You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CaliburxZero

Nice job on the AL port, WG.

18 comments in this topic

[CVRME]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,596 posts
6,552 battles

Just a small thread to break the negativity/express my gratitude to the AL port, I love it.  I'm an AL fan and for the weeb such as myself its fantastic, bought the Montpelier just to show my gratitude for it.  (And because I rather enjoyed my time with Cleveland/to use my Worcester captain on it)

• Cool 4

[SPTR]
Members
26,525 posts
12,265 battles

The AL port is interesting whilst still remaining a good idea on WG behalf when making our ships like a model situated in a bedroom.

[CVRME]
1,596 posts
6,552 battles
2 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

The AL port is interesting whilst still remaining a good idea on WG behalf when making our ships like a model situated in a bedroom.

I'm not sure if you play/have tried to play Azure Lane, but alot of the bedroom the furniture are decorations you can actually get, and when completing your collection to a certain extent for a family of ships you get a ship model similar to how it displays the ship we currently have in port, clearly drawing from that.  I like the reference, and thought it was a bit clever/neat it was done this way.

Sorta wish Montpelier's camo was a little more flashy, but at least its scheme isn't gaudy/ugly.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,053 posts
4,926 battles

I'm not an AL player, but I really like this port and I love the concept behind it. In particular I like that this port really gives you sense of scale between ships. From little Tachibana that just BARELY  pokes out over the ends of the stands, to giants like Midway that look like they honestly might need a little more holding them up (not complaining, she's just a BIG ship).

A lot of people have put forward the idea for a less-stylized port that puts our ships on a stand like this on a desk or something in a model-maker's room, and I am 110% for that. I think it would be totally awesome to see.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,455 posts
13,901 battles

I like the concept more than the execution. Especially the color palette. Too bright / flat / cartoony.

• Cool 2

[2347]
Members
295 posts
6,480 battles

I very much like the idea of a ship model display in the port, and like the ships as presented in the AL port, but I have to say that I found the screen overall to be distracting and not really comfortable to use. I appreciate the effort and hope that in the future WG will offer up a permanent port, something more photorealistic, a bit less busy and able to really showcase the hard work that goes into creating these wonderful ships. I’m a bit of a collector, I admit.

[ARP2]
Members
1,360 posts
3,637 battles

I like it as well.  I dont play Azur Lane, but ill enjoy a sleeping kitty port anyday.

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
655 posts
4,404 battles

I love it. Something totally different and fun. Reminds me of the old Unreal Tournament maps that were bedrooms, bathrooms, and game rooms. 

Alpha Tester
393 posts
9,670 battles

Viewing ships is great in this port, thx WG.

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
915 posts
14 minutes ago, QQ_Whine_Moar said:

I love it. Something totally different and fun. Reminds me of the old Unreal Tournament maps that were bedrooms, bathrooms, and game rooms. 

I miss ut 98 and the map editor, I played for over 14 years until a lot the servers started dropping off in 2012 unfortunately that how I made my way over to WG  products when I saw one of the first WOT commercials.

I loved the rocket x mod the best. I was in a clan that was based off of just rocket x players.

[SALVO]
Members
19,919 posts
19,878 battles
2 hours ago, Lert said:

I like the concept more than the execution. Especially the color palette. Too bright / flat / cartoony.

Well, it is an anime port.  Can you really expect it to be anything other than bright and cartoony?

I will agree that a less bright and cartoony version might be quite interesting though.  But it shouldn't be tied to anything anime.  Just make it yet another new port somewhere down the line.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,455 posts
13,901 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, it is an anime port.  Can you really expect it to be anything other than bright and cartoony?

Yes. Easily. There are plenty of anime that aren't bright and cartoony.

That said, AL isn't even an anime; it's a chinese mobile game.

[WPP1]
[WPP1]
Beta Testers
655 posts
4,404 battles
2 hours ago, DESRON10 said:

I miss ut 98 and the map editor, I played for over 14 years until a lot the servers started dropping off in 2012 unfortunately that how I made my way over to WG  products when I saw one of the first WOT commercials.

I loved the rocket x mod the best. I was in a clan that was based off of just rocket x players.

UT GOTY edition is on my short list of best games ever. I enjoyed 2004 as well. Tokarra Forrest. Lovely. You can still find a couple active servers on steam. 

[A-I-M]
Members
1,412 posts
15,811 battles

I like Ocean. Both the port and the map. Not sure when I became a curmudgeon. 

[CVRME]
1,596 posts
6,552 battles
9 hours ago, Lert said:

The color palette and cartoony-ness is more or less accurate, but since we're now looking at something 3D versus the 2D dorm room of the AL game itself, it could use some improvements in this regard, yeah.  After I read your comment I sat there and really stared at it for a good minute.  But hey, its a fun little extra for fans of AL and I certainly was not expecting it.

[MEATS]
Supertester, Beta Testers
223 posts
3,152 battles
9 hours ago, Lert said:

Thanks, I was having a hard time coming up with the right words to use.

When I heard about it, I was expecting something more along the lines of say, an officer's study with a cabinet or two with other ship models on display. A little disappointed, and a little more cartoony than I'd like, but it's a good start anyway. I'd really like to see a port like I described in the future. Or like several people have mentioned in other threads, maybe ships in bottles? That might be cool if done well.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
857 posts
6,705 battles

It's fun. Don't give two you know what's about AL, but it's neat, and I really like the lighting and being able to view the ship as a model. People need to lighten up, you're the reason we had to go hunt down and click a participation tab or all the sticks would be screaming in their mud. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
8,717 posts
4,131 battles
9 hours ago, Lert said:

I kinduv agree.  But one good thing, the low res and relative lack of animation should provide some intelligence on the port lag issue.

BTW, I wanna call plagiarism on my dorm room.  I used to keep a few rodents around to keep the cat playing inside and the proctor out.  Surely that is not common practice.