You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Do you have one of these ships........

10 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
391 posts
5,100 battles

Playing Naval Battles tonight and I saw that my team needed a 300 star for an RN BB.  I have exactly ONE RN BB in my fleet, the Nelson.  Took her out, got the star.  Big woop you say, not a big deal.  Well, for me it is. 

OK, a little background.  I like playing the little ships.  I enjoy dd play and have the majority of my time and effort over the last year getting to the T8-10 dds from the USN and IJN lines (both torp and gun).  I only have 4 BBs in my fleet (Kawachi, NY,  Nelson, and Dunkerque) and they are more placeholders than anything I play.  I don't play BBs because I enjoy playing a faster, more active, and more risky ship.  There is nothing wrong with BBs, but they just aren't my thing.

That's why the Nelson is such a puzzle to me.  It's not that I like her so much, it's that she seems to like me...or at least how I play her.  I can go months at a time and not sail her and then I launch her and.....I do decent.  I haven't studied videos, read the WIki, and browsed the forum for tips on how to play her like I have with my dds, but I seem to be able to hold my own when I'm in her.

From the stuff that I have researched, it's not like people are saying that she's a particularly forgiving ship for BB noobs, but when I play her, it feels...comfortable.  I honestly don't know how to play BBs other than the stuff that I've learned by watching them from the other side as I line up my torps.  Somehow, my playstyle and this ship seem to fit.  I still am trying to figure out what it is.

So.....tell me (and the rest of the forum) about your experience in being good in a ship that you have no business being good in.  Truth be told, I think that we all have at least one (if not more).  If we can figure out why, it might allow us to understand our gameplay tendencies and make us perform better in the game.

Tell us about that ship. 

• Cool 1

[DBM]
Members
391 posts
5,100 battles

FYI -replay available upon request.  BB mains need to promise not to laugh your butts off because..yes..I am a dd driver!  Still got over 1100 HPs in the game, so there's that.

[HELLS]
Members
2,049 posts
19,514 battles

In my case the top feelgood ship is Alabama. Why I do not know, and I am a BB main (RN for the most part since that line came out). I do well in her, for some reason. Guilio Cesare is another ship that fits well. I suck in DDs, but do well in Kidd. Simply cannot figure out why for any of them, other than pure luck....

• Cool 1

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

So.....tell me (and the rest of the forum) about your experience in being good in a ship that you have no business being good in.  Truth be told, I think that we all have at least one (if not more).  If we can figure out why, it might allow us to understand our gameplay tendencies and make us perform better in the game.

Tell us about that ship.  

I can't tell you about *that ship* because the synergy of player and ship is entirely unique. It's what I love about this game and why I am a collector rather than a stat-hound. Some ships I really love I am not good at, others I am, but the connected feeling is the same. I know what ships I connect with. Trust your instincts and go with those ships. Blessings son.

[And I see you are  Civil war buff. Here's is a favourite exchange of mine, Mosby and Unions General Stoughton:

"Ginrel have you heard of Mosby?"

--"Yes have  you caught him??"

"He has caught YOU"]

;)

Edited by Stauffenberg44

[WOLF5]
Members
2,025 posts
2,780 battles

Helena.

My experience is CLs is generally, pew-pew-pew-pew-pew-fire-BB notices me - pe-crap, hard to starbo-BOOM... (timer at 14min)...yeah, probably should have stayed behind that island.

But the Helena is different. It has a lot of firepower, the IFHE wrecks everything, and I feel very comfortable torching everything, DDs, CAs, CLs, BBs, I feel I can duck and shoot and usually win. I don't seem to randomly explode as much, and that makes all the difference. It's just a bit more survivable than any other cruiser I've played and it makes it really fun.

Now it might be cheating a bit, as my experience has emboldened me to try other CLs, and I'm getting better. It's all about positioning. I still tend to explode, a lot. But my main ship is still a BB. Yet the Helena is my favorite ship.

For a while it was the CO. Great heal, great guns, great turning, and I still didn't know USN BBs could exceed 25 knts. I had heard terrible things, but I liked it. Took it through my first ranked season, as far as T7 went that season. Learned to stop shooting and rush the Belfasts in smoke. No torps, and they don't react well to 16in shells at less than 5km.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,791 posts
10,285 battles

I have to work for all the ships I'm decent in :Smile_sad:

[SYN]
Members
3,371 posts
16,215 battles

Großer Kurfürst -  Don't do anything particularly special in it and I don't play many Bb games but it is a lucky ship for me and wins even when I play badly

Members
3,929 posts
8,475 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Yet the Helena is my favorite ship.

Listen to me. To hell with WR stats. Enjoy your fave ship and damn the torpedoes or whatever.

I play the Yamato daily even though I am sub 50%WR in her so far. I no longer care. I am a brilliant game winner every few games and that's good enough for me.

If you really hit it off with a ship follow your Muse.

Members
2,419 posts
9,043 battles

Atlanta.  I don’t expect to do good in that ship, but to my surprise it happens more often than not.

GK with full secondary build, highly situational and (in my opinion) vastly inferior to the other T10 BBs in the current meta.  But it works for whatever reason, and is fun to boot.

Exeter.  Did not expect it to be a good ship for a free premium, but it’s not bad.

Honorable mentions to Midway and Black, since I don’t play CVs and DDs nearly as much as BBs and cruisers.  Those two don’t disappoint when I take them out, but it’s not much of a surprise.