You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
syp_twiz

Changing who gets awarded a "sunk"

66 comments in this topic

[NAVAL]
[NAVAL]
Members
54 posts
4,691 battles

This has been bothering me and several others.. you can do tons of damage to a ship and get tore to pieces, to have someone else shoot from behind an island and take your kill. It's total nonsense. The correct way would be whoever does the most damage to a ship gets the kill, and 2nd most damage would get a kill assist. Tired of doing missions etc where you need ships sunk to only have them stolen away. can we go to kill / kill assist like EVERY PLANE GAME in the world has? 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 4
  • Boring 6
  • Bad 7

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts

Ah, another 'kill stealer' thread in disguise.

You get credits and XP for all damage you do.  Sometimes you get the last shot, and sometimes you don't.

Over time it will balance out. I've gotten kill ribbons for ships that I set fire to at 20% and didn't shoot at again, just because rng decided my fire tick right after someone else citadeled the target was the last bit of hp.  I've had ships that I did 90% of the damage to end up on someone else's.  Everyone contributes.

• Cool 5

[SALVO]
Members
19,927 posts
19,892 battles
13 minutes ago, syp_twiz said:

This has been bothering me and several others.. you can do tons of damage to a ship and get tore to pieces, to have someone else shoot from behind an island and take your kill. It's total nonsense. The correct way would be whoever does the most damage to a ship gets the kill, and 2nd most damage would get a kill assist. Tired of doing missions etc where you need ships sunk to only have them stolen away. can we go to kill / kill assist like EVERY PLANE GAME in the world has? 

No.

If you didn't get the kill shot, then you don't deserve credit for the kill.  The "kill assist" you want is called "damage".  Daaaaaaaaaammmmmmaaaaaage.

Edited by Crucis
  • Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[ODIN]
Members
1,312 posts
3,206 battles

Damage gets awarded appropriately. "Sunk" is a separate thing- another word for "last hit."

[WOLF7]
Members
11,334 posts
1 minute ago, mavfin87 said:

Ah, another 'kill stealer' thread in disguise.

You get credits and XP for all damage you do.  Sometimes you get the last shot, and sometimes you don't.

Over time it will balance out. I've gotten kill ribbons for ships that I set fire to at 20% and didn't shoot at again, just because rng decided my fire tick right after someone else citadeled the target was the last bit of hp.  I've had ships that I did 90% of the damage to end up on someone else's.  Everyone contributes.

This^

This isn't an FPS, and kills are not the primary reward driver.

[YORHA]
Members
4,006 posts
6,966 battles

Then perhaps WG should stop making missions that reward only kills?

Edited by JCC45
  • Cool 5
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 2

[SYN]
Members
15,265 posts
11,945 battles

I would be glad my team actually sunk something on the enemy team, instead of trying to massacre all the sharks swimming around the area.

• Funny 1

[WOLF2]
Members
498 posts
12,841 battles

There is no such thing in this game as a “kill steal”.  It’s a TEAM game.  Your objective is to destroy the enemy TEAM.  A sunk red ship can no longer fire at you or your teammates.  XP and credits are doled out based on the percentage of damage done to sunk ships....not who killed it.  If you do 105k damage to a Grosser Kurfürst and someone else nicks him with a secondary and gets the kill, you’re going to get about 99.5% of the XP and credits for that kill.  The only real thing you’re missing is a red ribbon.

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

I would be glad my team actually sunk something on the enemy team, instead of trying to massacre all the sharks swimming around the area.

But someone has to think of the swimmers! :Smile_hiding:

Members
3,914 posts
8,376 battles

But, but... how else are those BBs floating way back and lobbing misses most of battle going to get any kills? Be fair man.

• Funny 2

[-BMV-]
Members
310 posts
15,216 battles

A Kill Steal thread huh..... Ok, listen here, who kills the ship is not important, what's important is that a sunk red ship is one less problem YOUR TEAM has to deal with. You play to support your team and win the battle, not to see who has the highest kill score. This isn't Fortnite or Apex. The kill itself is important, who did it, its not.

Have a nice day mate.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,186 posts
10,885 battles

Did you cause the last point of damage? If yes you deserve to kill and if no you do not, there is no kill stealing only kill securing. Besides you make more experience causing lots of damage to a ship than someone doing just a little and getting the kill. You see it all the time in the results where someone gets a Kraken and comes in behind people with few and even no kills.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,417 posts
15,814 battles

Kills are not the main determinant of rewards. The faster the enemy ship's weaponry is off the map, the better- especially since a ship with 1 HP has full firepower and may be benefiting from AR. 

[O_O]
Members
5,001 posts
11,217 battles

Except for the little "sunk" ribbon, the "Kraken" award, and potential missions requiring kills, getting the kill is pretty worthless.  From everything I have read and experienced, securing the kill nets you very little (if any) XP.

When I was much newer to the game I cared about who got credit for the kill.  Those days are gone.  I am much more interested in helping my team get the win, finishing 1st place on my team, earning "Confederate" or "High Caliber", etc. 

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,301 posts
15,025 battles

@syp_twiz Often complained about. Your change often suggested and denied every time.

I suggest that you lurk about and pick off enemy ships that team mates have worked so hard at damaging! Rack up those Kill Ribbons and very little XP!

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
2,878 posts
21,374 battles
1 hour ago, RumpledSteelskins said:

XP and credits are doled out based on the percentage of damage done to sunk ships....not who killed it.  If you do 105k damage to a Grosser Kurfürst and someone else nicks him with a secondary and gets the kill, you’re going to get about 99.5% of the XP and credits for that kill

(GRAMMER NAZI ALERT):

I (& everybody else) knows what you're trying to say here but your worded it to say there's no XP & credits doled out unless a ship is sunk (sorry...I'm not usually "that guy"...but I can be "that guy" at times).

I do believe I read (on the wiki maybe) that kill shots are worth 15% of a ship XP/credits/(or both...it may have just been credits though)...but it is an "additional 15% on top of the 100%...so your 99.5% of the basic XP & credits is accurate but it would be 99.5% of 115% of the overall XP & creds payed out on that ship...but of course that only applies to sunk ships.

13 minutes ago, CAPTMUDDXX said:

I suggest that you lurk about and pick off enemy ships that team mates have worked so hard at damaging! Rack up those Kill Ribbons and very little XP! 

I guess I'm the only person that can read between the lines of this rant & what it's really about (Wall of Valor/Hall of Fame points) because I have had about 80 games now where I've gotten around 135-160k damage (not enough for high caliber of course & not spread out between 6 ships for confederate), have taken 1st or 2nd on the team & the team loses & the reason why is every time I look at the mini map 6 ships are camped behind an island just waiting to duck out & "secure" the kill while I'm single handedly brawling against 4 ships at once.

In the end...zero points for me & a victory's worth of points for the ship 4th from the bottom on the team (the quick cruiser that was camped w/the BBs & slow cruisers in those 6 ships) that "secured" 4 of the kills I took 90% of life off of. He may not be progressing on the daily grinds as fast as me but he sure is racking up his tokens a lot quicker than me.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WDS]
Members
1,470 posts
8,213 battles
1 hour ago, JCC45 said:

Then perhaps WG should stop making missions that reward only kills?

What missions are those that require only kills are there really any ? I only see that for maybe one task for a campaign here and there not enough to make people crazy for kills .

I understand the feeling when you lose the kill it sucks who doesn't love the kerblink and red ribbon popping up but its winning I like best . I'm not too good at it but its what I want more than kills so as long as the ship is sunk I don't get too upset.. 

Beta Testers
1,518 posts
9,458 battles
2 hours ago, syp_twiz said:

The correct way to deal with it is not to care.

[WOLFC]
Members
1,106 posts
8,600 battles
22 minutes ago, clammboy said:

What missions are those that require only kills are there really any ? I only see that for maybe one task for a campaign here and there not enough to make people crazy for kills .

I agree in principle that in a team game there would be no kill steals ... the objective is to beat the opposing team. Not all members of the "team" may agree. 

But WG does put out key incentives for kills versus damage all the time ... the latest being the current event.

Screenshot_1.jpg.ea98241699c15a2fecc7184170858d06.jpg

It's surprising how many time members of my "team" have fired on me during this event for "securing" a kill.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,149 posts
7,698 battles
2 hours ago, Pytheas said:

nah

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
40 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

(GRAMMER NAZI ALERT):

I hope that's intentional irony...?  

(i.e. it's Grammar...)

[WDS]
Members
1,470 posts
8,213 battles

16 minutes ago, DocWalker said:

I agree in principle that in a team game there would be no kill steals ... the objective is to beat the opposing team. Not all members of the "team" may agree. 

But WG does put out key incentives for kills versus damage all the time ... the latest being the current event.

Screenshot_1.jpg.ea98241699c15a2fecc7184170858d06.jpg

It's surprising how many time members of my "team" have fired on me during this event for "securing" a kill.

Isn't that for the glory event they have lots of different things popping up . I don't know what to say it's pretty hard to play the game were you need a win for the event first then still be able to sneak around and be able to put yourself in position to try and steal a kill you cant really blame that on WG  . I just cant see people getting upset about a kill if they win I guess I could be wrong but that's pretty petty .

[-TDF-]
Beta Testers
598 posts
3,855 battles

Nothing more fun then playing a Mino and landing one volley on low HP BB to secure that kill... :cap_haloween: