You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
a_Mad_Dog_CA

Detonation by Near Miss

17 comments in this topic

Members
22 posts
6,807 battles

Overall, I oppose the inclusion of detonations in this game. Everything that occurred in real life does not have to be in a game. Gameplay wise, it makes no sense to have rng reach into the game and just straight favor one team or another. I have played around 6000 games and been denoted 59 times. 1% of time I return to port, not because of anything other than, "Hello, it's RNGesus, you lose, good day sir." We never have our turrets break down (without even being hit), or guns jam, have dud ordinance or electrical systems fail, but those things were far more frequent in real life than magazine detonations - b/c those things are simply not fun. They add no enjoyment to the game. I have mentioned this before on the forums, and apparently there a number of people who think they are fun. So I get that there is disagreement.

But I have no idea why the feature I allude to in my title is in this game. Every shell has a chance to get a rng roll for a detonation - but apparently so do near misses. As you can see I was hit for almost 4000 damage by a bomb which did not even count as a "hit." That was the one that detonated me. In order to be killed, I should have to be hit. It is that simple - how on earth should a player be rewarded for missing me! I am uninterested if this is possible in real-life. It is a game. This is actually the second time this has happened to me, which is two times too many. In order to be killed, I should have to be hit.

World_of_warships_na Screenshot 2019.05.03 - 21.01.43.21.jpg

• Cool 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,370 posts
10,928 battles

I think detonations should be in the game. However, I do think that splash damage from hits that do not penetrate the ship should not add to or cause detonations.

• Cool 1

[CSALT]
Members
921 posts

It isn't any different to losing modules and getting incapacitations without being hit. 

Members
22 posts
6,807 battles

I would agree, Gunga, except in one case you press 'R,' and in the other case you are back in port. Not exactly the same consequence.

• Cool 2

[WOLF7]
Members
761 posts
3,713 battles

Yeah that is [edited].  I'm ok with detonations but they should not come from near misses. There seems to be some crossover in how damage can be applied and WG should take a look at this.  I think of a detonation and  I think of a penetration that causes a single or chain reaction of catastrophic explosions from INSIDE the ship.  If it's considered a "near miss" you cant really have it both ways.  

No doubt there were cases of sinking ships irl from near misses due to underwater structural damage/flooding but those would not behave the same way in the games damage model as detonations

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

They are so rare I don't see the point in complaining about them. You can always just run a det flag.

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
10,628 posts
15,896 battles

You had 2 in 6000 games ….. get over it.

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
4,327 posts
2 hours ago, a_Mad_Dog_CA said:

I would agree, Gunga, except in one case you press 'R,' and in the other case you are back in port. Not exactly the same consequence.

Pick another ship and hit Battle again.  Not a big deal.

And, as another person said, dets are so rare.

Edited by mavfin87

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,370 posts
10,928 battles
2 hours ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

It isn't any different to losing modules and getting incapacitations without being hit. 

Near misses should be able to take out exterior modules. The Magazine is not an exterior module.

• Cool 1

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,142 posts
4,934 battles
2 hours ago, a_Mad_Dog_CA said:

Yeah, I can see how it happens as a side-effect of the current system, I love those lulzy "0 hit incapacitations", but this is really a thing that probably shouldn't happen.

[CSALT]
Members
921 posts
11 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Near misses should be able to take out exterior modules. The Magazine is not an exterior module.

Neither is the engine, but it gets taken out all the time by near misses.

I am not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that it is at least consistent.

[GWG]
[GWG]
19,370 posts
10,928 battles
5 minutes ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Neither is the engine, but it gets taken out all the time by near misses.

I am not disagreeing with you, just pointing out that it is at least consistent.

Yeah but near misses can affect propellers and rudder.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,473 posts
9,556 battles
15 hours ago, a_Mad_Dog_CA said:

Overall, I oppose the inclusion of detonations in this game. Everything that occurred in real life does not have to be in a game. Gameplay wise, it makes no sense to have rng reach into the game and just straight favor one team or another. I have played around 6000 games and been denoted 59 times. 1% of time I return to port, not because of anything other than, "Hello, it's RNGesus, you lose, good day sir." We never have our turrets break down (without even being hit), or guns jam, have dud ordinance or electrical systems fail, but those things were far more frequent in real life than magazine detonations - b/c those things are simply not fun. They add no enjoyment to the game. I have mentioned this before on the forums, and apparently there a number of people who think they are fun. So I get that there is disagreement.

But I have no idea why the feature I allude to in my title is in this game. Every shell has a chance to get a rng roll for a detonation - but apparently so do near misses. As you can see I was hit for almost 4000 damage by a bomb which did not even count as a "hit." That was the one that detonated me. In order to be killed, I should have to be hit. It is that simple - how on earth should a player be rewarded for missing me! I am uninterested if this is possible in real-life. It is a game. This is actually the second time this has happened to me, which is two times too many. In order to be killed, I should have to be hit.

If DDs had citadels you would have an argument; but the absence of your last class vulnerability makes the removing of detonations a plausible one. Every ship runs the risk of being detonated: nothing new and you get flags for it too.

[ODIN]
Members
1,322 posts
3,206 battles

A large number of the times I've detonated, I was assured to die in short order anyways. Also, an enormous amount of naval damage during the war was from near misses and splinters, rather than direct hits. Guess it's just another bit of history finding its way in.

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles
16 hours ago, a_Mad_Dog_CA said:

But...if you remove detonation, how will I get devastating strikes with my CV?

Jokes aside, agree, detonation isn't fun for the victim's team.

Beta Testers
1,536 posts
9,529 battles
14 hours ago, Stauffenberg44 said:

I love Detonations, especially celebrity blow ups:

real real good!