Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
crzyhawk

Naval Battles: How does this work?

10 comments in this topic

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,453 posts
12,810 battles

I'm not really understanding how this clan feature works.  What do you have to do to "win" so to speak.  When I look at it, I see 10/10 for attempts, what does that mean?  How do you score points?

• Boring 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
864 posts
13,312 battles
5 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

What do you have to do to "win" so to speak.  When I look at it, I see 10/10 for attempts, what does that mean?  How do you score points?

To win, your clan has to accumulate more stars than the clan you have been matched against. Stars are accumulated as members of your clan play ships that correspond to the many slots on the XP points board that is a part of that Naval Battles screen. When the board is fresh and clean, no one having played any games yet, all the slots, for every ship type and nation, will be set at 300. This means any player on your clan playing any of those types of any nation has but to receive 300 XP in their game to get your team a star. When that happens, the number will then change from 300 in that slot, to 900 in that slot. The next person in your clan to play that ship type, from that nation, will need to acquire 900 XP in their game to get your team a star. From there it goes to 1500, then 1550, then 1600. I have not seen any higher than that, but there may be.

It makes sense for your less skilled players to ENABLE, then play their ten games, at the beginning, when each slot only requires 300 XP to get your team a star. Then your middling players can work on the 900 XP slots, perhaps not selecting ENABLE until the second day, or only choosing to play ships that are already at 900 on day one due to other players having secured the star for the 300 XP. And your most skilled players can finish up by trying to knock out 1500+ XP slots, unless there are still 900, or even 300 slots that no one has secured.

The thing about this is, I like it. But I do not like that there is zero explanation of how all this works. It would not be too hard to put together a short video about it. I am a little disappointed that WG did not do that.

Anyway, your clan wins oil, win or lose, just by participating. But they earn a little more oil if your clan wins. The score, showing your score (stars secured) and the opponent clan score, gives you some idea of whether you are winning or losing at any given point.

I hope that helps.

Respects,

Am

• Cool 3

[LHG]
Members
2,095 posts
5,761 battles

Ok, it works like this. 

Your clan is matched up against another clan.  The objective is to win more stars than the opposing clan. 

Stars are earned by members of your clan playing battles in either Co-op or Random battles (or Ranked Battles if they are available).  If the player has "enabled" their participation in the event then if they play a battle and earn the target xp for that ship class and nation, you're clan earns a star.

You can determine what stars are currently available by scrolling down the screen in the "Engagement" tab of the Naval battles screen.  There you will see a chart showing all nations and ship types (excluding nations and ship types which do not have a tech tree line, like Italian Battleships or Polish Destroyers).  The number shown on this chart represents the xp a player has to earn to earn a star for that type of ship for that nation. 

For example, if you look at the chart for German battleships and the number there is 300, then that is the xp a player has to earn to earn a star playing that type of ship. 

Each player gets a maximum of 10 "attempts" to earn a star.  To begin your attempts, go to the engagement screen where you are seeing the 10/10 and click on the word "enabled".  From that point forward, any game you play in Co-op, Random or Ranked Battles counts as an attempt to earn a star until you have either taken all 10 or your attempts or changed the status from "enabled" to "disabled". 

A couple of notes:  Once a star is earned for a particular type and nationality of vessel, the xp needed to earn a star for those ships increases and as such, becomes increasingly difficult to earn. For example, lets say you decide you're going to play a German Battleship and the target xp for that star is currently 300xp.  You take the Nassau out, earn the 300xp and get your clan a star.  Having done that, the xp need to earn an additional star in a German battleship increases to 900xp making it more difficult to obtain. This happens on a clan wide basis, not an individual on. 

For example, if you take the Nassau out and earn a 300xp star for German Battleships, the target xp resets to 900xp for the entire clan, not just for you.  The means if you Clan Mate Joe decides to use a German Battleship in this instance, he will need to earn 900xp for his attempt.  It doesn't matter that this is Joe's first attempt, you've already earned the 300xp star for German Battleships for your clan so that star is no longer available to be earned. 

Hope that's helpful. 

Edited by BB3_Oregon_Steel
  • Cool 1

[-BRS-]
[-BRS-]
Members
725 posts
5,029 battles

The default should always go back to disabled.  Had used 6 attempts Friday before I noticed it was enabled.

[WDS]
Members
1,521 posts
8,265 battles
8 minutes ago, 0NutsNBolts0 said:

The default should always go back to disabled.  Had used 6 attempts Friday before I noticed it was enabled.

Yes it happened to me too but I saw a post and went and hit disabled so I didn't lose any battles but they screwed that up for a lot of people . 

That's the first time enabled was already on to start the Friday battles .

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,453 posts
12,810 battles

Thanks, I think that makes it clear enough.

[INTEL]
Members
7,064 posts
28,898 battles

Note that it counts Base XP (without any flags, camos, or modifiers).

This counts on any enabled battle, win or lose.

For weaker players, note that 300 XP is fairly easy to get in Coop; 900+ is not possible in coop and requires Randoms

A couple of things WG should improve:

• make it disabled by default - e.g you have to enable it before every battle
  • display enabled/disabled status in Port - as it is it shows how many attempts you have left, not if it is enabled. Therefore it is easy to make a mistake and have it enabled when you do not want it or viceversa.
Edited by alexf24

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,453 posts
12,810 battles

I suppose I got lucky, I was out of attempts before I asked how this works, but I managed to get 7 stars anyways.

[NG-NL]
Members
5,719 posts
9,439 battles

Generally leave it to your better players to try the 1500/1550/1600 base XP. I've found BB and CR usually have better odds since DDs need several good torp runs and CVs need some good damage/spotting--the other irritant is you're depending on a good team in Random to get enough base XP. I've failed naval attempts before thanks to baddie teams throwing match or melting too fast.

T3-5 can hit 300 base XP easily enough. T6 minimum for 900, and for 1500 you'll want T8 minimum.

[LHG]
Members
2,095 posts
5,761 battles
2 hours ago, clammboy said:

Yes it happened to me too but I saw a post and went and hit disabled so I didn't lose any battles but they screwed that up for a lot of people . 

That's the first time enabled was already on to start the Friday battles .

Yes, there was a post to to the WOWS website on Friday that the Naval Battles system had mistakenly defaulted to enabled for all players.  It's something they have fixed but it going to cause a lot of problems with this week's battles.

Sign in to follow this