You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1Sherman

I was just reading the planned CV changes for Patch 8.4 and it raised a question.

106 comments in this topic

Alpha Tester
5,856 posts
2,864 battles

What I'm referring to in this instance is where it says that you won't be able to launch aircraft for a period of time at the beginning of a match. Since it didn't provide a specific time, I'm curious: How long will that waiting period be?

Will it be short and sweet at about 10-20 seconds, or will it be more prolonged, between 30 seconds and a minute? As a CV player, I think that having to wait a full minute to get my planes in the air would not be very fun. Of course people who hate CVs would love that, but then again they'd also love if CV players were only able to launch their planes in the last 10 seconds of a match, so I don't really listen to them.

Anyways, does anyone know just how long the waiting period will be? Thanks in advance to anyone who provides an answer to my question.

Sincerely,

1Sherman.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 3

[WOLFG]
Members
4,411 posts
2,379 battles

I believe the work in progress numbers (subject to change) were:

T4 - 0 seconds

T6 - 15 seconds

T8 - 30 seconds

T10 - 45 seconds

But don't quote me.

• Cool 2

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,888 posts
2,810 battles

Tier IV: 0 seconds

Tier VI: 15 seconds

Tier VIII: 30 seconds

Tier X: 45 seconds

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,389 posts
10,059 battles

It's not going to make much of a difference.  I was in a Leander yesterday in a double CV match.  They both hit me just outside of home cap in a Standard battle.  I'd have to review the replay but I think it was under two minutes into the battle.

• Cool 4

Members
85 posts
400 battles
10 minutes ago, 1Sherman said:

What I'm referring to in this instance is where it says that you won't be able to launch aircraft for a period of time at the beginning of a match. Since it didn't provide a specific time, I'm curious: How long will that waiting period be?

Will it be short and sweet at about 10-20 seconds, or will it be more prolonged, between 30 seconds and a minute? As a CV player, I think that having to wait a full minute to get my planes in the air would not be very fun. Of course people who hate CVs would love that, but then again they'd also love if CV players were only able to launch their planes in the last 10 seconds of a match, so I don't really listen to them.

Anyways, does anyone know just how long the waiting period will be? Thanks in advance to anyone who provides an answer to my question.

Sincerely,

1Sherman.

Ask the DD player how fun it is when you blep him for 3rd or half his HP with every attack run, rendering him/her useless for the rest of the battle.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,633 posts
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

It's not going to make much of a difference.  I was in a Leander yesterday in a double CV match.  They both hit me just outside of home cap in a Standard battle.  I'd have to review the replay but I think it was under two minutes into the battle.

At two minutes into the battle, just about everything can start shooting at everything else.  CVs or not.

• Bad 1

[PQUOD]
Members
1,672 posts
8,823 battles

Actually I see it as a advantage to CV's in random. Reason being, it will allow time for DD's who rush to caps at full speed time to separate from their CA/CL AA bubble. Not all,  it's some that do that. Just my two cents.

• Cool 3

[INTEL]
Members
1,389 posts
10,059 battles

I'll go look at the replay but I was another two minutes away from shooting at anything.  This was a T8 battle on Hotspot (48x48 km) in a Leander (12km range).  With the T8 CVs in the air both sides were clumped on either side of the islands.  Even while pushed up near the islands I had little in range to shoot at until later in the battle.  That first double attack from T8 CVs against a T6 cruiser illustrates the frustration some of us are trying to convey.  Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide and no way to respond other than just take it.

[INTEL]
Members
1,389 posts
10,059 battles
7 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Actually I see it as a advantage to CV's in random. Reason being, it will allow time for DD's who rush to caps at full speed time to separate from their CA/CL AA bubble. Not all,  it's some that do that. Just my two cents.

This.  It'll weed out the weak sooner.  And many will still just hang back to see where the planes are headed.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles
2 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

This.  It'll weed out the weak sooner.  And many will still just hang back to see where the planes are headed.

Just hang back. (aka camping). Just what WG wants. Mission accomplished.

[WAG]
Members
569 posts
9,320 battles

I think this is a good change, and I am sure they will look at results and adjust the times. My clan and I were discussing just such a change a few weeks ago. It is similar to the load time for destroyers.

Beta Testers
703 posts
9,300 battles
10 minutes ago, ClassicLib said:

I'll go look at the replay but I was another two minutes away from shooting at anything.  This was a T8 battle on Hotspot (48x48 km) in a Leander (12km range).  With the T8 CVs in the air both sides were clumped on either side of the islands.  Even while pushed up near the islands I had little in range to shoot at until later in the battle.  That first double attack from T8 CVs against a T6 cruiser illustrates the frustration some of us are trying to convey.  Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide and no way to respond other than just take it.

Fun and engaging. 

For the cv. Not so much for anyone else.

• Cool 4

[INTEL]
Members
1,389 posts
10,059 battles
3 minutes ago, DustRhino said:

I think this is a good change, and I am sure they will look at results and adjust the times. My clan and I were discussing just such a change a few weeks ago. It is similar to the load time for destroyers.

I had talked about this with clanmates as well and thought it was a good idea.  I then took note of the first time in battle where planes approached the front ships.  Then waited to see where those ships were 30 seconds later.  That's when I realized it matters little...

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,856 posts
2,864 battles
22 minutes ago, LGBTQ_DatingApp said:

Ask the DD player how fun it is when you blep him for 3rd or half his HP with every attack run, rendering him/her useless for the rest of the battle.

I just got out of a match where my Blyska was hounded by a Furious the entire time. Between dodging rockets and torpedoes while also gunning down enemy BBs and DDs, it was quite the adrenaline rush. Sure he kept me spotted, but I still had a fun, decent game.

As well, just because you've lost a portion of your HP doesn't mean you're useless. If that were true, all those Dreadnought medals my Bismarck, NC, and Iowa have would be meaningless. DDs, no matter their HP, are still of use so long as their guns will fire, their torps will shoot, and they can still move around the battlefield.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,389 posts
10,059 battles
1 minute ago, Velled said:

Fun and engaging. 

For the cv. Not so much for anyone else.

I guess I also didn't mention getting immediately targeted by several of the heavy red ships once I was spotted.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,496 battles
1 hour ago, ClassicLib said:

I had a Midway effectively sink my Daring 3 minutes into a game with a single flight.

Using my heal got me a grand total of 60 seconds of additional game time before being sunk at the 4 minute mark, a first blood, by the second flight. I did no damage, shot down no planes, and had no counterplay.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,496 battles
1 hour ago, LGBTQ_DatingApp said:

Can confirm. Such enjoyable fun to be out of the game by the 3 minute mark.

• Boring 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,705 posts
9,439 battles

I'd really prefer it be capped at 30 seconds for T6-10 so the sudden longer delay isn't frustrating for anyone grinding up the lines. RTS CV was annoying enough w/ the flight prep time on all squadrons.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,126 posts
6,607 battles
3 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I had a Midway effectively sink my Daring 3 minutes into a game with a single flight.

Then you are either lying or not playing your ship right.

• Cool 3
  • Angry 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,179 posts
10,496 battles
11 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Then you are either lying or not playing your ship right.

I’ll gladly post the video if someone can tell me how to get replays to play. Launching the replay file just takes me to the login screen now.

Just don’t ask me to post the folder name that I have the screenshots and replay file in.

Edit: Here’s one of the screenshots. Their Midway was simply unstoppable and ended top of the team.

CH97LCA.jpg

Edited by HazardDrake
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Alpha Tester
5,856 posts
2,864 battles
16 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

Using my heal got me a grand total of 60 seconds of additional game time before being sunk at the 4 minute mark, a first blood, by the second flight. I did no damage, shot down no planes, and had no counterplay.

That's when you pop smoke, turn off your AA, and wait for him to get bored and find a new target before slipping away.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[KAPPA]
Members
711 posts
5,593 battles
5 minutes ago, HazardDrake said:

I’ll gladly post the video if someone can tell me how to get replays to play. Launching the replay file just takes me to the login screen now.

Just don’t ask me to post the folder name that I have the screenshots and replay file in.

I'm sure he disabled your smoke quite easily, right? And your A and D keys. And your ability to retreat/reposition before the second wave comes. And your second smoke charge, as you'd surely have a second usable by that point. 

Nope! No counter at all!

• Cool 4
  • Bad 2

Alpha Tester
5,856 posts
2,864 battles
Just now, Shoggoth_pinup said:

I'm sure he disabled your smoke quite easily, right? And your A and D keys. And your ability to retreat/reposition before the second wave comes. And your second smoke charge, as you'd surely have a second usable by that point. 

Nope! No counter at all!

Amen to that.

• Funny 1
  • Bad 1

[KNCOL]
Members
350 posts
1,374 battles

This may be a dumb question but when this time is added would you still be able to move your carrier to a position?

Alpha Tester
5,856 posts
2,864 battles
Just now, Koogus said:

This may be a dumb question but when this time is added would you still be able to move your carrier to a position?

Yes you would. You'd just have to wait a period of time before your planes can get in the air.