You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
jags_domain

Ranger more health to torps or DB?

6 comments in this topic

[SOV]
Members
2,557 posts

I have always had more health on torps but the DB are the same as Lex?

Now I am wondering if more DB would be more useful?

[WAG]
Beta Testers
730 posts
6,100 battles

on usn in general TB's suck and DB's are amazing. there is no exception to this rule. upgrade those DB's as much as you can, they do way more alpha and fires are more likely to stick.

[SYJ]
Members
155 posts
8,759 battles

On the Ranger the Dive Bomber health module seams like a better choice, since there are 9 planes in a squadron. There are only 6 planes in a Torpedo Squadron.

On the Lexington it is nearly moot point, since both upgraded squadrons use the same plane ( DBs have extra120 hp while TBs have a "heal") with the same number of planes per squadron.
Either one upgrade is viable depending on your preferred method of attack.

Spoiler

Also USN T8 CVs are an exception to the rule, they actually have higher potential torpedo alpha damage then Shokaku.

USN Lexington / Enterprise 3 torps at 6467  = 19401 times 3 attacks  = 58203 for total max damage

IJN Shokaku 2 torps at 7233   = 14446 times 4 attacks = 57784 for total max damage. Good luck getting 4 attacks off, since your planes are made of "rice paper".

Right... so much for IJN being torp focused CVs, well at least they have AP bombs... Wait there is Enterprise that has "better" AP bombs and torps... GG WeeGee "Balans Komrads", but I digress.

[WAG]
Beta Testers
730 posts
6,100 battles
2 hours ago, Sammy_Small said:

Reveal hidden contents

on enterprise, yeah her ap bombs are quite a bit better, and IJN need some love after all these nerfs.

but for the lex, her possible damage is higher, but due to her drop pattern and very slow torps, it makes it difficult to get all that damage off. her DB's still do more consistent, higher alpha damage, especially since the only thing you can reliably hit all your torps on (BB's) have torpedo protection your effective damage is even lower... also torp bombers dont need to be in the AA cloud nearly as long as DB, and thus dont need health as much to be effective. they fly bellow most flak clouds during the attack run, and are maneuverable enough during the run to avoid flak, DB's do not have this luxury. sure they still take continuous damage, but they are in and out fairly quickly.

[SYJ]
Members
155 posts
8,759 battles
2 hours ago, GX9900A said:

on enterprise, yeah her ap bombs are quite a bit better, and IJN need some love after all these nerfs.

but for the lex, her possible damage is higher, but due to her drop pattern and very slow torps, it makes it difficult to get all that damage off. her DB's still do more consistent, higher alpha damage, especially since the only thing you can reliably hit all your torps on (BB's) have torpedo protection your effective damage is even lower... also torp bombers dont need to be in the AA cloud nearly as long as DB, and thus dont need health as much to be effective. they fly bellow most flak clouds during the attack run, and are maneuverable enough during the run to avoid flak, DB's do not have this luxury. sure they still take continuous damage, but they are in and out fairly quickly.

Fair point, since Dive Bombers don't have a "heal" and are a mostly utilized planes on USN CVs.

The nice thing about the "plane health module" upgrades is how they are calculated:
( Base plane HP + SE Skill ) * Module % buff
Lex DBs: ( 1780 +120 ) * 1.075 = 2042.5 that it rounded to 2043 HP per plane in game
Lex TBs ( 1660 +120 ) * 1.075 = 1913.5 that is rounded to 1914 HP per plane in game
Fighters ? Who the heck bothers with fighter health module? / rhetorical question.

[SOV]
Members
2,557 posts

thabks for the advice. Its a fsir point that db are used for everything. So I will switch and see how it works.

For Sipan I think I will keep it on the trips but is worth trying somthing else.