You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

5 comments in this topic

Members
77 posts
11,577 battles

Hmm...found a previous thread discussing this...but not in super depth. 

Sounds like AFT is the better choice overall. If the planes hit flak, that's when you make a big impact on the squadron. 

Edited by Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds

[CUTE]
Members
2,301 posts
10,084 battles

No, AFT is objectively terrible as an AA skill.

There are many reasons for that and some of the explainations can be quite subtle, but here are the big points:

1. Buffing flak damage is useless
    1. Good players will dodge it all anyways
      1. On the converse players will get melted by flak anyways, irrespective of if you buff it or not (But nobody really runs into flak anymore. Dodging flak is your entrance ticket into CV gameplay, people that can't get the hang of it aren't going to see past tier IV)
    2. Buffing continuous AA damage through Manual AA, BFT, or even Preventative maintenance would be significantly more useful (that's the AA that actually works)
  2. The increased damage really doesn't do much.
    1. Most ships are physically incapable of stopping the first strike of a CV, no matter how much you AA spec it.
      1. What buffing AA does is it prevents the CV from loitering around to get that second or third strike in (or at least attrition her planes if she manages to do so anyways)
      2. Rarely do you see AA skills push a ship from being able to stop a CV after two strikes to stopping a CV after one strike
    2. AFT only gives you a 15% damage increase, which is not a lot. It's actually super mediocre, barely even noticeable.
  3. There are much better options to spend those skill points on.
    1. For most DDs, I would say getting superintendent would be the best counter to CV gameplay. Getting an extra smoke/heal allows you to be much safer in the later half of the game, which is when CVs grow exponentially more powerful as both sides then to thin out and spread out
    2. For most Battleships I would say survivability oriented skills like superintended, BoS, or even High Alert/ Jack of All trades
    3. For Cruisers, if you are set on going AA focused, I would pick BFT and Manual AA, but I wouldn't go further than that. Spending the rest on survivability/damage oriented skills would be preferd, as the best way to shut down a CV is to shoot her team from under her.
    4. AFT is also ridiculously expensive. If you're not planning on picking it up for secondary/DD gun range, then I would say that it is probably the most cost inefficient perk that exists. It's more of a 0.5-1 pt skillif you don't make use of the range. The AA buff is just too insignificant.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,276 posts
10,908 battles

If you are in an AA ship MFAA is the better but both are better yet. Now for ships that do not have super strong AA AFT is the choice as it also helps your secondaries.

Members
77 posts
11,577 battles

All excellent info! thank you!

I get BFT+AFT+MFAA is the best option, but its a LOT of points into it...plus since most decent CVs can dodge flak...that's why im hesitant to dump so much into it.

Currently running my Atlanta/sims/monaghan as BFT+MFAA, then everything else into fires/reloads/survivability, etc. Seems to work well. 

I don't use AFT in the atlanta as I find CE much more useful overall. I get that it buffs my AA and range, but...good luck hitting anything out at that range...

Edited by Bigs_Destroyer_of_Worlds