You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Yuze_Zhang

Getting spotted behind island in point blank range

10 comments in this topic

[SGR_A]
Members
1 post
4,224 battles

Ok, I think it's the time to address this issue. I noticed that any ship, doesn't matter what type you are, you can get spotted within point blank range even there's an island in the way. Even the island is large enough to block the view, even there isn't any radar or hydro or any other ship spotting you. I think this is a really huge issue for dds, especially middle tiers with lower concealment. The carrier rework has already made dd's lives miserable, and this detection thing just doesn't make any sense(physically). I don't know if it's a bug or something, but I wish it can be fixed or changed. I hope someone can address this issue to wows.

• Funny 2

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,194 posts
11,696 battles

you are talking about the 2km auto detected, "proxi dectection"

This is game mechanic since the birth of WoWs ........  it doesnt need to make sense, it come with the game, learn to adapt and take advantage of it.

You can check on Wiki for detection to learn more

• Cool 1

Community Department
2,569 posts
759 battles
1 hour ago, Yuze_Zhang said:

Ok, I think it's the time to address this issue. I noticed that any ship, doesn't matter what type you are, you can get spotted within point blank range even there's an island in the way. Even the island is large enough to block the view, even there isn't any radar or hydro or any other ship spotting you. I think this is a really huge issue for dds, especially middle tiers with lower concealment. The carrier rework has already made dd's lives miserable, and this detection thing just doesn't make any sense(physically). I don't know if it's a bug or something, but I wish it can be fixed or changed. I hope someone can address this issue to wows.

49 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

and what purpose does this mechanic serve?

You may also check it in the port. 2 km is a very small distance to come close to any ship. It's not a bug of course. 
The situation when you don't see a part (e.g. superstructure, fore end) of a ship coming out of a very small island or a smoke screen closer than 2 km looks rather strange.

Spoiler

Capture1.JPG

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,248 posts
7,214 battles
48 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

and what purpose does this mechanic serve?

It serves to prevent a ship sitting 0.2 km away inside a smokescreen.

Members
28 posts
1,331 battles
12 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

It serves to prevent a ship sitting 0.2 km away inside a smokescreen.

OK, but how about the described situation where you sit behind the large island where nothing is visible on the other side?

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,248 posts
7,214 battles
7 minutes ago, Banished_Privateer said:

OK, but how about the described situation where you sit behind the large island where nothing is visible on the other side?

There is a render delay that is down to how the game engines takes some time to render the vessel. You can observe that in-game when a ship gets spotted it appears on the minimap, and then only a little bit later is rendered on your screen.

Proxy Detection at those ranges prevents players from abusing this render delay by rushing around a corner .5km away and dumping ten torps into someone who was spotted already.

• Cool 1

Members
28 posts
1,331 battles
1 minute ago, SireneRacker said:

There is a render delay that is down to how the game engines takes some time to render the vessel. You can observe that in-game when a ship gets spotted it appears on the minimap, and then only a little bit later is rendered on your screen.

Proxy Detection at those ranges prevents players from abusing this render delay by rushing around a corner .5km away and dumping ten torps into someone who was spotted already.

Yea, I noticed the render delay and I don't really like it much. Your explanation makes more sense rather than what others said "it's been always in the game, deal with it" sort of answers, thanks. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,228 posts
14,211 battles

Their is also a module that increases assured detection range.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,628 posts
15,896 battles
6 hours ago, Yuze_Zhang said:

I noticed that any ship, doesn't matter what type you are, you can get spotted within point blank range even there's an island in the way.

Yeah, this is another of many mechanics in the game which totally hose over ships which rely on stealth in favor of battleships, which is WoWs favorite type of ship. (Others are the detection notice which lets a large ship know you are stalking them, the RFP skill, and radar and hydro that sees through islands, etc.) WoW totally cheats in favor of larger ships all the time because these are the ships most players want to pay for and play and the company really is all about the money. (You will notice you got no kind of an answer to your question from the Community Department post). If you continue to play DDs you will need to get used to being the red headed step child of the game, because the game caters to and favors the larger ships over the smaller ones. It's just the way it is.