Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Prkl8r

Concealment means less than ever, should ships balanced around it be rebalanced?

7 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
574 posts
1,532 battles

With the CV rework, way more people play CV now so you almost never have games without them. This means that most ships are almost always spotted, so concealment is less useful than it's ever been. 

My question is, do you think that ships balanced around concealment should be rebalanced? 

I know specifically the high concealment trait on BBs is completely silly now. The whole RN line was built around this trait, having extremely low HP with the idea that they would be able to drop off after firing. It no longer works that way 70% of the time.

Many CLs are also effected by this in similar way. Hiding behind an island is no longer going to keep you from being spotted many times, which most of these ships heavily rely on.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

  • Bad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
388
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
10,900 battles
34 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

With the CV rework, way more people play CV now so you almost never have games without them. This means that most ships are almost always spotted, so concealment is less useful than it's ever been. 

My question is, do you think that ships balanced around concealment should be rebalanced? 

I know specifically the high concealment trait on BBs is completely silly now. The whole RN line was built around this trait, having extremely low HP with the idea that they would be able to drop off after firing. It no longer works that way 70% of the time.

Many CLs are also effected by this in similar way. Hiding behind an island is no longer going to keep you from being spotted many times, which most of these ships heavily rely on.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

The RN BB line wasn't built around concealment, it was built around the insane heals. I think the idea was it would take the same amount of damage to kill a RN battleship as compared to any other BB, it's just more of that durability came from the RN super-heals. They're easier to wreck with AP damage, and are really resistant to HE spam and fires (fire damage is a % of the targets health, and if fully repairable, plus a super-heal). They were built to counter HE spamming cruisers.

As far as CL's, if you're hiding behind low islands and spamming HE, it might have become a little worse for you. Still works for cruisers with high floaty shell arcs, they just have to find a taller island, and it's no longer as perfectly safe as it was before (good for everyone else who didn't like getting burned to the waterline by invisible ships) but it's still doable.

If those CL's have high velocity, flatter trajectory guns, you probably have play things differently, using islands differently (blocking part of the map from shooting you while you fire at something else) or hang back just in front of, or just behind the battleships, depending on gun range, and use your AA to protect the BB's, and either hit the planes on the way in, or after they make their pass on the way out.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
913
[5D5]
Members
2,659 posts
16,067 battles

I think it's the other way, concealment is more important because once you kill the planes then you can reduce your detection quicker with a concealment build.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,733
[SQUAD]
Members
7,985 posts
8,369 battles
45 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

 

I know specifically the high concealment trait on BBs is completely silly now.

Every single BB I have, which is virtually all of them, would like a word with you.

 

If you're always spotted, it isn't the CV, it's you being where you shouldn't be, and enabling the red team to keep you spotted. CE is still one of the, if not the, most OP captains skills we can take. Learn to abuse the line of your detection, popping across it as needed to commit sweet murder, and to save your own self from being removed from this mortal coil.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
574 posts
1,532 battles
17 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

The RN BB line wasn't built around concealment, it was built around the insane heals. I think the idea was it would take the same amount of damage to kill a RN battleship as compared to any other BB, it's just more of that durability came from the RN super-heals. They're easier to wreck with AP damage, and are really resistant to HE spam and fires (fire damage is a % of the targets health, and if fully repairable, plus a super-heal). They were built to counter HE spamming cruisers.

As far as CL's, if you're hiding behind low islands and spamming HE, it might have become a little worse for you. Still works for cruisers with high floaty shell arcs, they just have to find a taller island, and it's no longer as perfectly safe as it was before (good for everyone else who didn't like getting burned to the waterline by invisible ships) but it's still doable.

If those CL's have high velocity, flatter trajectory guns, you probably have play things differently, using islands differently (blocking part of the map from shooting you while you fire at something else) or hang back just in front of, or just behind the battleships, depending on gun range, and use your AA to protect the BB's, and either hit the planes on the way in, or after they make their pass on the way out.

Except only the RN BB T9 and 10 have the super heal, while all of them have extremely low HP and high concealment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
183
[USFF]
Members
314 posts
6,161 battles
51 minutes ago, Prkl8r said:

With the CV rework, way more people play CV now so you almost never have games without them. This means that most ships are almost always spotted, so concealment is less useful than it's ever been. 

My question is, do you think that ships balanced around concealment should be rebalanced? 

I know specifically the high concealment trait on BBs is completely silly now. The whole RN line was built around this trait, having extremely low HP with the idea that they would be able to drop off after firing. It no longer works that way 70% of the time.

Many CLs are also effected by this in similar way. Hiding behind an island is no longer going to keep you from being spotted many times, which most of these ships heavily rely on.

What are other people's thoughts on this?

I always thought concealment was too valuable in the game anyway. I was really miffed at a game where a ship the size of a small city has lower detection than some cruisers. With CVs around the concealment skill shouldn’t cost 4 skill points anymore but it is finally relegated to the importance level I think it should have always had.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[FYL]
Members
467 posts
1,958 battles
1 minute ago, Prkl8r said:

Except only the RN BB T9 and 10 have the super heal, while all of them have extremely low HP and high concealment.

The Nelson has an amazing heal as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×