You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Rear_Admiral_Benson

Audacious Fighters

9 comments in this topic

[HMCS]
Beta Testers
11 posts
3,357 battles

After some considerable time spent on this boat, I am mostly satisfied with the torps and a bit annoyed, at times, with the inconsistency of hits for rockets and level bombs. I lament to recall how many times I've had a seemingly well aimed drop completely bracket the target and, other times when yanking off a snap drop, to have it hit and deal plenty of damage or fires. On that front, it seems to me it really doesn't matter too much if the reticle is aimed dead centre, linear, or off centre. It's definitely not my leading as I got used to the (strange) longer drop time for those planes versus previous ships in the line. But I digress...

Anyway, my biggest issue comes with dropping fighter squadrons. I wanted to compare it to those of the Hak, but haven't had too many opportunities. I guess it really isn't surprising, given how strong the Midway is. I genuinely feel its squads outclass the or Match the Audacious is nearly all regards. Some would point to the bigger health pools; but, slower planes mean more time spent in AA sectors - so it really is negligible at best.

I notice, if controlling a squad, if I enter an enemy's fighter group patrol circle, even for a mere few seconds, they will engage me without much hesitation and follow me to the ends of the map, if necessary, to shoot down my slow planes by their standard. This remains true for surface ship launched fighter groups or the automated defensive fighter groups from carriers. I don't really have an issue with this, even though I do think it's odd surface ships launch magic squads that somehow can outrun and out maneuver my Wyverns, Seafires, etc. It's a bit silly, but ultimately it's about balance before realism and I can live with that.

What I can't live with is the utter rarity it is that my dropped fighter groups will engage enemy planes, let alone actually shoot any down. I have, on countless occasions, watch my fighter groups just casually patrol the circle and ignore the enemy planes. It seems to me that unless they sit inside the circle for a good four or five seconds, my planes just don't latch on. Given my planes are slow and easy targets for other CV fighter groups, it makes it almost a redundant feature for me if my planes are apparently so handicapped in that regard. I have succumbed to essentially using them in a spotting role.

If this is was brought up elsewhere, my apologies as my search didn't yield any threads that addressed it. Is anyone else noticing this? Thoughts? I think, for mine and other Audacious drivers, it is something which could be addressed.

[ODIN]
Members
1,314 posts
3,206 battles
3 minutes ago, Rear_Admiral_Benson said:

After some considerable time spent on this boat, I am mostly satisfied with the torps and a bit annoyed, at times, with the inconsistency of hits for rockets and level bombs. I lament to recall how many times I've had a seemingly well aimed drop completely bracket the target and, other times when yanking off a snap drop, to have it hit and deal plenty of damage or fires. On that front, it seems to me it really doesn't matter too much if the reticle is aimed dead centre, linear, or off centre. It's definitely not my leading as I got used to the (strange) longer drop time for those planes versus previous ships in the line. But I digress...

Anyway, my biggest issue comes with dropping fighter squadrons. I wanted to compare it to those of the Hak, but haven't had too many opportunities. I guess it really isn't surprising, given how strong the Midway is. I genuinely feel its squads outclass the or Match the Audacious is nearly all regards. Some would point to the bigger health pools; but, slower planes mean more time spent in AA sectors - so it really is negligible at best.

I notice, if controlling a squad, if I enter an enemy's fighter group patrol circle, even for a mere few seconds, they will engage me without much hesitation and follow me to the ends of the map, if necessary, to shoot down my slow planes by their standard. This remains true for surface ship launched fighter groups or the automated defensive fighter groups from carriers. I don't really have an issue with this, even though I do think it's odd surface ships launch magic squads that somehow can outrun and out maneuver my Wyverns, Seafires, etc. It's a bit silly, but ultimately it's about balance before realism and I can live with that.

What I can't live with is the utter rarity it is that my dropped fighter groups will engage enemy planes, let alone actually shoot any down. I have, on countless occasions, watch my fighter groups just casually patrol the circle and ignore the enemy planes. It seems to me that unless they sit inside the circle for a good four or five seconds, my planes just don't latch on. Given my planes are slow and easy targets for other CV fighter groups, it makes it almost a redundant feature for me if my planes are apparently so handicapped in that regard. I have succumbed to essentially using them in a spotting role.

If this is was brought up elsewhere, my apologies as my search didn't yield any threads that addressed it. Is anyone else noticing this? Thoughts? I think, for mine and other Audacious drivers, it is something which could be addressed.

All fighters require enemies to linger in the patrol zone for a few seconds. That few-second countdown only starts once the fighters are finished spawning, which also takes a few seconds. With the exception of the Enterprise, I haven't really noticed a difference between the fighters of the CVs of a given tier.

[HMCS]
Beta Testers
11 posts
3,357 battles
9 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

All fighters require enemies to linger in the patrol zone for a few seconds. That few-second countdown only starts once the fighters are finished spawning, which also takes a few seconds. With the exception of the Enterprise, I haven't really noticed a difference between the fighters of the CVs of a given tier.

I'm well aware of that and, as I said, they will activate and chase me if I do spend that few seconds in there. My issue is that enemy planes can spend several seconds, at least four or five seconds, regardless of how long my fighters have spawned, and they still will not engage them at times. This is something I've consistently noticed and have waited some time to ensure it wasn't just a blip in the radar I was blowing out of proportion. It's an Audacious thing, something not noticed on my other CVs and it's especially bad when matched against Midways. There is a significant difference.

[ODIN]
Members
1,314 posts
3,206 battles
3 minutes ago, Rear_Admiral_Benson said:

I'm well aware of that and, as I said, they will activate and chase me if I do spend that few seconds in there. My issue is that enemy planes can spend several seconds, at least four or five seconds, regardless of how long my fighters have spawned, and they still will not engage them at times. This is something I've consistently noticed and have waited some time to ensure it wasn't just a blip in the radar I was blowing out of proportion. It's an Audacious thing, something not noticed on my other CVs and it's especially bad when matched against Midways. There is a significant difference.

Weird. I haven't noticed that with the Audacious.

[HMCS]
Beta Testers
11 posts
3,357 battles
1 minute ago, Frenotx said:

Weird. I haven't noticed that with the Audacious.

Yeah, it's a polarized topic with my clan. Some have noticed it too, others haven't. I long considered that it was just a product of slower planes, but when I've had the opportunity to watch them they don't even seem to try and chase. When they do, they go to work and are then effective. So I'm at a loss. Even when my fighters patrol circles overlaps an enemy one, I find seven or eight times out of ten, the Midway's planes will eliminate mine in whole before his go down and that always seems to me to be a battle of who engages who first. Perhaps I'm wrong on that front.

In any event, thanks for your input. :Smile_honoring:

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles

The thing is, the fighter max speed is the maximum speed of the attack plane in your nation, and RN has the worst attackers in this subject.

I'd like to see a buff of 10~20% for the fighters speed since those are not loaded with payloads other than fuel (that is ejected during combat), it makes no sense for them to be slower than the normal attacker.

[ODIN]
Members
1,314 posts
3,206 battles
9 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

The thing is, the fighter max speed is the maximum speed of the attack plane in your nation, and RN has the worst attackers in this subject.

I'd like to see a buff of 10~20% for the fighters speed since those are not loaded with payloads other than fuel (that is ejected during combat), it makes no sense for them to be slower than the normal attacker.

On that note, WG please just raise the speed of the Audacious' rocket planes. They hurt my soul to fly, in contrast to the other squads. It doesn't feel bad to switch from USN bomber to USN rocket planes. The bombers are slower, but since they can maintain boost for a long time the actual average cruise speed isn't jarringly far off. The RN rocket planes on the other hand have way lower cruise speed than the bombers, and the fact that they can't maintain boost pushes their actual average cruise speed relatively even lower. It's agonizing.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,566 posts
16,962 battles
3 minutes ago, Frenotx said:

On that note, WG please just raise the speed of the Audacious' rocket planes. They hurt my soul to fly, in contrast to the other squads. It doesn't feel bad to switch from USN bomber to USN rocket planes. The bombers are slower, but since they can maintain boost for a long time the actual average cruise speed isn't jarringly far off. The RN rocket planes on the other hand have way lower cruise speed than the bombers, and the fact that they can't maintain boost pushes their actual average cruise speed relatively even lower. It's agonizing.

However you can discover and attack a DD in one pass.

[ODIN]
Members
1,314 posts
3,206 battles
2 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

However you can discover and attack a DD in one pass.

If you catch them from behind, yeah. Sucks if it's one of the ones with good AA, though- the significantly lower closing speed means a lot more time in the aura. It also makes it harder to open the distance to turn for a second pass, too- especially if the DD is smart and turns towards the squad.