You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

Personal Missions Need to Take the Ship into Account

10 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
2,030 posts
2,780 battles

So the idea of personal missions isn't bad. I haven't seen people doing stupid things to complete it (not yet anyway). But would it really be that hard to check what ship I'm playing before assigning the mission? They don't occur every game, so when I'm in my Montana and the personal mission that pops up is to set two fires, that's not really useful. Do you really want me to load HE? Because I don't want to. Similarly, Budyonny, Personal Mission: Get 5 citadels. In a ship with 6" guns that's known for being a long distance fire spammer. If I find the right ship, if he's dumb enough to show broadside for long enough for me to switch to AP, and if I get suicidally close then maybe I can do it. But it's probably not going to happen. Now, citadels in a Montana, I'm trying to do that anyway, same with fires in a CL. So why can't the game check the ship type before assigning a mission? There are missions for BBs, for CAs, for CLs, DDs, CVs, etc. That way we don't waste them when they occur. It would be one thing if they were every game. But it's just dumb when the one you get once every 3 or 4 games is totally inappropriate for the ship type you're playing. At least I haven't got torpedo missions for a BB yet.

• Cool 2

[NG-NL]
Members
5,720 posts
9,439 battles

It's not like failing a Random mission costs you 24 hours of Premium :Smile_trollface:

[SALVO]
Members
20,165 posts
20,016 battles

A gripe that I have with some Personal Missions is that they can be next to impossible in coop.  Seriously, I've twice gotten a "spot 7 ships" PM in a CV.  I know that CVs are good for spotting, but there are only 8 enemy ships in coop, and you simply CANNOT find 7 of them before the rest of your team comes into range of them.  The 8 ships are too spread out for carrier planes to spot more than maybe half of them, maybe a little more.  And this doesn't take into account DDs while tend to be much more difficult to spot.

I guess that I wish that the PM's were scaled back somewhat for coop (with a reduced points reward, of course) so that they were reasonably achievable. 

[VIP-2]
Members
814 posts
2,919 battles

Ive been in some coop games with less than seven ships...lol guess that would be impossible then.

And set 2 fires with a montana isnt that bad, its only a couple salvos of HE, better than half the time i have HE loaded at the beginning of a BB game anyway to max hit that overzealous DD that always seems to appear in the cap. And rare is the game i dont need to aim at the bowtanking BB, which is better for HE most of the time anyway.

Totally feel your pain about 6 cits in a budy. That requires a certain star alignment, or foolish play.

[ICOP]
Members
229 posts
9,832 battles

How about 2 spotted and you are in a New Mexico?  LOL!

But the opposite happens.  I got an order to set 4 fires while I was driving my Atlanta.  Duh?

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,797 posts
10,296 battles

My favorite... spot two ships in a CV match.

[WOLF5]
Members
2,030 posts
2,780 battles
2 hours ago, Reymu said:

It's not like failing a Random mission costs you 24 hours of Premium :Smile_trollface:

No, but if you want people to play the event, at least make it possible.

TBH, I just got a mission to get any 60 ribbons....in a Seattle. Didn't take that long. Sometimes they're easy, other times they're literally impossible. My philosophy has been if I get it, I get it, I'm not going out of my way to complete the mission.

On an aside. Your sig says you're a semi-retired Taiho captain? Aren't you kind of permanently retired now since the ship is gone (at least for a good while)?

Edited by AJTP89

[WOLF5]
Members
2,030 posts
2,780 battles
3 minutes ago, Joe_918145 said:

How about 2 spotted and you are in a New Mexico?  LOL!

But the opposite happens.  I got an order to set 4 fires while I was driving my Atlanta.  Duh?

What? You mean you weren't in the lead in your NM?! It's camping BB captains like you that are sending this game down the drain:Smile_trollface:

But that Atlanta one. I only have to set 4 fires? Does I get triple the points if I set 12:cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
4,505 posts
2,510 battles
20 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

What? You mean you weren't in the lead in your NM?! It's camping BB captains like you that are sending this game down the drain:Smile_trollface:

But that Atlanta one. I only have to set 4 fires? Does I get triple the points if I set 12:cap_rambo:

I've gotten three spots in the Queen Elizabeth before.  OK, they were respots.

I like the use consumables 5 times when you are in a BB (read SLOW BB).  The game won't last long enough to get two spotter planes up a lot of times.

You just end up begging to be set on fire.  And run in to a RN cruiser.

[EFEWE]
Members
148 posts
7,571 battles

We can always talk about impossible missions, like get 5 citadels in a Ranger or spot 7 ships in a short queue 6 ship match or get 2 fires in a Leander. If I had a dollar for every impossible mission I could almost buy a ship bundle with it.