You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

Which CV line should I start?

30 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
342 posts
2,955 battles

So I have not played a CV since the rework. I have been playing BBs and DDs.  I noticed they removed the carriers I had and I have to start from scratch.  I did find my two CV captains in my reserve, one American and one Japanese.  So the question is do you CV players have a line preference?  Are the two groups still diverse as they were originally or has the new build made them balanced.  I had both as I enjoyed the diversity of the two play styles.  Please advise and educate :)

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles

Depends.  There's different specializations to the 3 CV Lines and even then there's some weird stuff between them.

IJN CVs

AP Bombers which require more skill to use as it's not simple like HE DBs.  This aspect of IJN CVs some have problems making work.  But if you get the hang of it, you can get AP Citadels with them which are meaningful as Repair Party heals very little Citadel Damage back.

TBs - Excellent.  Fast, powerful torps compared to USN.  This is likely what's going to make up the bulk of your damage.

Pretty meh Rocket / Attack planes.  Enough to get the job done, nothing spectacular.

USN CVs

HE Dive Bombers, simpler to use than AP ones.  Just get hits somehow.

TBs - Laughable.  Very slow to aim and the torps themselves are VERY SLOW, on top of low damage values.

Excellent Rocket / Attack planes.  Later access to HVAR (high rocket count, easy to hit, poor fire chance, low damage) and Tiny Tim Rockets (very low rocket count, high 68mm pen, high damage, high fire chance).

RN CVs

TBs - Great TBs meant for close drops.  Not as high in damage as IJN CVs but they're easier and more effective than the trash USN TBs.

Level HE Bombers - Long delay after dropping, you need to lead appropriately  Low Pen, low amount of bombs until Tier X Audacious.  IMO these are trashy until Tier X.

Pretty meh Rocket / Attack planes.

IMO, RN CVs are very meh until you get to Audacious... In Tier X.  The issue they have is although the TBs are awesome, the Level HE Bombers don't pack enough power.  They don't drop enough.  Again, only in Tier X is where all the characteristics of the RN CV actually come together and are decent.

Which to go down?  It really depends as the different lines cater to something.  Some of the guys leverage the hell out of those USN HE Dive Bombers.  But the TBs can rack up good damage in other lines and they are not affected by RNG like Dive Bombers are.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,645 posts

Pick the play style you like, not the one that is currently the most popular or the "best".  The one that is the "best" currently changes about every other patch and will continue to do so.

[NH]
Members
630 posts

USN, because the midway is amazing. I feel like if you grind the others you will get to T10 and feel like all the work was a disappointment.  

[NG-NL]
Members
5,720 posts
9,439 battles

US get the best DB, IJN have the nastiest TB, and RN are very versatile w/ the toughest planes at any tier.

However, take w/ a grain of salt as TB damage takes practice to do effectively.

T4 is fine for mastering rocket planes, but T6 is where you really learn the class--or so I've gathered from other threads. IJN is probably the hardest to master since their AP DB take practice and some RNG to be effective.

[ODIN]
Members
1,322 posts
3,206 battles

USN is definitely the most flexible and reliable. Lexington is really one of my favorite ships in the game. That said, Audacious is my favourite T10 carrier. It has consistency and flexibility issues with its level bombers, but that torpedo squadron is just a joy to use.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
31 minutes ago, General_Strom said:

So I have not played a CV since the rework. I have been playing BBs and DDs.  I noticed they removed the carriers I had and I have to start from scratch.  I did find my two CV captains in my reserve, one American and one Japanese.  So the question is do you CV players have a line preference?  Are the two groups still diverse as they were originally or has the new build made them balanced.  I had both as I enjoyed the diversity of the two play styles.  Please advise and educate :)

Is this a trick question?

None of the above!

Nobody could tell you, even if they liked any CV - rebork is ongoing

Edited by Commander_367

[WOLF3]
Members
19,351 posts
17,682 battles
Just now, Frenotx said:

USN is definitely the most flexible and reliable. Lexington is really one of my favorite ships in the game. That said, Audacious is my favourite T10 carrier. It has consistency and flexibility issues with its level bombers, but that torpedo squadron is just a joy to use.

My personal problem with Audacious is that she is the first of the RN CVs where all their characteristics finally come together in an acceptable manner.

RN CV TBs were always pretty darn good, Audacious gets better.

The Level HE Bomber were trash, not enough ordnance dropped, few hits, few fires.  Even Tier VIII Implacable's Level Bombers suck bad and I hated using them.  But Audacious fixes that with planes that drop a large amount of bombs to get more hits and as a consequence, more fires.

You finally get all the cool things that the RN CVs are about... Only in Tier X.  Outside her, you'll be relying far too much on the TBs.  It's a good thing Implacable has great TBs, otherwise she'd be 100% useless.

[TORP]
Members
119 posts
1,722 battles

This is a topic I love. Thanks for asking! 

So each line of the now 3 is different and can be played very differently from each other. However I find that most limes can be played pretty much the same to good results. 

Now to which you should play. From your post I see that you haven't played the new carriers much. In my opinion having played all lines( stats will not reflect this), the Americans would be a good first pick to get used to the new play style. The attack planes are powerful and easy to use because of their reticle. The dive bombers are very easy to use and get great damage so are a good way to get used to aiming. The torpedo bombers are relatively weak in terms of damage but I find it easy to put them on target. 

I was going to go into every line but Haze posted that. So IMO, if you are learning, Americans. But do feel free to branch out.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,645 posts
31 minutes ago, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

USN, because the midway is amazing. I feel like if you grind the others you will get to T10 and feel like all the work was a disappointment.  

Per the dev blog the Midway is about to get a nerf to it's dive bombers.

As I said, pick the playstyle you like, not the ship that is doing the best right now.  That is going to keep changing.

For all we know, 2 weeks from now the Hak might be the new hotness again.

[ODIN]
Members
1,322 posts
3,206 battles
43 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

My personal problem with Audacious is that she is the first of the RN CVs where all their characteristics finally come together in an acceptable manner.

RN CV TBs were always pretty darn good, Audacious gets better.

The Level HE Bomber were trash, not enough ordnance dropped, few hits, few fires.  Even Tier VIII Implacable's Level Bombers suck bad and I hated using them.  But Audacious fixes that with planes that drop a large amount of bombs to get more hits and as a consequence, more fires.

You finally get all the cool things that the RN CVs are about... Only in Tier X.  Outside her, you'll be relying far too much on the TBs.  It's a good thing Implacable has great TBs, otherwise she'd be 100% useless.

I agree fully. The grind to Audacious is a grind indeed, for the reasons you laid out. With how trivial it is for a surface ship to spoil a level bombing run (hint- just turn a little) and how slowly the bombs fall, I feel like they should reliably wreck shop and land a large number of hits on a well-aligned drop. They don't, though. Audacious' sheer volume of bombs helps smooth things out to some degree, but even with her the reticle is still just so ridiculously huge that it's very much a crap shoot. I'm of the form opinion that the level bomber reticle for ALL tiers, more so with T8 and lower, should be moderately shorter and waaaaay narrower. With how tough good drops are to land against when moderate evasion, they need to be devastating when lined up right.

Considering the level bombers still use the same "diving plane" audio for their attack run these the other DBs use though, I suspect (hope) they're still a bit of a work in progress.

[-BUI-]
Members
947 posts
2,925 battles

In 0.8.4 the entire USA line is now worthless and pointless to play, so avoid the USN line if you want a good time.     You have zero effective tools against DDs.   You have super easy to dodge rockets, terrible torpedoes and now your HE bombs will never hit a DD, making them Fire starters on BBs only.

British line is probably the best, and as far as Premiums go, Enterprise is great (doesn't suffer the USN lines problems plus has its own benefits), GZ is betting a buff and should be pretty good soon.

[NH]
Members
630 posts
32 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

As I said, pick the playstyle you like, not the ship that is doing the best right now.  That is going to keep changing.

Sad times. They wont be happy until nobody plays CVs. T10 AA is way to strong as is and now this. 

RIP: Midway 2015-2019

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,645 posts
Just now, Your_Ship_Is_On_Fire said:

Sad times. They wont be happy until nobody plays CVs. T10 AA is way to strong as is and now this. 

RIP: Midway 2015-2019

I like playing the Midway. The bombs on the midway need the nerf.

[WOLFC]
Members
900 posts
5,995 battles
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

I like playing the Midway. The bombs on the midway need the nerf.

Yeah, I don't know how anybody can say the Midway torps and rockets are useless.  The bombing nerf applies to all lines.

To the OP

Regardless of line choice, Tier IV is going to be a drag that you will likely FxP through after a bit.   All 3 lines have their kinks.  The real prize is Tier VIII & Tier X.  A lot of people like the Tier VIII ships on their own & then the Tier X is just like driving a really good well made car.

Beta Testers
342 posts
2,955 battles
4 hours ago, Burnsy said:

Yeah that is my main beef with WGing games. The constant "Balancing" of the game.  I really feel after years of playing WoT they "balance" the game to make money and not really to balance the play.  To many times changes were made that crew skills needed to be changed that cost the player $$, changing the top ship/tank often so you grind and spend money doing so to be able to play the next best tank. ETC. I saw that as a pattern.  They claim it is to keep the game fresh, but I am suspicious.  Think about it, how long have them been balancing WoT and they are still at it?  You would think they would get it close by now and currently the game is a mess.  Why I stopped playing.

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,645 posts
5 minutes ago, General_Strom said:

Yeah that is my main beef with WGing games. The constant "Balancing" of the game.  I really feel after years of playing WoT they "balance" the game to make money and not really to balance the play.  To many times changes were made that crew skills needed to be changed that cost the player $$, changing the top ship/tank often so you grind and spend money doing so to be able to play the next best tank. ETC. I saw that as a pattern.  They claim it is to keep the game fresh, but I am suspicious.  Think about it, how long have them been balancing WoT and they are still at it?  You would think they would get it close by now and currently the game is a mess.  Why I stopped playing.

It will never end.  As they add new features and new ships, everything else has to sometimes be rebalanced in light of those changes. Changes and balancing will be an ongoing process for the life of the game.

[ODIN]
Members
1,322 posts
3,206 battles
4 minutes ago, General_Strom said:

Most online PvP games do this. It really is needed to keep the game fresh. Metas and strategies evolve over time, and thus so does the "ideal balancing" of the game. There are exceptions to this of course, but generally speaking online PvP games will remain somewhat fluid until they die.

[SOUS]
[SOUS]
Members
267 posts
8,683 battles

None. I would wait until CVs are in their final form, if that ever happens. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,645 posts
2 minutes ago, Misfit87 said:

None. I would wait until CVs are in their final form, if that ever happens. 

They will eventually settle in some, it will be some time though.  I wouldn't let that stop from from picking one and going down the line.

[LHG]
Members
1,494 posts
5,995 battles
1 hour ago, General_Strom said:

Online multiplayer games that receive little to no updates, regardless of how "finished" they are in their current states, are called dead or dying by their communities. Just look at TF2, a game that is undeniably more polished and balanced than this one, but its community considers it nearly abandoned by Valve due to long bouts of radio silence and massive breaks between content-rich updates. It's so bad that the only remaining staff working on the game are assumed to be a janitor, a baby, and a potted plant.

[PRNA]
Members
280 posts
3,625 battles

Royal Navy CVs?

Midway and Lexington are under the eye right now, and IJN CVs got the bat not too long ago. With the Audacious they have less of a reason to nerf it into obscurity, and its base mechanics synergize well. Its not like the USN or IJN as far as I can tell, which crutch on 1-2 types of planes to do damage. Additionally its more new. WG wants people grinding down lines, spending money to get there. In my experience its the old stuff that is most likely to get the nerf bat and stay there.