Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Hipper - C hull or range first?

8 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
195 posts
4,535 battles

Working on the Hipper.  I'm thinking get range module before the "C" hull.  Thoughts?

[WOLFC]
Members
237 posts
3,946 battles

Range. If I recall correctly, the C hull only increases AA over the B hull. The Hipper has excellent ballistics, so the the extra range is very valuable. If CVs are a problem, you may consider slotting DFAA over hydro until you grind the C hull.

Edited by Nevermore135

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,003 posts
5,775 battles

i never managed to make hipper work,baltimore always looked like a superior ship in everything except torpedoes.

for a ship with "german AP",i score more damage with baltimore than the german meme ap.

[WOLFC]
Members
237 posts
3,946 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

i never managed to make hipper work,baltimore always looked like a superior ship in everything except torpedoes.

for a ship with "german AP",i score more damage with baltimore than the german meme ap.

German AP is quite light and has comparatively low penetration (especially vs angled targets) but is devestating vs. flat broadsides. In contrast, while the individual shell performance of the HE is below average, the 1/4 penetration makes it very consistent. I’ve found that the German CAs reward proper ammo selection much more than other nations. I use a lot of HE, and switch to AP when the targets present themselves. Expert Loader is my 11pt skill of choice for the line.

Beta Testers
1,685 posts
3,820 battles
2 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Working on the Hipper.  I'm thinking get range module before the "C" hull.  Thoughts?

Range is more important to the current meta so go with the range module.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,138 posts
17,505 battles
3 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

The only things that stand out with German Cruiser AP is the higher raw damage and superior shell flight characteristics.  In terms of penetration among 203mm armed Tier VIII CAs, only Baltimore has higher pen.  It's easier hitting things at range with the German 203mm guns.

Baltimore gets the SHS AP with very high penetration capability and USN CA bounce angle advantage.  With the arcing shells, special bounce angles, it's easier to do AP damage if you can hit.  But those floaty shells make it annoying to hit distant and / or fast targets.

If you want to troll a USN Cruiser player, play a speeding RU DD Gunboat and pelt him at 12km+.  There's nothing they can do, they can't hit you with those floaty shells.  I still remember being caught out in open water with Old Tier IX Baltimore and a VII Leningrad was hammering me at range.  I couldn't hit him.   But try that against those fast flying German Cruiser shells, you're getting nailed.

Ien1JKp.png

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[S_C_N]
Beta Testers
215 posts
1,200 battles

The AA hull is invaluable considering how CVs are right now.

Sign in to follow this