Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Elisabeth

I wish the high tier game was more... fun.

60 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

3,540
[KNMSU]
Members
5,302 posts
5,541 battles

Why is it that the high tiers devolve into this rampantly campy, sluggish snipe-fest? I found myself berating some GroBer for charging in head-first towards the enemy team earlier today when it suddenly occured to me that I would have lauded similar aggression at, say, tier 6.

For some reason, it seems like people in the lower tiers properly acknowledge that this is just a game, and there's nothing really at stake... whereas another crowd (even, potentially, the same crowd) flips this entire notion on its head once you go tiers 8+. Here, the mood is angsty, sluggish, and often almost celebratory - in a brooding, goth, "whatever, man" manner - of the people who hang back 15 km outside the cap and sling shells into the abyss.

I really enjoy a lot of the ships at the cap, but the gameplay is almost soul-sucking, it's so plodding and pissy. Is there anything Wargaming could do to make it less like this?

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth
  • Cool 10
  • Boring 2
  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
683 posts
12,823 battles

You have ships that can shoot up to 25 km and accurately.

You are swimming in "I win" gimmicks.

Most people are sheep.

This translates into the dun game you have today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,084 posts
2,399 battles

Shorter TTK tends to stifle aggression rather than promote it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
826
[STAR]
Members
3,303 posts
8,120 battles

In high tiers, the offensive systems outscale defensive systems, punishment is much higher in high tiers. Positioning is much more important and this leads to a slower gameplay. One mistake and you are dead. So players play slowly to not makes those mistakes. 

 

The currenct CV meta just make it all worse as CVs hard counter agressive plays better than any other ship and the only defense agaisnt CVs themselves are those blobs/lemming trains which makes everything worse.

 

Personally i dont mid this as this makes soem different gameplay across the tiers, want something more strategic you go to high tiers, want something more chaotic go to lower tiers, IMO its nice to have this.

Edited by Xlap
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58
[S_C_N]
Beta Testers
222 posts
1,245 battles

Expensive repairs + Fake stats farmers = bad games. It's something WG can't fix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,450
[SYN]
Members
15,276 posts
11,961 battles

yeah, it's because there's a lot of accurate firepower to punish even the slightest mistakes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,084 posts
2,399 battles
2 minutes ago, PrinzEugen85 said:

Expensive repairs + Fake stats farmers = bad games. It's something WG can't fix.

I thought you paid full cost regardless of whether your ship is damaged/sunk or totally fine after a match?

Edited by Krupp_Sabot

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles

While I have had my issues at high tier of late - I still find lower tiers to be far more soul sucking. At tier VI games I have had recently - I have to teach the game while fighting and people who don't seem to know better argue that what you say is incorrect.  At least at tier 8 on up I have to do a lot less of that.  Though I will say this morning I had to tell someone that they needed to use the minimap to see that no one was following the 'plan' and they were going alone in a DD to a cap.  Then informed them that they knew they were going alone as noted by their chat.  They then stated "I should have gone A or C?" and several of us replied - "Yes" at a high tier game.  Rather funny since Notser just had a video on not doing exactly that (solo to a cap at the beginning of a game).

Edited by CylonRed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,763 posts
11,136 battles

WG business model these days is to push as many people as possible to play tier 10 battles. This is why so many missions reward t10 battles more than the rest and why there are missions for clan members only (clans play t10 ships). So many premium t9 and t10 ships released etc. The high tiers cost the most to play when it comes to repairs and it's much harder to come out ahead and hoard credits. The hope is that many players will get frustrated and buy premium accounts to help with credits but to also help them grind ships to T10 quicker. 
I think WG has lost touch with many of it's player base. The reason t10 battles aren't fun is a combination of things: It's full of players who  rushed to grind as many T10 ships as possible without bothering to spend the time to learn how to play them, the new CV rework is ridiculous (enough said), radar spam, HE spam, causing many to just hide and camp.
It's WOT all over again.  

Edited by STINKWEED_
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,540
[KNMSU]
Members
5,302 posts
5,541 battles
11 minutes ago, CylonRed said:

While I have had my issues at high tier of late - I still find lower tiers to be far more soul sucking. At tier VI games I have had recently - I have to teach the game while fighting and people who don't seem to know better argue that what you say is incorrect.

I dunno, there are some absolutely atrocious people at tier 10, too. We were winning a match last night, up 7-4 with about 6 minutes left, and managed to blow it all due to a Harekaze who refused to shoot or torpedo the entire battle (he literally fired like 3 times), and Montana with a <40% overall WR. The point being, tier 10 isn't about quality anymore - it's as much a slice of the skill pool as is, say, tier 4.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,375 posts
7,091 battles
8 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I dunno, there are some absolutely atrocious people at tier 10, too. We were winning a match last night, up 7-4 with about 6 minutes left, and managed to blow it all due to a Harekaze who refused to shoot or torpedo the entire battle (he literally fired like 3 times), and Montana with a <40% overall WR. The point being, tier 10 isn't about quality anymore - it's as much a slice of the skill pool as is, say, tier 4.

I hear ya - like I said I have had my own issues at high tier - I would generally say because of Spring Break as that is when it seemed to happen for me at least.  I have had many more games at high tier that were less like recent games but all of the lower tier games I have played have been like I described them.  Lower tier games where you can blindly rush in and get away with it a chunk of the time, is far more frustrating for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,061
[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
56 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Why is it that the high tiers devolve into this rampantly campy, sluggish snipe-fest? I found myself berating some GroBer for charging in head-first towards the enemy team earlier today when it suddenly occured to me that I would have lauded similar aggression at, say, tier 6.

For some reason, it seems like people in the lower tiers properly acknowledge that this is just a game, and there's nothing really at stake... whereas another crowd (even, potentially, the same crowd) flips this entire notion on its head once you go tiers 8+. Here, the mood is angsty, sluggish, and often almost celebratory - in a brooding, goth, "whatever, man" manner - of the people who hang back 15 km outside the cap and sling shells into the abyss.

I really enjoy a lot of the ships at the cap, but the gameplay is almost soul-sucking, it's so plodding and pissy. Is there anything Wargaming could do to make it less like this?

I'm sorry, but the moment that people say "just a game" in the context you've used it in, is the moment that I largely stop caring what they have to say, because it tells me that they're not here to play to win.  It tells me that they're selfish so and so's who don't care about their team and only care about themselves.  If all you care about is yourself, go play a single player game and stop inflicting your selfishness on those who are actually trying to win (even if they're not necessarily all the good).

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,061
[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
12 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

I dunno, there are some absolutely atrocious people at tier 10, too. We were winning a match last night, up 7-4 with about 6 minutes left, and managed to blow it all due to a Harekaze who refused to shoot or torpedo the entire battle (he literally fired like 3 times), and Montana with a <40% overall WR. The point being, tier 10 isn't about quality anymore - it's as much a slice of the skill pool as is, say, tier 4.

So, exactly why do you care?  After all, you've already said that it's "just a game", meaning that you don't care about winning and playing to win.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
500
[TF-62]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,498 posts
4,145 battles

I find tier 10 to be difficult for a certain number of reasons. Mainly the value of DPM over anything else. Minotaur, Worcester, Harugumo, Des Moines, anything that can blanket an area with shells in instantly better than most things you can put to field. I find that very frustrating. I prefer ships that reward good aim and I am constantly foiled by people who can just fire incessantly from most ranges and cause a lot of problems. 

As much as I love my Montana, my Republique, my Conqueror, even my Moskva, I cannot compete with the amount of fire these other ships can spit out. As a BB main, I find the tier 4-7 experience to be a purer format than tier 10 entirely. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,084 posts
2,399 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

So, exactly why do you care?  After all, you've already said that it's "just a game", meaning that you don't care about winning and playing to win.

I think in the context elizabeth is using "its just a game" means "Why are people so afraid or dieing/being damaged it's just a game man up". Not "who cares if we win or lose im gonna play my way it's just a game".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
249
[KNCOL]
Members
360 posts
1,374 battles

I love how offended people get when you say it's just a game. It makes no sense at just seems sad

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
500
[TF-62]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,498 posts
4,145 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

you've already said that it's "just a game", meaning that you don't care about winning and playing to win.

A healthy understanding that you are sitting in front of a box with some silicon and a cable that uses specific electricity to deliver data to it in the format of pixels shaped as ships firing pixels shaped like shells should be entirely separate from your desire to be a good player on a winning team. 

I, too, think its just a game, because it is. At the end of the day I can step away from my silicon box and cable and enjoy the outside world, and it has absolutely no bearing on how much effort I put into winning, and how much I try to improve. Think of me what you will, but trying to force a stronger sense of what a game is on people will drive them away rather than bring them to your side. 

It's just a game. It really is. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,061
[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
Just now, Sledgehammer427 said:

A healthy understanding that you are sitting in front of a box with some silicon and a cable that uses specific electricity to deliver data to it in the format of pixels shaped as ships firing pixels shaped like shells should be entirely separate from your desire to be a good player on a winning team. 

I, too, think its just a game, because it is. At the end of the day I can step away from my silicon box and cable and enjoy the outside world, and it has absolutely no bearing on how much effort I put into winning, and how much I try to improve. Think of me what you will, but trying to force a stronger sense of what a game is on people will drive them away rather than bring them to your side. 

It's just a game. It really is. 

No, when you've put a lot of time and money into something like this, it becomes a hobby, perhaps even a passion, not "just a game".  Nobody puts hundreds or thousands of dollars into "just a game" (unless they're very, very wealthy and have LOTS of disposable income).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,061
[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
3 minutes ago, Koogus said:

I love how offended people get when you say it's just a game. It makes no sense at just seems sad

No, what's sad is how pathetic people have to be to not understand the difference between "just a game" and a true hobby or a passion.

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
261
[IXM]
Members
334 posts
2,039 battles

I think someone earlier said this: it's basically WoT all over again, except worse in my opinion. CVs are far worse than arty could ever be, the game is slower, the odds of fighting back and winning against 4-6 enemies are far lower than in WoT. To me that's all it will ever be, a less fun version of WoT on water. If WG didn't power creep and gimmick their games to the max, high tiers would be a lot more enjoyable.

Edited by Vector03
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
500
[TF-62]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,498 posts
4,145 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

No, when you've put a lot of time and money into something like this, it becomes a hobby, perhaps even a passion, not "just a game". 

I have hobbies that are games, I have hobbies that aren't. I have put a good chunk of money into Warships and Tanks and at the end of the day, It's still, a game

A game I spent money on, a game I put time into learning and doing well in, but a game nonetheless. You can have passion for the game and I would not think any less of you for it, really.
I enjoy playing it quite a bit or else I wouldn't have invested in it in the first place, but it's still a game. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
249
[KNCOL]
Members
360 posts
1,374 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

No, what's sad is how pathetic people have to be to not understand the difference between "just a game" and a true hobby or a passion.

So your passion is to overreact when you lose a match in a video game....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,061
[SALVO]
Members
20,008 posts
19,932 battles
7 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

I think in the context elizabeth is using "its just a game" means "Why are people so afraid or dieing/being damaged it's just a game man up". Not "who cares if we win or lose im gonna play my way it's just a game".

That's not at all how I read what he said.  I went back and reread it, and I still don't get that from it.  What I see is that he's complaining about people playing the game seriously, not taking unnecessary risks, and so on, rather than just lol-playing and not giving two effs about winning or losing.  That's what I get out of what he wrote.  And ya know something, if he did mean something else, then he should have done a better job of expressing himself so that his words said EXACTLY what he meant them to say.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
491
[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,708 posts

That's why I only play PvE with my top tier ships. I willingly eat credit loss to get into battles where I actually fight instead of spending 10 minutes waiting around for something to happen.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×