You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HorrorRoach

Shells through obstacles...always like that?

28 comments in this topic

[BS]
Members
1,377 posts
7,635 battles

I noticed maybe 2 patches ago, that if you shoot through an island or something, the shells that went through the "ground" don't do damage when they hit a ship. I frequent the forums daily, i don't remember reading anything about this change. Was it in patch notes? Logical solution, surprised I haven't seen anyone talk about it if it was mentioned in patch notes etc... it'd be funny if it's always been like that and i just never noticed.

EJ

• Cool 1

[SOV]
Members
2,544 posts
16 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

I noticed maybe 2 patches ago, that if you shoot through an island or something, the shells that went through the "ground" don't do damage when they hit a ship. I frequent the forums daily, i don't remember reading anything about this change. Was it in patch notes? Logical solution, surprised I haven't seen anyone talk about it if it was mentioned in patch notes etc... it'd be funny if it's always been like that and i just never noticed.

EJ

Aa goes through ilands which is nuts.

• Cool 1

Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles

I have never seen rounds go thru an island and I have hit a LOT of islands.

Members
120 posts
14,782 battles

Been happening for quite a lot longer than a few patches.. I'd give it 5+ months

• Cool 2

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
33 posts
7,195 battles

I think I know what you're talking about HorrorRoach. Sometimes when I'm island hugging in my Des Moines firing at a ship I'll get the "Cannot shoot over island" indicator, but when I fire I can physically see my shells traveling to the enemy ship, but they don't impact. Those shells do not register as hits. My div mate informed me that my shells were in fact hitting the island, but for me, while zoomed in, it appeared they were traveling to the enemy ship, but not registering as hits. 

So I personally see the shells traveling, but everyone else sees them hitting the islands *shrug* "Working as intended"

Edited by Stay_Thresh
  • Cool 1

[PIZZA]
Members
823 posts
9,310 battles
16 minutes ago, BirdForce said:

Been happening for quite a lot longer than a few patches.. I'd give it 5+ months

How about years? Torps also go through islands. 

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
57 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

I have never seen rounds go thru an island and I have hit a LOT of islands.

It only happens when you're close.

[CSALT]
Members
914 posts
1 hour ago, HorrorRoach said:

EJ

I am not sure it is intentional, but I have noticed it since I started playing a year ago.  First when my shells appeared to hit rhe target and nothing happened.  I've always assumed it was a glitch.

[CSALT]
Members
914 posts
1 hour ago, jags_domain said:

Aa goes through ilands which is nuts.

Since 0.8 I have yet to see AA go through an island.  At least mine never does.

[INR]
Members
1,224 posts
4,060 battles
22 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Since 0.8 I have yet to see AA go through an island.  At least mine never does.

Mine hasn't either.

[CSALT]
Members
914 posts
10 minutes ago, WuYixiang said:

Mine hasn't either.

I've seen it shoot over low parts of ialands like regular shots do, but it always stops when the planes actually lose line of sight.

[BS]
Members
1,377 posts
7,635 battles

Something feels different about the AP shells in Missouri... i can't prove it yet, but i swear shells hit and don't do anything, frequently (no island involved). I never get those 10-12k AP super structure salvos like i used to on german BBs for example.

[WOLFC]
Members
258 posts
3,988 battles

I’ve seen my shells clip the top of an island (complete with the explosion of dirt visual effect) and continue on the to the target for no effect multiple times. In these cases, no hits were registered. I believe it’s a graphical/rendering error on your end. I’d assume that to everyone else in battle, the shells were stopped by the island.

[-VT-]
Members
16 posts
12,281 battles
5 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

EJ

I have experienced this frequently over the last patch or two. It almost always happens as I’m moving behind or from behind an island. 

I just attributed it to lag, but now I’m wondering if there’s more to it. 

[-VT-]
Members
16 posts
12,281 battles
54 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Something feels different about the AP shells in Missouri... i can't prove it yet, but i swear shells hit and don't do anything, frequently (no island involved). I never get those 10-12k AP super structure salvos like i used to on german BBs for example.

It’s not with just the Missouri, I don’t have that ship, but the no-damage shells through islands has happened to me, rather frequently. Probably a half-dozen times now. 

[WOLFB]
Members
271 posts
5,710 battles

I have this happening all the time. :Smile_teethhappy:

Just get in any ship and go near island cover, start shooting and go into free look mode and you should start seeing some of em go through the island pretty much every volley.

First time i saw it was quite a while ago, it freaked me the hell out. I got used to it after a while but it's become a bit annoying when it makes me thing that i got more shells to go to the enemy than I actually did.

Some maps seem to be more susceptible to it, with lower islands usually being the ones that make this happen. The northern islands in the A cap of Estuary are where I've seen ENTIRE VOLLEYS go through instead of just a few shells.

[JNPR]
Alpha Tester
1,703 posts
2,301 battles
2 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

I’ve seen my shells clip the top of an island (complete with the explosion of dirt visual effect) and continue on the to the target for no effect multiple times. In these cases, no hits were registered. I believe it’s a graphical/rendering error on your end. I’d assume that to everyone else in battle, the shells were stopped by the island.

This. It probably depends on the level of detail in the settings.

Terrain won't render the same for everyone, and a player might see his shells travel through the terrain (local client) but the game (server) won't register any hits, because the shells impacted the island in reality.

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
351 posts
4,285 battles

I notice it occurring when you're using an island of cover and lobbing shells while using binoculars; shells that hit the island still render. This started happening some time around january. 

[BS]
Members
1,377 posts
7,635 battles
12 hours ago, PG908 said:

I notice it occurring when you're using an island of cover and lobbing shells while using binoculars; shells that hit the island still render. This started happening some time around january. 

Yeah, they changed the way shells interact with stuff IN GENERAL and didn't tell anyone. I swear AP shells fly through the edge's of ships all the time now. Like they shrank the hitboxes of all ships by 2-3% or something.

[NUWES]
Members
2,128 posts
6,734 battles
20 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

EJ

I've never seen this. I have seen AA go through islands sometimes though. I suspect it is something to do with the client and host disagreeing on where an object is. 

[WOLF3]
Members
19,205 posts
17,569 battles

Islands still block shells.  Was trying to "Kill Secure" by lobbing shells over an island last night and surprise, surprise, the shells were blocked as they didn't arc up high enough.

[BS]
Members
1,377 posts
7,635 battles

It's almost tempting to install 0.7.10 on asia, run a training room... Get in an Iowa and fire AP salvos at a Kurfurst, then do the exact same thing on the NA server with version 0.8.3 and see what's different exactly. I swear AP salvos on Iowa/Missouri are less rewarding now for some reason, something to do with shell interaction changed and they didn't tell anyone.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,205 posts
17,569 battles
27 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

It's almost tempting to install 0.7.10 on asia, run a training room... Get in an Iowa and fire AP salvos at a Kurfurst, then do the exact same thing on the NA server with version 0.8.3 and see what's different exactly. I swear AP salvos on Iowa/Missouri are less rewarding now for some reason, something to do with shell interaction changed and they didn't tell anyone.

Do it and let's see how the Confirmation Bias goes.

[SSBN]
Members
520 posts
10,123 battles
20 hours ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

I've seen it shoot over low parts of ialands like regular shots do, but it always stops when the planes actually lose line of sight.

If another ship has line of sight on the planes, but you don't the AA will still fire.  I've tested this on several maps where s ship out of AA range is spotting my planes and a ship that is unlit because I have no LOS to it is firing its AA.  It seems that AA treats the islands sorta like smoke.  

Edited by brdhntr