You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Cereberus99

Question about MM skill disparity and playstyle

11 comments in this topic

[TIBN]
Beta Testers
99 posts
7,234 battles

I want to start off by saying this is not a rant about MM skill gaps. I know it happens that sometimes you're on the "good" side, sometimes you're on the "bad" side and sometimes you can (though very rarely) beat the overwhelming odds. What I want to know is, what do you do when faced with a lineup the resembles this:

1626819492_SuperMMblurred.thumb.jpg.a02f9ca91d0b9427c0147ae9d0262798.jpg

My reaction:
ThisisfunThisisfin.thumb.jpg.fe79cc48031db90d8ad25eceae2e9aad.jpg

When faced with this type of lineup, I don't give up, I try my best and pay attention to how the better players on the other team play and try to learn from it but I want to know what your reaction is to seeing this kind of lineup. What do you do in a match like this? Do you change your playstyle?

In this particular match, I found myself playing very close to the chest and taking less chances knowing what I was up against. It didn't affect the match in the slightest and was the only one to score a kill against the enemy team (coincidentally, the one player that is considered average). So... thoughts? What do you do?

Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles

Do what you can, stay alive, try and keep your teammates alive, and do as much damage as you can.   Pretty much what I do every game since I don't have the MM monitor to know the teams makeup.

[SYN]
Members
15,276 posts
11,961 battles

So what new thing(s) did you learn from that match?

better positioning?

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,633 posts

I don't check or pay attention to any of it.  I just play the match.

• Cool 1

[KSD]
Members
901 posts
5,279 battles

The only thing you learn from these battles is how dumb players can be and then you laugh about it in exasperation and after the battle you close the game as you cant handle more braindeadness

• Funny 1

[CK5]
Members
983 posts
8,594 battles

Yowza!  I am glad I don't run MM Monitor, because seeing that lineup would be soul crushing.  I am with others who have posted, just do the best you can and try to laugh it off.  

• Cool 1

[TIBN]
Beta Testers
99 posts
7,234 battles
31 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

So what new thing(s) did you learn from that match?

better positioning?

I saw how my team played and positioned themselves vs how the enemy team positioned themselves. Mine stacked up into one ball behind the cap point at the far end. I can't say I learned much but I had to appreciate how the enemy DD kept me spotted as I was retreating on my side so that his mates could continue to fire from behind an island.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,427 posts
15,836 battles

Stop using the monitor. We get enough godlike insight into enemy ship info as it is. 

I would prefer that the enemy team roster in MM was blank until the enemy ships are spotted after the game starts. Once any ship is spotted, its information in MM appears. Fog of war, and all that. 

I preferred the old MM that could have different numbers of each ship class; If I wanted perfect mirror MM, I would play co-op. I also wouldnt object to the elimination of the HP bar. 

[SYJ]
Members
155 posts
8,753 battles

Heck does one even need a Matchmaker Monitor?
In most games theses days, two or three minutes in, one look at the mini map and the team is making a run for a 1 or 10 line and ignoring a flank or objectives completely. 

It does not take a rocket scientist to figure the out come of that.

♦ So accept the fact you already lost.

♦ Farm some damage / kills / achievements / credits / whatever else

♦ Learn from that and move on to the next match

♦ The better your stats are more ships you are expected to "Tow to victory in excess of your DWT" (Dead Weight Tonnage refers to ships displacement, or in this case some of the usefulness of your teammates)

♦ IF it get more then a 10 game loosing streak, maybe it is time to ALT+F4 and do something else.

Edited by Sammy_Small

[KSD]
Members
901 posts
5,279 battles
6 hours ago, Cereberus99 said:

I saw how my team played and positioned themselves vs how the enemy team positioned themselves. Mine stacked up into one ball behind the cap point at the far end. I can't say I learned much but I had to appreciate how the enemy DD kept me spotted as I was retreating on my side so that his mates could continue to fire from behind an island.

Exactly my point.

You will only be amazed by the foreheadedness of some players at tier 10.