Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Mission Critical Monday - Battleships

17 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,259 posts
7,140 battles

593px-USS_Washington_%28BB-56%29_in_Puge

*USS Washington (BB-56) undergoing post-overhaul sea trials in Puget Sound on September 10, 1945*

What role/mission do you have your battleship play during battle?

Well known for being heavily armored with hard hitting main batteries, battleships can hit hard and can draw heavy fire as well.

However some battleships are capable of performing other tasks such as air defense, brawling at close range, or detecting threats such as torpedoes or hidden warships.

Skippers, when your battlewagon gets underway, what role do you assign them to help the Fleet to victory?

"This ship is built to fight. You'd better know how." - Arleigh Burke, U.S. Navy

#missioncriticalmonday

#anchorsaweigh

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
7,771 posts
11,127 battles

I love using them to push a flank particularly thru a cap.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles

First thing i do, be the overwatch for the guys pressing the cap and look for broadside targets

Second thing, press that cap if current conditions are favorable

third, push the flank if given the opportunity

IF conditions are not favorable, draw fire for cruiser(s) and DD(s) escaping and start kiting the enemy while firing

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,797 posts
10,295 battles

Go to one flank and watch the other one inevitably collapse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles

Push a cap.

Lead the charge through the cap to turn the flank.

Draw fire away from any supporting cruisers/DDs.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,013 posts
14,165 battles

I use it to play midrange and then push hard into closer ranges and on flanks when the opportunity arises. Not too soon so that I get melted by enemy fire, and not too late that I can't impact the outcome of the battle.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,099 posts

I use it to attract enemy cruiser HE and DD torpedos. Then when the games spotting mechanics, numerous mountain ranges and smoke clouds allow me to actually have a target I try to shoot my main guns So they over penetrate cruisers and destroyers. Works like a charm!

But seriously,  it depends on the battleship and the team dynamics. I generally prefer playing to their strengths which in my mind is flanking in the French, mid range fire support in the brits, pushing caps and brawling in the Germans, flexing in the US and longer range fire support in the Japanese.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,764 posts

Whatever I like really, as long as I support my screen. I last longer in a BB than any other ship type I play, do more damage and get the best rewards. Fact. :Smile_Default:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1

Members
3,206 posts
3,521 battles

I tend to play the distraction. More often than not it gets me killed though because I never time when to stop taking fire and go dark. 

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,259 posts
7,140 battles
1 hour ago, pikohan said:

Go to one flank and watch the other one inevitably collapse ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Typically that happens when the OPFOR overloads when you are running a balanced attack. Then it turns into a race to cap especially in Standard Battle mode.

It can also be an opportunity for the DD(s) on your flank to lay down an ambush as the collapsed flank will often have a staggered column of ships that are damaged and have likely popped DCP making them vulnerable to fire and floods.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
2,498 posts
2,295 battles
1 minute ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Typically that happens when the OPFOR overloads when you are running a balanced attack. Then it turns into a race to cap especially in Standard Battle mode.

It can also be an opportunity for the DD(s) on your flank to lay down an ambush as the collapsed flank will often have a staggered column of ships that are damaged and have likely popped DCP making them vulnerable to fire and floods.

loved doing that in my Furutaka for the memes

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,739 posts
8,984 battles

I play mostly USN. So I try to play to their strengths. As mentioned already, I try to play overwatch at the very first. Giving cover around caps. Of course if you see a broadside BB, or cruiser that outkicked it's coverage at a island trying to reverse back into hiding. I'll tag em. If the opportunity presents itself I'll push the cap or flank. Try to get the red team to surrender the area. 

• Cool 1

[WGA]
1,259 posts
7,140 battles
19 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

I play mostly USN. So I try to play to their strengths. As mentioned already, I try to play overwatch at the very first. Giving cover around caps. Of course if you see a broadside BB, or cruiser that outkicked it's coverage at a island trying to reverse back into hiding. I'll tag em. If the opportunity presents itself I'll push the cap or flank. Try to get the red team to surrender the area. 

USN BBs are great for supporting offensive efforts but it takes cooperation between your DD and at least 1 cruiser to provide DPM. 

Once you get to the North Carolina, Alabama, or Massachusetts, your survivability and armor protection increases exponentially so you can start tanking more effectively to push a flank or retake a cap.

[S_C_N]
Beta Testers
237 posts
1,334 battles

Brawling and driving a wedge is good, fighting off a hornets nest of planes, not so much.

• Boring 1

[OO7]
Members
4,298 posts
10,967 battles

I use my battleships to attract all the AP bombers in the game and die to them to hopefully save the rest of my team from them. 

• Funny 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,739 posts
8,984 battles
Just now, Gneisenau013 said:

USN BBs are great for supporting offensive efforts but it takes cooperation between your DD and at least 1 cruiser to provide DPM. 

Once you get to the North Carolina, Alabama, or Massachusetts, your survivability and armor protection increases exponentially so you can start tanking more effectively to push a flank or retake a cap.

Oh yes, absolutely correct. I can't do it alone. If going solo that's a one way ticket to the bottom. BB's need the support of DD's and cruisers just like they need BB support. 

I play DD's a lot. If I see a BB pushing solo into a cap, I immediately start  looking for a good angle to deliver a alpha strike they are most likely not going to avoid.

• Cool 1

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
3 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Skippers, when your battlewagon gets underway, what role do you assign them to help the Fleet to victory?

I've been playing CAs a long time and only recently repurchased KG5 and Nagamon. I typically push a flank as hard as I can manage in the attempt to both achieve a tactical victory on my side of the map and set up a crossfire against enemy ships.

unknown-1.thumb.png.a99c023715cd7d0a2b5ec7a5ba8037e2.png

I actively switch between HE and AP shells depending on my target - angled BBs and DDs receive HE, and broadside BBs, CLs, CAs, and CVs all get AP. I'm also not afraid of getting up close and personal. If I gotta cap, I gotta cap, right?

Edited by WuYixiang
  • Cool 1

Sign in to follow this