You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ALROCHA

Update of an old topic of mine + a plea for WG

11 comments in this topic

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles

So, on friday I finally managed to get a 14 pts captain, which means I could finally get the secondary build to "fully work" with the maximum range and minimum dispersion...but then...this was the result:

image.png.466121b32ff326379315152d9fd0d573.png

Even though I was able to do a lot of damage with main battery, it was due to the fact that players were broadsiding me often and so I was able to citadel A LOT even while using 380mm guns, I even managed to citadel the Tirpitz and the dreaded USN Bismarck (Massachusetts).

But for a secondary build, the secondary damage was horrible, it was a pain to grind for the 14 pts captain, specially with the need to respec every tier up, and after this result I asked for help in the forum.

And one of the suggestions was to go for IFHE, well, I was dead set for the IFHE for my future 18pt captain but I thought the 20% increase in range was better, specially because WG says that the skill is innefective for my ship.

Well...today I was proved that WG is at mistake here...

image.thumb.png.7b4b2adb688ac5fdc2e75fa0b7306801.png

Before IFHE I did 62 damage per secondary shell.

After removing the increase in range and putting IFHE, I started doing 246 damage per secondary shell.

THAT'S ALMOST 400% INCREASE IN DAMAGE PER SHELL

How can WG put IFHE as a not recommended for KM BBs? This is the biggest bait ever for people trying out secondary builds, IFHE is the best option for german BBs and this should actually be highlighted for players, instead of adding a warning saying that it's inneficient.

So, I ask for WG to change this, maybe put additional info stating that this skill works for secondary weaponry of if it's actually recommended for secondary build on certain ship.

My captain at the momment:

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.9247424eeb1d088fb73771491d3f84cc.png

• Cool 1

[CK5]
Members
990 posts
8,671 battles

It is a generic recommendation for all BBs not to get IFHE.  Obviously, the case is different for KM BBs and players are free to choose any skills that they wish.  I spec my KM BB captains with IFHE and it works great as you also noted. 

The recommendation (or lack of recommendation), is more for main batteries, but of course, in some cases it works for secondaries.  

Edited by PrairiePlayer

[-K-]
Members
6,130 posts
10,294 battles

German battleships can be built a bit differently when going full secondaries, due to those HE shells having the 1/4 pen standard (essentially IFHE without taking the skill).  IFHE will still help you against better armored targets, but it isn't as effective as it would be on ships like Alsace and Massachusetts, who go by the standard 1/6 HE penetration rule.

[O7]
Members
1,008 posts
14,165 battles

I always say, if you are gonna go for an AA or secondary BB, go ALL IN. Don't skimp on something like IFHE in order to take conceal or Fire Prevention. If you are secondary spec, you are FULL secondary spec.

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles

There is an "inefficient with selected configuration" marker over the IFHE on Bismarck captain skills... but you can still select it. Why is that?

Members
610 posts
4,973 battles
Just now, Stauffenberg44 said:

There is an "inefficient with selected configuration" marker over the IFHE on Bismarck captain skills... but you can still select it. Why is that?

I not only run IFHE on many of my secondary build BBs (Yamato and Izumo included because having 127's that can pen the 27mm plating of US and German CAs is useful), but also several of my RN BBs. It has that way of turning the 1/4 pen HE shells into more of an SAP shell. Using the now 'SAP' from my RN BBs on lighter armored cruisers has dramatically cut down on my overpens and it's dog gone hilarious to get HE cits on ships. You've got to be very sure of how much armor your target has to get full effectiveness out of it, but it makes a heck of a difference. In the case of secondaries, it's taking the DP 105mm guns on Bismarck and Tirpitz that are useless except vs. lower tier DDs and making them actually able to do some damage, and because of their ROF, they throw the vast majority of your secondary shells. I think Bismarck and Tirpitz could honestly use the buff that FDG recently got by giving the 105's the 1/4 pen rule even without IFHE. It just goes to show that the 'recommendations' are more guidelines than actual rules and personal judgement still is the rule of the day when it comes to setting up your ships.

• Cool 1

[WOLF7]
Members
767 posts
3,722 battles
9 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

The "recommended" is based on the caliber of the main battery guns which would be correct for the bis and all big giant guns.  It doesnt take into account how much of a bonus IFHE is on the secondary batteries of the ship.

• Cool 1

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles
3 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

The "recommended" is based on the caliber of the main battery guns which would be correct for the bis and all big giant guns.  It doesnt take into account how much of a bonus IFHE is on the secondary batteries of the ship.

That's what I thought, thanks.

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles
1 minute ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

From what it seems, it only takes into consideration your main battery for IFHE but it actuallys increases every HE shell penetration.

7 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

German battleships can be built a bit differently when going full secondaries, due to those HE shells having the 1/4 pen standard (essentially IFHE without taking the skill).  IFHE will still help you against better armored targets, but it isn't as effective as it would be on ships like Alsace and Massachusetts, who go by the standard 1/6 HE penetration rule.

Actually, the IFHE on the Massachusetts will let you penetrate cruisers armour, which in turn will considerably increase your DPS.
It penetration values goes from 21,166 to 27,516 which in turn lets you penetrate bow and belt armour of most light cruisers and some heavy cruisers' bow.

[CSALT]
Members
921 posts
34 minutes ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I believe that it is inefficient with the main battery which is why it is marked like that.  It is, however, efficient with the secondary batteries.

I nelieve the game allows you to select skills it doesn't think are efficient because it is a choice each Captain can make wisely or poorly.

• Cool 1

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles
17 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I believe that it is inefficient with the main battery which is why it is marked like that.  It is, however, efficient with the secondary batteries.

I nelieve the game allows you to select skills it doesn't think are efficient because it is a choice each Captain can make wisely or poorly.

Yes this thread clarified that for me finally... after some 560 battles in the Bismarck. ;)