Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheDreadnought

Is Georgia...

17 comments in this topic

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles

Being modeled on an Iowa hull, or a modified South Dakota hull?

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles
Just now, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

Looks like a modified SoDak hull. It completely lacks the Iowa's bow flare and bulbous nose.

Well that’s awesome.   SoDaks are my favorite BBS already.  Sounds like GA will be a perfect step up from massachusetts!

[WDS]
Members
1,519 posts
8,265 battles
8 minutes ago, EmperorMaxwell said:

Don't know or care, I just know I want one.

This^ yes +1

[MIA]
Privateers, Supertester
6,442 posts
7,774 battles

It is a prototype-Iowa design.

Edited by Kousatsu

[ABCD3]
Members
187 posts
5,868 battles

Now I got Georgia on my mind.   

Oh yeah,that's were my brother lives too.   

[DES23]
Alpha Tester
1,203 posts
4,951 battles
3 hours ago, Kousatsu said:

It is a prototype-Iowa design.

He's right you know.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,191 posts
14,312 battles

The 18" 3X2 guns are an Iowa concept from it's design process (IRL). The hull looks SoDak. I would say it is the bastard love child of the 2 conceived in WG's mad science lab.

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[ARP2]
Supertester
468 posts
4,293 battles

It's got the same skeg and propellers of South Dakota too.

[ALL41]
Members
245 posts
6,355 battles

With its 33k speed, it should be on an Iowa (read: "fast battleship") hull.    Short & stubby, yet maneuverable South Dakota class bb's couldn't attain that speed.   

Just watched Flambass playing her...with Speed Boost activated, 39.7knots!    :fish_nerv:

Edited by ThumperD702
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Alpha Tester
438 posts
11,107 battles
48 minutes ago, TheDreadnought said:

What about the armor scheme?

Essentially equivalent to the Iowa. There are a few minor differences, but it is for all intents and purposes an Iowa armed with 3x2 457mms.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,480 posts
6,103 battles
1 hour ago, ThumperD702 said:

With its 33k speed, it should be on an Iowa (read: "fast battleship") hull.    Short & stubby, yet maneuverable South Dakota class bb's couldn't attain that speed.   

Just watched Flambass playing her...with Speed Boost activated, 39.7knots!    :fish_nerv:

Nice!

[TOG]
Members
3,413 posts
17,836 battles

It'll be interesting to see what the coal price is. I'm expecting 240k. WITH the coupon.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,438 posts
12,810 battles
15 hours ago, TheDreadnought said:

Being modeled on an Iowa hull, or a modified South Dakota hull?

It's a modified SoDak.  You can tell by the bow, the belt, and the shaft skegs.  SoDak had outer skegs, Iowa and NC were inner shaft skegs.  Georgia is outer.

Basically, it's an early design study that led to the Iowa, and is based on the South Dakota.

Edited by crzyhawk
  • Cool 2

Members
610 posts
4,973 battles
13 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

It's a modified SoDak.  You can tell by the bow, the belt, and the shaft skegs.  SoDak had outer skegs, Iowa and NC were inner shaft skegs.  Georgia is outer.

Basically, it's an early design study that led to the Iowa, and is based on the South Dakota.

Exactly this. Remember, USN BB designs tend to be iterative improvements over the previous design rather than large changes in design elements. The notable exception being the North Carolina, but that was due to the change in manufacturing and design philosophy that resulted from all of the theoretical work that had to be done during the 'BB building holiday' enforced by the treaties. So to a degree, an Iowa is a stretched out SoDak, but further refinements were added as well during the lengthy design process and things had to be changed to meet the mountain of requirements the design had to meet. Interestingly, I've heard more than a few references to how some in the navy were unhappy with just how close the Iowas were to the SoDaks and considered it not enough of an improvement to be worth it. There were also ideas pitched at one point to convert the SoDaks to 33kt ships, but it would have required so much work and been so expensive, you might as well have just built more Iowas or get rolling with the Montanas.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this