You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
general_D_H_Chun

Super not toxic extremely constructive list of every screwup Wargaming has ever made with CVs since their induction, in chronological order

16 comments in this topic

[MIA-P]
Members
84 posts
4,788 battles

This is a timeline of Wargaming's mistakes, so, it'll be long

In case you forgot the glorious history of this majestic and completely balanced class, as well as the extremely functional and highly competent balance team responsible since day one, I present, "CV rework: the Entire Saga"

Correct me if I'm wrong

2015-2016, aka the "wth damage" year

Wargaming induces the class- within the first week players acheive damage values of 300k or more

Hosho and Langley have the strike of their higher tier counterparts

Midway is the primary culprit with 12 torpedoes and 12 dive bombers- Wargaming promises to fix it without nerfing it into obscurity

Wargaming nerfs Midway into obscurity

Playerbase complains about Midway's dive bombers lacking alpha

Dive bomber alpha upgraded to 14.5k per bomb. For 21 bombs. (Don't worry, Midway's going to get more hilarious later)

AA buffs and fighter changes sometime around here

2017- the year of the how-do-you-[edited]-up-a-class-so-spectacularly-in-one-year

HERE WE GO FELLAS

people complain about sealclubbing (?) in lower tier play. You know, because

Hosho and Langley have the strike of their higher tier counterparts

Wargaming: Have no fear

Wargaming: *removes any opportunity to learn basic CV gameplay at lower tiers rather than just fixing the god awful alpha*

(Pay attention to moments like this- the balance team shooting themselves in the foot is going to be a trend here)

In a completely unexpected turn of events, proficiency in strafes and manual drops at higher tiers decreases significantly

Wargaming, in a stroke of unrivaled brilliance, releases the first premium carrier! 

Meet strafe-pan, why-pan, or this-is-going-to-be-crap-in-the-rework-later-pan! Saipan has tier 9 planes, at tier 7! Saipan doesn't lose planes in the exit-strafe! Saipan is the only USN CV that can cross drop right now! Brilliant, Sergei! Promotion for you! We'll receive plenty of fat western dollars from this!

Complaints about strike power being too strong at lower tiers and strafes being too unforgiving have finally reached Wargaming's ears! To fix these prevalent issues, Wargaming finally comes about and reduces the torpedo alpha at lower tiers, while returning manual drop to t4 and 5. Furthermore, strafes cannot wipe entire squads now. I can't criticize this choice.

Just Kidding! Wargaming releases another two t10 CVs!

Meet Kaga! Kaga has the torpedo alpha strike of the Hakuryu! And she still has better fighter compliments than the Ranger!

Speaking of fighter compliment, we get Enterprise! Enterprise has 12 fighters- that's more than any other in the game right now! And her strike's still better than Lexington!

Other notable events:

-Graf Zeppelin (15 torpedoes initial version), USN CV revamp, AP dive bombers! (oh boy, this is getting good)

Skipping all that stuff in between, we find ourselves at the end of 2018, just in time for the CV rework! Why do we need a rework, you ask?

Because of all those problems that arose as a problem of the gameplay, and not something we introduced ourselves through our utterly pathetic ability to balance a class! Here, Sergei's back! And his decision-making skills have undoubtably become much better since 2016!

1. AP DBs are still a thing

2. HE DBs still 15k you, but he comes back for three more strikes

3. wait, there's a key I can just press to avoid facing any consequences for my poor play? Cool!

4. aw, CVs are kinda (260k average damage) broken. Let's scapegoat the Hakuryu, no, the entire IJN tree!

5. flood chance is nerfed for all the IJN CVs, torpedo speed for Hakuryu is nerfed to utter crap, on top of this, the flooding mechanic itself is changed so poor usage of repair party can't even be punished! 

6. People find out the Midway's dive bombers are actually lowkey ridiculous

7. high precision nerf to Midway's....torpedo bombers

8. No fear! High precision nerf to CV...rockets.

And that brings us to now! Where Wargaming is now desperately adding countdown timers to ships we already paid for! That about sums up this rework! Poor decisions, motivated by more poor decisions! 

Apologies to the long text, but I think I got the history right! If someone wants to correct me, go ahead!

• Cool 8
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 1

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,593 posts
8,217 battles

a worthwhile task OP, writing up the history of the CV saga, but so much is missing. CVs in WOWS alpha and beta, then jumping forwards, Saipan, the full GZ saga, the late 2017 Lexington (and generally speaking USN CV) revision), the full rework saga from announcement, past betas and verious PTS, launch and ongoing "tweaks". I mention only  small number among many stories of the CV in WOWS, you have your work cut out. Plenty to research and add to your list.

[90THB]
Members
1,059 posts
9,552 battles

I don't know if you want to add it, but Kitakame, and the legit early torp soup days. Also during WOWS development and initial marketing, we WOTers were told these games would have a unified economy. Of course, that never happened.

[BS]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,534 posts
4,059 battles
4 minutes ago, Pytheas said:

I don't know if you want to add it, but Kitakame, and the legit early torp soup days. Also during WOWS development and initial marketing, we WOTers were told these games would have a unified economy. Of course, that never happened.

WG never said we would have a unified economy. That was players wishing they would and spreading rumors. Anyone with a shred of sense would have known that was never gonna happen.

[KSD]
Members
896 posts
5,279 battles

Huh whats this?

WG shooting themselves in the foot and refusing to listen to delete CVs

Meh thats getting kinda old.

• Cool 1

[ARP2]
Members
1,362 posts
3,637 battles

That list misses alot of the nerfs CVs endured.  In about 4 years of playing, the only buff i can remember was the captain skills changes.  It made air superiority easier to get, and moved basic fire training to a 3 point skill, so noone took it as thier go to tier 1 skill anymore.

Anyone calling the strafing changes a "buff" is seriously misguided.  That was one of the many nails in the CV coffin. 

Wargaming nerfed CVs into the ground then wondered why no one played them, despite repeated attempts by the CV community to do something about it.  I guess, ultimately, they did do something.  Time will tell whether it was the right decision or not.  Given how many more you encounter these days, im thinking they got it right.  It annoys me to say that since i really liked the RTS style.

[IXM]
Members
334 posts
2,039 battles

WG is pretty bad, but honestly, can you name a major gaming company that isn't these days?

Edited by Vector03

[WOLF1]
Members
2,537 posts
2 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

WG is pretty bad, but honestly, can you name a major gaming company that isn't these days?

WG is quite technically savvy, did a great job building the game

but, they seriously don't know how to run a successful business, how to attract and keep customers, and keep them happy, they need to hire good business manager, IT and gaming folks just don't cut it

[HYDRO]
Members
2,800 posts
4,579 battles
56 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

a worthwhile task OP, writing up the history of the CV saga, but so much is missing. CVs in WOWS alpha and beta, then jumping forwards, Saipan, the full GZ saga, the late 2017 Lexington (and generally speaking USN CV) revision), the full rework saga from announcement, past betas and verious PTS, launch and ongoing "tweaks". I mention only  small number among many stories of the CV in WOWS, you have your work cut out. Plenty to research and add to your list.

My favorite is probably the saga of the "balance by player committee  of GZ". Still laugh about it :Smile_hiding:

Members
5,353 posts
6,094 battles
13 minutes ago, Vector03 said:

Digital Extremes.

[LHG]
Members
1,484 posts
5,953 battles

I'm amazed that USN HE bombs started as one of the worst strike planes to become one of the best.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,593 posts
8,217 battles
13 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

My favorite is probably the saga of the "balance by player committee  of GZ". Still laugh about it :Smile_hiding:

which was in truth, "balance by WG devs, then blame those who provided feedback", which included STs, CCs, and of course GZ owners. Which was quite unforgiveable, not least because most people swallowed the excuse./

• Funny 1

[SBS]
Members
3,782 posts
2,408 battles
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

This is just the introduction.  The OP will post a link when the three volume book set is available for sale.

• Boring 1

[USFF]
Members
319 posts
6,178 battles

Says a lot about the times when you have to put “super not toxic and constructive” in the title just to get people to read it. 

• Cool 1

Members
114 posts
5,338 battles
1 hour ago, general_D_H_Chun said:

And that brings us to now! Where Wargaming is now desperately adding countdown timers to ships we already paid for! 

Typical bait and switch sales tactic,sell polished turd and switch it for an unpolished one. suck it up and get used to it, its WGs way

I purchased a AA monster and now it has little baby fangs, oh well

• Cool 1