Jump to content
Herr_Reitz

Big Boy 4014 hits the main line

20 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

29,214
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,523 posts
16,326 battles

Beauty~

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,917 posts
10,652 battles

Up 4014 was picked since the museum she ended up at kept her in really nice condition. Also some of the big boys had pieces cut or welded so they couldn't be restored.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099
[KSE]
Members
3,939 posts
18,378 battles

I'm gonna have to figure out when it's running again and go look at it, only about 50 miles from where I live.

 There's nothing better than a steam locomotive, wow

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,769
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,094 posts
25 minutes ago, silverdahc said:

I'm gonna have to figure out when it's running again and go look at it, only about 50 miles from where I live.

 There's nothing better than a steam locomotive, wow

No. 4014's first excursion run is to take place around May 2019 during "The Great Race to Ogden".[30] Following a 9:30 a.m. MT christening ceremony on May 4 at the historic Cheyenne Depot, No. 4014 will depart for Ogden, Utah, making several brief stops in communities along the way.[30] I

Looks like today would have been a good day to be there... sorry you missed the christening. 

BTW - it IS running again - see first sentence about her first excursion run! Wooooooo... 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,660
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
12,554 posts
18,079 battles

Another beautiful piece of American History saved ….. YEAH BABY!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,099
[KSE]
Members
3,939 posts
18,378 battles
21 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

No. 4014's first excursion run is to take place around May 2019 during "The Great Race to Ogden".[30] Following a 9:30 a.m. MT christening ceremony on May 4 at the historic Cheyenne Depot, No. 4014 will depart for Ogden, Utah, making several brief stops in communities along the way.[30] I

Looks like today would have been a good day to be there... sorry you missed the christening. 

BTW - it IS running again - see first sentence about her first excursion run! Wooooooo... 

 Ugh if I had only known and here I am doing yard work shakes fist in the air

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,503
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,633 posts
13,012 battles

The DM&IR Yellowstone's 2-8-8-4 were stronger but none of the remaining ones are road worthy.

tr_dmir224.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
485
[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,917 posts
10,652 battles

I just learned how to be a fireman on one of these. 

hqdefault5DQBT4JM.jpg.8b0d94c7a736491d2695847f2eb1d97d.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
87
[PVE]
Beta Testers
325 posts
4,154 battles

I am hoping one day they will restored the Great Northern S2 to operation but it be a long shot 

8883.gn-4_2D00_8_2D00_4-2584-front.JPG 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,769
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,094 posts

@Mheetu I want everything of any possible historical value restored! Think back to those eras of machines... it's amazing what they created.

Then there is this: 

The T1 Trust is constructing PRR T1 5550. Slated to become the fifty-third locomotive of its class when complete, 5550 combines stunning art deco design with a unique 4-4-4-4 wheel arrangement. The goal is simple; to provide mainline steam excursion service, and to set the World Speed Record for a steam locomotive.

https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

They are building a brand new version of this beast... from scratch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,769
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,094 posts

Even more new video... this one's different but dang listen to those whistles... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,392
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
6,774 posts
10,162 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 8:32 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

@Mheetu I want everything of any possible historical value restored! Think back to those eras of machines... it's amazing what they created.

Then there is this: 

The T1 Trust is constructing PRR T1 5550. Slated to become the fifty-third locomotive of its class when complete, 5550 combines stunning art deco design with a unique 4-4-4-4 wheel arrangement. The goal is simple; to provide mainline steam excursion service, and to set the World Speed Record for a steam locomotive.

https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

They are building a brand new version of this beast... from scratch! 

praise-be.jpg

to those that are building this beauty

Edited by tcbaker777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
344
[5IN]
Supertester
2,099 posts
10,026 battles

If you like trains, and live in the Midwest USA, check out the Illinois Railway Museum.  They don't have a big boy, but they do have a Zephyr (Nebraska Zephyr), as well as a ton of other really cool equipment.  Website is http://www.irm.org.

B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[ERN]
Members
648 posts
10,164 battles

It's awesome to see her riding the rails again!

I remember seeing her at her previous home at the county fair grounds when I was a kid, I couldn't comprehend the sheer size and beauty of that beast when I saw her through my childish eyes... it was an incredible experience!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,503
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,633 posts
13,012 battles
On 5/5/2019 at 7:32 AM, Herr_Reitz said:

@Mheetu I want everything of any possible historical value restored! Think back to those eras of machines... it's amazing what they created.

Then there is this: 

The T1 Trust is constructing PRR T1 5550. Slated to become the fifty-third locomotive of its class when complete, 5550 combines stunning art deco design with a unique 4-4-4-4 wheel arrangement. The goal is simple; to provide mainline steam excursion service, and to set the World Speed Record for a steam locomotive.

https://prrt1steamlocomotivetrust.org/

They are building a brand new version of this beast... from scratch! 

The people involved in this are completely nuts but in a way that I love. :Smile_great:

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×