Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Avrova1904

Which battleship line would you recommend to a new player?

44 comments in this topic

Members
342 posts
6,004 battles

I didn't complete all battleship lines, just japanese, USN and german so I can't give a good advice. I've read somewhere else that the new russian battleship line is OP, I don't know how much true is that. Considering all battleship lines, which one would you pick if you were about to start this game from scratch?

[EFEWE]
Members
141 posts
7,493 battles

IJN. Imo they are the most forgiving of mistakes since you have a longer range and can avoid return fire in a sniper duel.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,324 posts
5,363 battles

Probably the Japanese or French. Solid ships in most tiers, decent speed, decent accuracy, decent tankiness, unless showing broadside which in itself is a good lesson to learn.

The Americans up until NC are too damn slow and powercreeped. And imho a newcomer might just quit the line out of frustration before they get there.

The Germans are inaccurate, and their turtleback armour scheme may teach bad habits to newcomers, like going full broadside.

The British are just weird and gimmicked to hell. They are definitely not ships for a first BB line.

[RKLES]
Members
8,919 posts
10,828 battles

A new player stariting game from Scratch the German Battleships are really good thanks to their armor allowing for close ranged fights withouteating up a lot of citadel hits.

American Battleships are pretty good, but their Citadels tend to be more vulnerable, but have nice guns and typically good AA.

Royal Navy Battleships are rather nice, armor on some of them can be a little soft, but really difficult to citadel most of them. Except Nelson which can eat citadel hits if sitting broadside to enemy.

I really love my Japanese Battleships since they hit really hard, tend to be accurate, good mobility, reasonable Armor, secondary guns, and AA. But once again like the USN they can eat citadel hits if played in inexperienced manner.

French Battleships should not be used unless you have played other Battleships and maybe some Cruisers first. Their speed and armor profiles can get a new player into trouble a little too easily. But once you have gotten experience in the game you can use them.

Russian Battleships I am not certain about yet for a new player. 

• Cool 2

Members
85 posts
400 battles

British, so you can mine salt with all the HE spam,WG doesn't think anything wrong about that mechanic after all, orditch BBs al together and go play CV and only CV and peg one helpless DD after another, cuase you know what they say the DD should stay near the main fleet for AA protection and not being able to launch torps or shoot guns cause they dont have sufficient range.

just a thought for ya

Members
1,631 posts
3,603 battles

Best bang for buck is IJN line, they teach you to angle because they are squishy broadside. Their guns are accurate and hit hard, but still punish bad aim. Their not the fastest ships but are not the slowest which means positioning is very important since you don't have the speed to run

[WOLFB]
Members
2,535 posts
10,343 battles

The IJN line IMO is better:

-it teaches you how to angle

-guns are good and pretty accurate to punish broadside

-speed is ok.

French BB are pretty special in their playstyle, German and RN will teach you bad habbit (especially RN) and USN BB are slow so it's not very enjoyable, especially when you lack map awareness.

Members
2,914 posts
3,732 battles

German. Their armor scheme is very forgiving of the mistakes new players are likely to make, and their secondaries support the aggressive play style that most new players seem to default to.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,505 posts
11,582 battles

I'd probably say the USN BB line would be the most noob friendly. they got plenty of aa and their guns are pretty accurate.:fish_book:

[WOLF7]
Members
747 posts
3,684 battles

British and French were by far the most fun and painless for me - your mileage may vary

[WOLF6]
Members
654 posts
6,057 battles

The American and French lines are best equipped to deal with the sky cancer infection in the game right now IMO .

[WORX]
Members
3,244 posts
14,670 battles

Do all BBs of all nations, its the only ship line where you're weak @ low to mid tiers.

At high tiers (tiers 8,9,10) your BB capabilities are OP strong  VS mid to low BB counterparts.

Lower tiers, other ship classes can pull the overall game load.

In higher tiers, IF your BB core outscores the red BBs... You'll win about %90 of the time.

If I were you, its not about a particular  BB nation, just pick a tier you wish to partake with the about points I noted.

So choose wisely there @Avrova1904

GL/HF

Members
313 posts
5,371 battles

I'm terrible with Battleships and found the IJN line the most forgiving. The RN has some fun ships but be warned if you are at all attached to your karma number don't take out the Conqueror. Even if you play well and don't say a word during the match you will find yourself constantly taking a hit for it. People just hate the ship on principle and will either abuse you or more frequently report you for something or other. I'm just perverse though and that just makes me want to take her out more. :Smile_playing: 

[SIDE]
Members
2,066 posts

Stalingrad is best battleship. Since you are new you might not have the gajillion steel needed to buy it.

I have all tier 10 BB’s. Each is excellent and worth the grind. Some grinds are more challenging or exhausting than others.

You prob want to enjoy yourself. Therefore, Brits or Germans for a noob. Decent gunnery, decent speed, decent protection and some interesting gimmicks  later on. Maybe French if you can get good with only 8 guns and map positioning later on.

None of them are as boring as most of US line which really boils down to 3 basic ship designs (5 slow, 2 bow on only and 1 that’s perfection). IJN arent miserable but are squishy and the Izumo will cost you your sanity.

Edited by thebigblue

[DRAH]
Members
138 posts
5,180 battles

French for sure, less squishy than the Japanese, more accurate than the Germans with better range. Faster and the shells pen better than the Brits, Faster than the US and nearly as scary for aircraft to attack.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
711 posts
5,589 battles

USN, as AA is pretty important in the new meta, and they are known for their good AA in the higher tiers.

[FML]
Members
2,450 posts
11,828 battles

I see people fretting about the German and British battleship lines teaching new players bad habits. However, if they are truly new players, it’s more important for them to be learning other things, like how to move around the map, where to go, and how to aim, rather than teaching them (the hard way) about driving broadside eating citadels. A great way to lose new players is them eating a tonne of damage whilst watching their guns to nothing back. 

That’s why I recommend German and British battleship lines to new players - they are the most forgiving, particularly at low tiers. The French are decent too. 

For example: 

• British: These are sturdy battleships that have excellent HE direct damage and high fire chance - unlike most battleships, shooting HE at things will make them go boom. Because of that, and because they have decent armour protection generally, these battleships are easy to learn: aim well, and profit. 
  • German: Much stronger armour, but wonky/inaccurate main guns - you'll mostly be shooting AP shells at enemy battleships and cruisers.  However, your battleships have good to excellent secondary battery (particularly from Tier 7) and are a defining feature of the line.  Because they are meant to be played up close to the enemy, these ships are easier to aim, take solid damage, and encourage your team to push the capture point you're currently on, helping to win games. 

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,371 posts
12,705 battles

French is what I would recommend to a newer player.  They are all around solid ships with no /glaring/ weaknesses.  They teach you not to make mistakes, while not encouraging you to do so.

Edited by crzyhawk

Members
709 posts

For a new player? IJN, it has the most good ships in the tree.  Kongo is sweet, Fuso is life, Nagato is my mistress, Amagi is sexy, Izumo is aight, and Yamato = Waifu.

[ALL41]
Members
239 posts
6,321 battles

What I haven't yet seen mentioned, is "what kind of new player are we talking about?"     If the new player has plenty of disposable income, and plans on buying many Premium battleships, that could factor into his choice of Tech Tree to pursue.      Or, does the player plan to remain "Free-to-play" and never make a purchase in the Shop?

The Premium Shop currently has:

5 each; US, Brit, IJN bb's

3 each; German, French

1 each; Italian, USSR (currently)

Members
16 posts
228 battles

100% not German BBs. From my experience at least, the wonky dispersion and fewer guns makes for very frustrating play. I think Japanese or French would be the best choices.

[SIDE]
Members
2,066 posts
16 minutes ago, ThumperD702 said:

What I haven't yet seen mentioned, is "what kind of new player are we talking about?"     If the new player has plenty of disposable income, and plans on buying many Premium battleships, that could factor into his choice of Tech Tree to pursue.      Or, does the player plan to remain "Free-to-play" and never make a purchase in the Shop?

The Premium Shop currently has:

5 each; US, Brit, IJN bb's

3 each; German, French

1 each; Italian, USSR (currently)

Brit, German or French lines. This is a new guy looking for a good time. Keep it simple fellas.

For non-Tier 8 non-Tier 8 non-Tier 8 non-Tier 8 non-Tier 8 non-Tier 8 and, oh yeah, make sure it’s absolutely *not* Tier 8 premium BB fun...

nelson, scharnhorst and whatever mid tier frenchie is available

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,053 posts
4,926 battles

I'd say that the Germans are the most forgiving, but if you want to teach good habits go with the Japanese, maybe the US.

German battleships have, of course, that excellent armor and those great secondaries to help ward off dev strikes and lolibotes. They're not accurate at range, but for a player that doesn't have good aim that can actually work in their favor. They can't rely on landing lots of shells at range consistently, but if you spam HE over roughly the right area you're bound to at least get A hit most of the time.

Japan I would recommend over the US for learning "proper" battleship play for a couple of reasons. First: Their armor is more conventional. Yes both lines have the problem of getting, as a good friend of mine says, "cyka blepped" if caught broadside at most ranges, but the US also use those weird internal armor belts and don't really show how strong a battleship can be up close. Second, Japanese AA is... Not good. Any battleship driver, or any player for that matter, needs a healthy respect for aircraft. Japanese battleships will give you that while still giving you the option of beefing up their AA to what I consider "surprisingly effective" levels (I killed 12 planes in my first Amagi random and didn't take more than a bomb or two, what sorcery is this?!). And finally, Japanese battleships don't have to deal with the "Standard" battleship problem. Now don't get me wrong, I really like the US Standards, but New Mexico and especially Colorado can be frustrating for newer players with that same 21 knot top speed that New York has. Nagato's not much better, true, but at least she's at the lower end of "meh" once upgraded.

Sign in to follow this