You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

Legendary Upgrade for Hindenburg

49 comments in this topic

[13CLM]
Members
304 posts
1,905 battles

I've played around 50 matches with my Hindy after getting him a few months ago. I worked on the USN BB grind and finished mid last week. I was thinking of finishing the French BB line, I'm at T8, But, I'm going to work on getting the LU for the Hindy, is the upgrade worth it for him?. 

[O_O]
Members
5,010 posts
11,252 battles

It basically makes Hindenburg immune to fire.  Yeah, I think it is worth it.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,272 posts
10,908 battles
7 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

It basically makes Hindenburg immune to fire.  Yeah, I think it is worth it.

Fire and flooding. If you are using the detection module it will be a painful choice as your detection will skyrocket. However if you were using the rudder module you will not become any more detectable and only lose a little bit of rudder speed.

[INTEL]
Members
7,063 posts
28,893 battles

I like mine, Makes it immune to fire, not to AP and cits though.

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

No, it's pretty worthless. If dying to fires was a problem for you then you were doing it wrong in the first place. 

• Cool 3

Members
243 posts
72 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 8:59 PM, Markk9 said:

I've played around 50 matches with my Hindy after getting him a few months ago. I worked on the USN BB grind and finished mid last week. I was thinking of finishing the French BB line, I'm at T8, But, I'm going to work on getting the LU for the Hindy, is the upgrade worth it for him?. 

I think its pretty worth it. You pretty much never have to use repair again with it mounted and can duell with the likes of Henri´s and Zao and win most of the time because of the fire nerf to the ship.

It makes the best T10 tank even more tanky!

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles

The Hindenburg UU goes into slot 5. Here's the math done for you, so you can compare the slot 5 upgrades with the UU.

Here are all the rest of the UUs.

• Cool 1

[LEGIT]
Members
1,670 posts
24,443 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 12:10 PM, BrushWolf said:

Fire and flooding. If you are using the detection module it will be a painful choice as your detection will skyrocket. However if you were using the rudder module you will not become any more detectable and only lose a little bit of rudder speed.

And put Franz Von Jutland on there for the jack of all trades and vigilance skill double plus good too.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,811 posts

I just got it a few days ago. 

I had SGM3 in slot 5 and DCSM2 in slot 4.

Swapped the unique upgrade into slot 5 and SGM2 into slot 4, to retain the same rudder shift time, while upgrading the fire and flooding repair times.  The quick rudder combined with the Hindy's hull make it a really tough nut for the enemy to crack.  The captain also has BOS, so a single fire or flood can pretty much be ignored. 

(No, I don't build to the precious meta... thanks for asking.)

[13CLM]
Members
304 posts
1,905 battles

Made it stage 5, now I need 40,000 base XP, this is going to be the grind part for me.

Members
22,334 posts
5,780 battles
On Sunday, May 05, 2019 at 4:28 PM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

No, it's pretty worthless. If dying to fires was a problem for you then you were doing it wrong in the first place. 

Who said anything about dying to fires? Fires may, for example, be the first 10k HP you lose, but with the upgrade, that's like 9k HP you won't lose, and you can save your repair for modules.

I think it mainly depends on whether or you use the concealment or rudder shift upgrade.

Members
22,334 posts
5,780 battles
On Monday, May 06, 2019 at 5:40 PM, KilljoyCutter said:

I just got it a few days ago. 

I had SGM3 in slot 5 and DCSM2 in slot 4.

Swapped the unique upgrade into slot 5 and SGM2 into slot 4, to retain the same rudder shift time, while upgrading the fire and flooding repair times.  The quick rudder combined with the Hindy's hull make it a really tough nut for the enemy to crack.  The captain also has BOS, so a single fire or flood can pretty much be ignored. 

(No, I don't build to the precious meta... thanks for asking.)

That's what I'm going to do too.

I think most run the concealment and ROF upgrades, where I prefer rudder shift and range upgrades.

With the 19-point captain, it's my elite captain XP gainer, so the more damage, the more XP. And being able to burn BBs at 20.7km when there's nothing better to shoot at helps.

Best game to date was a 219k win, and with the %200, that was good for almost 70k elite XP.

• Cool 1

[XPLOD]
Members
15 posts
2,562 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 1:59 PM, Markk9 said:

I can only tell you I played a match, 1 match, one match, uno match, yesterday, in my Tier 9 Kronstadt against a Hindy and it was a Naval Battle for me. So I had to take this match seriously for doing damage.  So take it for what it is worth. 

The Hindy had used the blind starting couple minutes to turn his ship around 180 and approach my team in reverse. I caught this right away and thought this is going to hurt him because I see what he is doing and can gauge he can only be going 1/2 speed. I missed, he didn't. We get closer and closer, I keep missing and he keeps hitting. Range gets down to where I should be getting Multiple hits and I am still missing. With this being a Naval Battle for me and I have to get 10,000 points of damage, I figure there has to be something special that WOW gave this Hindy that I don't know about, like the dancing Des Moines CA.  So I figure I am taking too many hits for what I am dishing out and should move on, only to see my CV coming up behind me. So now I have to think, is my loyalty to my Clan more important to my team in this Battle? Something in me said I have to defend this CV. So I keep firing and trying to distract the Hindy. The Hindy Driver sees the CV behind the island and thinks I am chump change. He starts destroying the CV with my Kronstadt between them. By this time I am relieved to see that I have made my Clan Battle bar ofv20K damage. But my CV is almost sunk. I am further relieved that a Jean Bart has joined me in this gunfight against the Hindy. But I soon find out it doesn't matter. The Hindy sinks my Teams CV, then it sinks me, as the Hindy finally retreats, it heavily damages my teams Jean Bart. 

I know that the Russian game designers hate Germans.  And my Gruber Kurfürst Tier 10 unique upgrade is worthless because who would give up 5KM firing range for the ability to reload 3 seconds faster? Using this unique upgrade on my Kufurst makes my BB in range of CAs that I can't reach out and touch. 

But whatever the unique upgrade is for the Hindy, it works like a 15 % shell dispersion for incoming shells. 

I read all the other mail and can say, I was firing HE from my 12 inch guns at the Hindy, thinking I should be able to penetrate and start fires. Never struck a match on the Hindy. 

Edited by Dan_1607

Members
144 posts
5,342 battles

With rampant cv planes spotting you the loss of concealment upgrade for the legendary upgrade I think is a wise choice.

[JASH]
Members
3,681 posts
10,060 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 1:28 PM, Kapitan_Wuff said:

This and or your team completely bungled the match and superior opponents focused you down so hard that it's choice between risking your ship to do something or stay dark to the extent of doing next to nothing but staying alive. The later is rare but it can happen. Receiving fire and flood damage is not a primary concern with Hindenburg; its citadel damage from plunging AP from longer ranges. 

Edited by MrKilmister
  • Cool 1

Members
22,334 posts
5,780 battles
51 minutes ago, MrKilmister said:

Receiving fire and flood damage is not a primary concerns with Hindenburg; its citadel damage from plunging AP from longer ranges. 

This is true. However, if you didn't use the concealment upgrade, there's really no downside, so why not use it? 

Damage is damage, why ignore virtually free resistance to one type, even if it isn't the primary one.

[SIMP]
Members
1,214 posts

Just FYI...

They are called officially called 'Unique Upgrades'. Because even WG acknowledges that they are far from 'legendary'.

• Funny 1

[JASH]
Members
3,681 posts
10,060 battles
51 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

This is true. However, if you didn't use the concealment upgrade, there's really no downside, so why not use it? 

Damage is damage, why ignore virtually free resistance to one type, even if it isn't the primary one.

Not exactly, as far as Repair Party is concerned. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Repair_Party

Edited by MrKilmister

[CLAWS]
Beta Testers
105 posts
8,211 battles

I've been playing my UU hindy with a full DOT reduction build. It's a rough change if you're running concealment, but gets fun.

With the change of CVs to a DOT based class, I've enjoyed the ability to largely ignore their attacks

Members
22,334 posts
5,780 battles
2 hours ago, MrKilmister said:

Not exactly, as far as Repair Party is concerned. 

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Consumables#Repair_Party

True, but it's still damage, it still gets you that much closer to sinking. It still has to be repaired.

By running this, I save 44k per match, because I don't need premium DC or repair.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,222 posts
17,569 battles

I think this Legendary is useless for Hindenburg.  The threat of Fire & Flood to a Cruiser is irrelevant.

1.  Flood is almost a non-factor because if you suffering any Floods, you just ate torpedoes and are basically f--ked as a Cruiser.  You don't have Battleship HP to absorb such high alpha damage and you lack Battleship TDS to reduce the damage.  You're f--ked and Floods are the least of your concerns.

2.  Fire is not a critical concern on normal Cruisers.

3.  The real killer is AP, specifically Battleship AP and this Legendary of course doesn't protect against it.  Never stopped my Montana shells from making short work of them.

4.  It goes in Slot 5, replacing CSM1.

If this upgrade was for GK instead, then maybe we got something to go on here, but the buffs it provides for a Cruiser is IMO, worthless.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,071 posts
8,073 battles
5 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Who said anything about dying to fires? Fires may, for example, be the first 10k HP you lose, but with the upgrade, that's like 9k HP you won't lose, and you can save your repair for modules.

I think it mainly depends on whether or you use the concealment or rudder shift upgrade.

The thing is that fire damage is 100% repairable with repair part.

Given that the Hindenburg has up to 5 of them, it's very likely that you will end up being able to fully utilize them even without the legendary upgrade.

I guess if you don't run Superintendent, premium repair party, or the 20% repair flag, the legendary upgrade would be a decent choice.

Members
22,334 posts
5,780 battles
1 hour ago, enderland07 said:

The thing is that fire damage is 100% repairable with repair part.

Given that the Hindenburg has up to 5 of them, it's very likely that you will end up being able to fully utilize them even without the legendary upgrade.

I guess if you don't run Superintendent, premium repair party, or the 20% repair flag, the legendary upgrade would be a decent choice.

Fire is 100% repairable, and CVs get unlimited planes.

Those are both technically true, but time constraints put practical limits on them.

And no, I don't run SI, or prem. repair, (or DC, don't need it) but I do run the +20% repair signal.

If I had to give up something substantial for it, I wouldn't use it, but since I don't, might as well use it.

[-GPF-]
Members
768 posts
4,099 battles

(It's worth it)

I also never thought this video would ever be relevent... :Smile_veryhappy:

[NGAGE]
Members
3,071 posts
8,073 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

Fire is 100% repairable, and CVs get unlimited planes.

Those are both technically true, but time constraints put practical limits on them.

And no, I don't run SI, or prem. repair, (or DC, don't need it) but I do run the +20% repair signal.

If I had to give up something substantial for it, I wouldn't use it, but since I don't, might as well use it.

I mean, this is basically why the legendary upgrade is ok for your situation. But it doesn't make it good overall.

If you are running SI, premium consumables (both DCP and repair party), and the 20% flag... this upgrade is really useless. Giving up concealment in those cases for nominal benefit isn't really worthwhile at all.