You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mandm34

Penalties

26 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
103 battles

I just wanted to know why this penalty system was made? Why? I get so fustrated when I shoot torpedoes get a destroy but a random team mate runs in front of it and I get a penalty it just annoys me. Why not just a report system?

• Funny 2
  • Boring 2

[OO7]
Members
4,280 posts
10,957 battles

Don't kill team mates and you won't have this problem. 

Don't shoot torps that have a chance of killing team mates and you won't kill team mates. 

If you do shoot torps that have a chance of killing team mates and they do kill a team mate, you wn up to it, apologize, accept your penalty and don't do it again. 

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,631 posts
15,896 battles
1 hour ago, Mandm34 said:

I just wanted to know why this penalty system was made? Why? I get so fustrated when I shoot torpedoes get a destroy but a random team mate runs in front of it and I get a penalty it just annoys me. Why not just a report system?

While I understand your consternation over other players not acknowledging you impending WoW status as a living God, and therefore removing themselves from any area in which you choose to display your above average, super-unicum abilities to utterly destroy those pesky red adversaries whenever and wherever they appear, you have to remember that you're dealing with small, petty individuals who mistakenly believe they have an equal right to occupy parts of the map and attack enemy ships whenever they please just like you do. And while I realize how very difficult this must be for you to understand and accept, the game feels like they are equal too. So until such time as you are permanently and for all times crowned Emperor of the Known Universe, you're just going to have to accept that you, and you alone, are responsible for all the ordinance you fire.

Have a nice day!

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3

[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
5,379 posts
15,161 battles

@Mandm34 If you weren't turned orange and restricted to co op only battles or suspended from playing you were not penalized. You were warned to refrain from unsporting conduct.

If you feel team mates are intentionally intercepting you rounds/torpedoes to grief you then report them in a support ticket with the replay.

As others have stated once you fire rounds/torpedoes you own the damage they do whether it be to foe or friend. So do not fire if a friendly might be hit.

Work off the pink and don't damage friendlies.

@Umikami Bravo!!!!!!

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,719 posts
9,439 battles
4 hours ago, Mandm34 said:

Generally speaking, if you fired it, it's your fault if it hits friendly.

That said, if it's torps w/ more than 10km distance, sometimes teammate gets careless and runs into them--his fault, but you still get told off for it.

As for the griefing part, never seen it in-game. It takes a lot of dedication to intercept teammate's firepower and turn him pink.

Members
4,379 posts
7,091 battles

So that hopefully you will learn to not fire 3 sets of torpedoes like happened to me the other day - I avoided the 2 sets but one of the torpedoes from the last set got me.  Might have been able to win had I not been killed.

[BS]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,539 posts
4,059 battles

Just be aware of your surroundings.

I usually yell in chat when I am about to launch so anyone near knows I have fish in the water.

[HMSC]
Members
6 posts
5,531 battles

Folks, the point is that they *aren't* there/going in that direction; it's that they turn TO your line of fire AFTER you've already fired. Yes, if I do that I consider it MY fault, not the firing ships! There should be a simple check that looks at the 'victim' to see if they made a turn between the time the torpedo was fired and the hit. I know I am almost at the point of uninstalling because of it.

[WOLFG]
Members
4,477 posts
2,486 battles
On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 1:11 PM, Umikami said:

While I understand your consternation over other players not acknowledging you impending WoW status as a living God, and therefore removing themselves from any area in which you choose to display your above average, super-unicum abilities to utterly destroy those pesky red adversaries whenever and wherever they appear, you have to remember that you're dealing with small, petty individuals who mistakenly believe they have an equal right to occupy parts of the map and attack enemy ships whenever they please just like you do. And while I realize how very difficult this must be for you to understand and accept, the game feels like they are equal too. So until such time as you are permanently and for all times crowned Emperor of the Known Universe, you're just going to have to accept that you, and you alone, are responsible for all the ordinance you fire.

Have a nice day!

That was beautiful.

[GT99]
Members
554 posts
7,318 battles
8 minutes ago, Timaras said:

Folks, the point is that they *aren't* there/going in that direction; it's that they turn TO your line of fire AFTER you've already fired. Yes, if I do that I consider it MY fault, not the firing ships! There should be a simple check that looks at the 'victim' to see if they made a turn between the time the torpedo was fired and the hit. I know I am almost at the point of uninstalling because of it.

Nope

Members
378 posts
3,918 battles

So, they should not manuver in the part of the map you might decide to launch torps from behind them at something that might be in range of your super long ranged torpedoes? /S

Seriously, if you want to use torpedoes, you should be in front of your teammates, if they are in front of you then they have other things to do than watch for torps from behind them.  I have yet to hit a teammate that was behind me with my torps.  Although there was a bug a while back that launched the torps off of the wrong side of the ship. :fish_nerv:

[WOLF9]
Beta Testers
1,642 posts
12 minutes ago, Timaras said:

No need.  Don't fire torps where any green ship can possibly hit them.

This will 100% and always solve the problem.

• Cool 1

[55TH]
Beta Testers
1,285 posts
3,689 battles
14 minutes ago, Timaras said:

It's a relatively minor penalty, unless you are damaging/sinking people every game.

If you're using torpedoes as a primary weapon (mainly destroyers but sometimes cruisers), you have to maintain situational awareness.  Much like you have to do when you're using a battleship, always a good idea to check and see if someone has decided to hug your ship before firing your main battery.  And you have consider that people often tunnel vision while in combat.  They are not looking for enemy torpedoes to come from behind them.  So they might not be in a position to dodge properly.  Also, if you are firing torps near your team mates, you are potentially locking them into a course, where they cannot turn because your torps are there.

Torps are a powerful weapon and you have to exercise more care in using them.  It will always be the firer's fault, may as well own up to it (as in, sorry dude), and suck up the penalty.

• Cool 1

[DBRIS]
Members
12 posts
4,225 battles

I did it this morning, didn't think a BB would get somewhere else so fast. My fault for misjudging. Apologized and accepted I did a stupid thing. My torps, my fault.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
On 5/4/2019 at 12:07 PM, Mandm34 said:

Because people were shooting friendly ships. The pink system has gotten tighter to discourage team damage. Now, if you do roughly 10% damage to a friendly, you go pink as a warning. If you accidentally do team damage, as all of us do at one time or another, apologize, take the pink and move on. For those who TK too much, the pink system ramps up into real penalties to discourage TK. The system is fine if you don't TK.

On 5/4/2019 at 4:20 PM, Reymu said:

Generally speaking, if you fired it, it's your fault if it hits friendly.

That said, if it's torps w/ more than 10km distance, sometimes teammate gets careless and runs into them--his fault, but you still get told off for it.

As for the griefing part, never seen it in-game. It takes a lot of dedication to intercept teammate's firepower and turn him pink.

Nope, still your fault at 10km. I'm fighting the reds. I'm not supposed to fight the reds and you who are on the green team with me.

3 hours ago, Timaras said:

Your ordinance, your responsibility. Don't fire where teammates can turn into your torps. It's that simple.

3 hours ago, Gasboy said:

It's a relatively minor penalty, unless you are damaging/sinking people every game.

If you're using torpedoes as a primary weapon (mainly destroyers but sometimes cruisers), you have to maintain situational awareness.  Much like you have to do when you're using a battleship, always a good idea to check and see if someone has decided to hug your ship before firing your main battery.  And you have consider that people often tunnel vision while in combat.  They are not looking for enemy torpedoes to come from behind them.  So they might not be in a position to dodge properly.  Also, if you are firing torps near your team mates, you are potentially locking them into a course, where they cannot turn because your torps are there.

Torps are a powerful weapon and you have to exercise more care in using them.  It will always be the firer's fault, may as well own up to it (as in, sorry dude), and suck up the penalty.

This^^^

Eating your torps or eating a broadside salvo from a red. Why put a teammate in that position and hurt your team?

19 minutes ago, ccsinkingfast said:

I did it this morning, didn't think a BB would get somewhere else so fast. My fault for misjudging. Apologized and accepted I did a stupid thing. My torps, my fault.

If only more thought like you. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
93 posts
1,233 battles

It's usually the fault of the firing ship. Turning is part of the battle.  A knee-jerk it's always the fault of firer no matter what even when the other person did something stupid goes too far though. There are times when you can reasonable expect even a half-competent teammate to do something or to not do something.

Edited by VictoryInThePacific

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
2 minutes ago, VictoryInThePacific said:

It's usually the fault of the firing ship. Turning is part of the battle.  A knee-jerk it's always the fault of firer no matter what even when the other person did something stupid goes too far though.

Nope. You are responsible for your ordinance. Full stop.

• Cool 1

Members
93 posts
1,233 battles

Nope. You are responsible for your ordinance. Full stop.

"No nuances allowed! It's always how I say. Because. So there. "

Why are you NOT responsible for your own ship's position then? 

Edited by VictoryInThePacific

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
3 minutes ago, VictoryInThePacific said:

Why are you firing at the reds from behind me? I should be fighting the reds. Not the reds and one green. How effin hard is it to understand don't shoot teammates?

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
19,332 posts
17,670 battles

I heard a vicious rumor that not attacking teammates results in not getting penalized for friendly fire.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I heard a vicious rumor that not attacking teammates results in not getting penalized for friendly fire.

:Smile_teethhappy: :Smile_honoring:

[WOLF3]
Members
19,332 posts
17,670 battles

Let me get this out of the way.  When I was new I did more than my fair share of plenty of TKs with my scrub a** in a low-mid tier Destroyer.

If you see any teammates even in the peripheral of your vision towards the target, you run the risk of hitting friendlies.  This is especially true when you get longer range torpedoes.  Torps can be in the water a long time, especially once you account for 10km, 12km, 16km torps.  People will maneuver around and end up in places you didn't think they'd go to.  You cannot expect your friendlies in front of you to account not only of enemy gunfire and torpedoes in FRONT of them, but now you want them to account for being stabbed in the BACK by friendly torpedoes?  Nah.  They mustn't worry about that because the enemy is already a lot to account for.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,926 posts
3,734 battles
53 minutes ago, VictoryInThePacific said:

We're positioning our ships to fight the enemy. We shouldn't have to be fighting your torps too. Besides which, if positioning your ship is your own responsibility, then it's also your responsibility to not position your ship behind friendlies when throwing torps. 

You demand nuance where there is little to be had.

EDIT - lol at the "boring" vote. If you put as much effort into learning to play as you put into being a forum warrior, threads like this wouldn't need to happen.

Edited by Harathan
  • Boring 1