns (Science of Victory, etc) because I'm that kind of person.   I'm eyeballing the Liquidator tasks as being virtually impossible now, unfortunately. 

Comp  #WV44

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,633 posts
2 minutes ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

Flooding really doesn't matter anymore though since its just like a fire.  Because of the nerfed damage from flooding, I would be willing to bet my salary that Liquidator accomplishments are extremely rare now.  I'm going back and doing all the campaign tasks to finish out ALL the tasks in the campaigns (Science of Victory, etc) because I'm that kind of person.   I'm eyeballing the Liquidator tasks as being virtually impossible now, unfortunately. 

Comp  #WV44

That isn't a good reason to have less tools to get them with.

[-BRS-]
Members
448 posts
8,961 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

That doesn't mean that we should have less tools to get them with.

I agree but I think the torp spreads are fine as they currently are so I don't see any "lessening of the tools" occurring.  Said differently, I don't think the issue is with the spreads, I think the issue is with the flooding mechanic.  I'm just not getting bent out of shape about the flooding mechanic change since it doesn't change gameplay in a fundamentally negative way as other things *cough CVs cough* do.  As much as I have been frustrated by the gap that inevitably appears in a narrow spread, which happens to be exactly large enough for the target to successfully maneuver through, I wouldn't want that to change as I have exploited that gap many times myself!  :Smile_playing:

I was just lamenting the fact that Liquidators are virtually impossible now.

Comp  #WV44

[WGA]
Administrator
1,280 posts
626 battles

Hey Captains,

Good point made by Lert and I would like to expound on that a little bit. Each section of the ship has a "saturation" limit, this is why you will see the occasional DD take a bunch of torpedoes on the nose and not die (rare but it happens). Granted I have not used the widespread torpedoes up close because I rely on making sure I predict the movement right but I can see a point for trying it. 

The key to getting good hits with torpedoes is learning to predict where ships will be and not always following the indicator. 

• Cool 1

[-BRS-]
Members
2,491 posts
15,718 battles

I would be for getting rid of widespread to give me the option of single launch torpedoes

Lol such a fun option to put in the nose of a bow camping battleship

Edited by silverdahc

[DAS]
Members
447 posts
5,068 battles

I think the OP has a point. With all the things that can spot a DD these days, you rarely lunch torps at targets that are close than 10 km and even a "narrow" spread isn't that narrow when it gets out to about 10 km. You rarely hit with more than 1-2 torps at that range, but maybe that is the intention.

[GOB]
Members
298 posts
4 hours ago, silverdahc said:

I would be for getting rid of widespread to give me the option of single launch torpedoes

Lol such a fun option to put in the nose of a bow camping battleship

What the heck is a " Bow Camping BB"??   DO you mean a BB Capt that won't roll over and give you a huge Broadside shot so you can laugh at him and call him noob?   People sure use " Camping " a lot for a game with boats.  I torp head on BBs all the time in my DD.  I drive BB's almost as often.  BB captains aren't stupid.  Calling them BOW Campers isn't going to trick them into giving you an easy target.   

[-BRS-]
Members
2,491 posts
15,718 battles
35 minutes ago, Col_Nasty said:

What the heck is a " Bow Camping BB"??   DO you mean a BB Capt that won't roll over and give you a huge Broadside shot so you can laugh at him and call him noob?   People sure use " Camping " a lot for a game with boats.  I torp head on BBs all the time in my DD.  I drive BB's almost as often.  BB captains aren't stupid.  Calling them BOW Campers isn't going to trick them into giving you an easy target.   

Look if your bow on and your not moving or "camping"  And you let me launch 8 torpedoes right into your nose 1 by 1  in my Jutland good times,   And it would be nice to have that option in all the destroyers

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
351 posts
4,248 battles

Wide spreads are seldom useful. I can count the number of time I've used them this year on one hand, and usually it was because I was too lazy to stagger my tubes in the shima so I just overlapped the wides. 

I quite honestly I don't see why we can't just adjust it between three or four settings to give it some nice tactical choice. I'm not asking for single fire shima, i'm just asking to land more than 10% of torps on a stationary target at 10km. Anybody using guns would delete it in short order, but it's usually not even worth firing torps until you push up a few more kilometers on the flank of said afk ship.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles

I could use a small reduction on the Wide option, though, especially on Single-Launcher ships like Aoba and Akizuki. What's the point of launching one spread with gaps that can fit broadside Yamatos?

Members
70 posts
8,292 battles
1 hour ago, WuYixiang said:

When firing a narrow set I'm sure all of is have experienced 1 or 2 torps in that spread leaving an abnormal gap that can be easily exploited and the torps successfully dodged by even large ships at close ranges. I understand this has to do with camo and dispersion mechanics.

But, real story, I fired one Gearing rack at a Yammy traveling parallel to me from 12km. He did not deviate in speed or direction significantly. 2 torps passed in front 3 torps passed behind leaving a gap in the spread that was GREATER THAN THE LENGTH OF THE YAMMY. This, while not usually so extreme, is a bit of an annoyance. Just bad RNG or something that should be looked into?

Edited by Ivan_Namirettov
Wrong quote

Beta Testers
13 posts

Can't remember the last time I used wide spread torps.  Really been years.

16 hours ago, Kami said:

Hey Captains,

Good point made by Lert and I would like to expound on that a little bit. Each section of the ship has a "saturation" limit, this is why you will see the occasional DD take a bunch of torpedoes on the nose and not die (rare but it happens). Granted I have not used the widespread torpedoes up close because I rely on making sure I predict the movement right but I can see a point for trying it. 

The key to getting good hits with torpedoes is learning to predict where ships will be and not always following the indicator. 

For that area to become saturated I would need to be on the edge of arming distance and a 90 degree angle.  Same situation only shoot torps at 80 degree angle and I don't have a problem with saturation.  Both example are moot points though as you can just fire torps from non suicidal ranges and also eliminate saturation.

Single torps would increase the risk of saturation hits.  I'd take single torps over wide spread every time though due to the utility they bring.

Members
364 posts

It would be interesting if there were three spread options for ships with very long range torps, single, narrow and wide. 

Be I don't see it happening or even need to happen in the greater scheme of things. 

It would add programming complexity, that WG has in abundance and would not want more.

And the two reasons for single firing long range shots and conserving torpedoes on targets that don't need a full spread, since we do not have historical limits on the number of torpedoes the latter is moot. 

Now as for long range, the idea of a stream of single torpedoes at 15 to 20 km might be interesting to test but I am not sure the results would be worth the trouble to implement. But the ability to customize your spread might be useful. 

A mission for a tester with a single launch ship? Inquiring minds (or those nasty dd spawn of the devil) might like to know.

[ICOP]
Members
1,067 posts
3,860 battles

One of the issues with torpedoes, specifically IJN, is their seen from orbit.

Edited by Junostorm

[ARGSY]
Members
10,135 posts
6,627 battles

While we are on the topic of wide spread torps, could WG please consider narrowing the spread on the Vampire so that she has single and narrow like her British sister-ship?