You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
VonSmallHausenn

the rise of the very bad players.....

57 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
708 posts
8,494 battles

...Nothing to do with the CV rework, at least not directly. But.....the amount of players who have absolutely no idea where to go when the game starts ,so they rather just sail ,where the rest  sails?? One can literally see at start, players hesitate,,wait,to see where others go....sometimes red already gets a cap, green team still on the sight viewing tour... DD leaving his flank  ,to sail to the other side of map,,,for whatever reason ? CLs and BBs turn off right at start,,leaving dd in deep......t ....   The call at the 10 sec mark, to cap this or that,,,so the ENTIRE team sails to that cap,,,than fails  to get that cap,,,,  Monday morning,,weeknights,, not just the weekends anymore..... What is going on ?! I`m seriously thinking to stop playing for a while,,,but in truth, game experience getting worse week by week... Not the losing streaks,,,one can be on either side,,,still not fun to see either side just fold....Many winning battles,top players barrely breaking 1000XP(base)..for opposing team just won`t fight ?   Probably 1 battle in 10,, that somehow plays like it was supposed to be... 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,098 posts

I read it a few times. Couldn’t discern any real point other than than you don’t like this game. Sounds(*) like you are new to pvp, randomly rostered, team based games. 

Edit and Note for the cognitively disadvantaged : (*) referring to tone of OP who is obviously just venting and w 8k battles is not new.

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
3,924 posts
8,465 battles

On the other hand, I'm still getting good tough battles daily that are quite enjoyable, win or lose.

But in the main I agree with you--there seems to be an entirely new level of player obtuseness manifesting itself. Player quality in your battles will always fluctuate. I struggle not to get irked at times.

• Cool 2

Members
2,125 posts
1,247 battles
10 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

...Nothing to do with the CV rework, at least not directly. But.....the amount of players who have absolutely no idea where to go when the game starts ,so they rather just sail ,where the rest  sails?? One can literally see at start, players hesitate,,wait,to see where others go....sometimes red already gets a cap, green team still on the sight viewing tour... DD leaving his flank  ,to sail to the other side of map,,,for whatever reason ? CLs and BBs turn off right at start,,leaving dd in deep......t ....   The call at the 10 sec mark, to cap this or that,,,so the ENTIRE team sails to that cap,,,than fails  to get that cap,,,,  Monday morning,,weeknights,, not just the weekends anymore..... What is going on ?! I`m seriously thinking to stop playing for a while,,,but in truth, game experience getting worse week by week... Not the losing streaks,,,one can be on either side,,,still not fun to see either side just fold....Many winning battles,top players barrely breaking 1000XP(base)..for opposing team just won`t fight ?   Probably 1 battle in 10,, that somehow plays like it was supposed to be... 

This happened to Starcraft in the mid 2000s.

The playerbase got progressively more and more immature.

It's sad, but inevitable.

• Cool 3

[WOLF7]
Members
761 posts
3,713 battles

My experience hasn't been as bad as yours.  I've had several games over the weekend where I have gotten 1200 - 1500 base xp and been near the bottom of the team so luckily I've  been on some good teams and I still have faith.  But overall I would agree that the frequency of just flat out bad/unexplainable plays has risen.  I've seen out numbered groups of 2 or 3 players push head first into triple their numbers and I've seen others cases where we win the fight for a cap and have an open flank and the DD and cruiser push and the 3 BBs drop anchor instead of moving forward. 

Dont blame you if you take a break.  Game is in kind of a crapstate right now.  It's sad that other players can choose ships that they enjoy but have crap AA and then they are forced to play stupid and the whole team suffers.  Throw that in the mix with the normal potatoes and what are you left with...not much

Edited by T_O_dubl_D
  • Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Members
708 posts
8,494 battles
15 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I read it a few times. Couldn’t discern any real point other than than you don’t like this game. Sounds like you are new to pvp, randomly rostered, team based games. 

? I`m playing pvp randomly roastered ,team(?) based games since ..we have them.. late 90`s i guess ? If i would not like this game,,there would be no point to write here at all....   It just frustrating as hell. To see,the mindlessness, game after game.... 

[WOLF7]
Members
761 posts
3,713 battles
1 minute ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

? I`m playing pvp randomly roastered ,team(?) based games since ..we have them.. late 90`s i guess ? If i would not like this game,,there would be no point to write here at all....   It just frustrating as hell. To see,the mindlessness, game after game.... 

Dont pay attention to him...the guy with the hidden profile shouldn't be calling out the guy with 8k games for ANYTHING

• Cool 1

[WNNR]
Members
182 posts
5,432 battles

It has been a lot worse lately I pretty much avoid randoms and stick to CBs currently. 

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
561 posts
12,087 battles

Random games are random. I haven't been seeing as many curb stomps lately and a lot of the battles have come right down to the timer. I've personally felt more of an individual impact on games. With that being said I hope you get some more competitive matches soon; I know it can be frustrating. 

youve-putin-a-lot-of-work-goodluck.jpg

[OO7]
Members
4,278 posts
10,947 battles

I like bad players in the game. 12/11 chance there are more on the enemy team. 4/3 if I'm in a full div. 

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,004 posts
14,165 battles

Something everyone must at some point realize is that an overwhelming majority [yes that includes those above 50%] of players are downright awful at this game. That is fine, but being surprised or pretending this is a new phenomenon is silly.

• Cool 2

[SIDE]
Members
2,098 posts

It’s frustrating when players play differently than you’d like. It’s frustrating to play poorly. It’s frustrating to make an effort to win that becomes an effort to carry that still ends up a loss.

It’s foolish imagine that you are the only player on the team who cares. It’s foolish to think every single player hasn’t felt the same frustration. 

We all been there. We all take the good with the bad. We all like win streaks and hate a run of losses. 

Its easy to blame “them”. Instead, try coaching a bit in team chat. Sometimes folks genuinely don’t know what’s happening or don’t realize things until too late. Constructive feedback in game might make a difference. 

Edited by thebigblue
iPhone spell check sucks
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[WOLF7]
Members
11,405 posts
3 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

It’s frustrating when players play differently than you’d like. It’s frustrating too play badly. It’s frustrating to make an effort to win that becomes an effort to carry that still ends up a loss.

It’s foolish imagine that you are the only player on the team who cares. It’s foolish to think every single player hasn’t felt the same frustration. 

We all been there. We all take the good with the bad. We all like win streaks and hate a run of losses. 

Its easier to blame “them”. Instead, try coaching a bit in team chat. Sometimes folks genuinely don’t know what’s happening or don’t realize things until too late. Constructive feedback in game might make a difference. 

Have you ever actually tried this, and not lost karma? :Smile_teethhappy:

Most people won't respond at all, or respond negatively....this isn't really a reasonable expectation.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
2,098 posts
17 minutes ago, T_O_dubl_D said:

Dont pay attention to him...the guy with the hidden profile shouldn't be calling out the guy with 8k games for ANYTHING

I have 3x the games you do. You are a fool if you think hidden profile diminishes a persons skill or ability to contribute to a discussion. Assuming your stats are better than mine (and any informed player reading this actually gives a ratsaz about stats to begin with) what you just posted should mean more but it was a trite personal attack against me and said even less about the topic than I did. That’s just idiotic.

Edited by thebigblue

[TOG]
Members
3,413 posts
17,836 battles

there was a weekend where it got really bad that I stopped playing for a week. I decided to play differently.

1. Play in a tier where CV's are more of a nuisance than a menace. 

2. Play an OP ship. 

3. Combine #1 and #2.

4. Play a tanky ship

5. Play a Unique Upgrade ship.

6. Combine #4 and #5. 

[SIDE]
Members
2,098 posts
Just now, awiggin said:

Have you ever actually tried this, and not lost karma? :Smile_teethhappy:

Most people won't respond at all, or respond negatively....this isn't really a reasonable expectation.

I know. It’s thankless for the most part. Sometimes it makes a difference. Sometimes it ques the rest of the team to call out the questionable tactic as well. I still think it’s reasonable to expect but admit that what is reasonable isn’t always what happens. Lol.

[WOLFC]
Members
885 posts
5,988 battles

We were always here....we work on the contintental shift though so you may not recognise us.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,787 posts
10,277 battles

I don't think the bad players have gotten worse, I think the good players have gotten better.

At the beginning you have two groups of people with equal skill: one group doesn't know or care enough to improve their gameplay and just does whatever, and the other, even if slowly, do make an effort to understand the game and better themselves at it. Over time, the skill of the first group doesn't get worse, they just stay the same, but as long as the skill of the second group continues to get better, the gap widens and continues to widen.

Even if you are at the tail end of the second group, it will seem like the first group, which, by the way, make up the bulk of the playerbase, are getting worse because you are improving. This is also why even though average winrate is perhaps 50%, median winrate is probably closer to 45%, because a large number of 40% are being balanced by a small but long tail of 60%+. People always mention that they are seeing more sub 50% players than not in a match, but in a 12-person team, average winrate is still 50% if you have eleven 49%s and one 61%. 

Edited by pikohan

Members
687 posts
12,836 battles

Many of your veteran players who know how to play have just stopped playing.

They have dumbed down the game so much and allowed planes to dominate how the game is played.

The good player gets tired of these tactics designed to make everyone closer to 50% and he/she finds a different game where skill counts for something.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 1

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,435 posts
20,950 battles
46 minutes ago, VonSmallHausenn said:

Man  you  hit  it  right between  the eyes  on  your  opinion ..     I've been noticing the same things and saying to myself where did all the decent players  go

?  Did they leave this game or what ,  because when I look up the profile of the players on my team I notice below 40% players with high tier ships  and only 500 games worth of experience tells me why our teams end up in blow-out one way extreme loss's happening way too often now.  never seen this if you go back a couple of years  ? ? ? ?

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,940 posts

They could always just be trying something different. Of course if the usual isn't winning that would be a good thing, right?

Members
352 posts

No, it's just that all the garbage players have failed their way to the top tiers. Given time, even a 20% WR player can fail his way to the top. Plus the influx of ADD kids and mouthbreathers when the game hit STEAM didn't help.

Members
3,924 posts
8,465 battles
11 minutes ago, pikohan said:

At the beginning you have two groups of people with equal skill: one group doesn't know or care enough to improve their gameplay and just does whatever, and the other, even if slowly, do make an effort to understand the game and better themselves at it.

Yes, I call the former noobs, and the latter newbs. There's no shame in being a newb obviously, we all went through  that.But the psychology of the noob is interesting. It's almost a perverse desire to mess things up, even down to just punching in commands over and over (e.g. "Set a smoke screen! I need intelligence data!"... 30 times in a battle). The noob motto might be non serviam ("I will not serve") spoken by Lucifer in his rejection of God and heaven. Or perhaps it's just a sort of witless anarchism. I was into that once... in my early teens.

[TBW]
Members
7,431 posts
13,599 battles

Random battles will really mess with your head, unless you don't really care about the outcome. On the rare occasion that I play random battles, I just try my best and accept the outcome. I then go back to a mode that I enjoy.

[CAFE]
Beta Testers
4,492 posts
9,692 battles

I will just leave this here.. was the enemy team.   and no,  Not coop Scores.

image.png.85f88431343d7e1002ce443ed0898da9.png