You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BiskitsNWaffles

Are american cruisers still going strong?

23 comments in this topic

[PRAVD]
Members
65 posts

How effective is this line, as of now? I eventually want to work towards the Alaska, (LONG term), but I'm not stupid, so I obviously will begin to work my way up the american line, gradually learning the playstyle, etc, of the american cruisers. That's besides the point though. Before such a long journey, I simply wanted to ask how the US ships still hold up in today's meta? As one of the oldest lines, I worry that the the non-light cruiser tree of the USN line may have lost some of its prowess, compared to considerable power creep of the other lines. Is it still worth it to grind down the american line? Would it truly provide experience for other cruiser lines that can be applied elsewhere? (What I really care about)

Thanks.

[PRAVD]
Members
65 posts

As a note : I generally enjoy cruisers, I fell in love with the RN line at T5+, amazing tree. I am looking to expand my horizons and explore new trees though, hence this post.

[DOTM]
Beta Testers
1,012 posts

Eh, US cruisers probably take more skill to play than the other cruiser lines in my opinion, with the possible exception of the RN CL line, due to the lousy ballistics on their shells and lack of torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,369 posts
5,824 battles

As far as T10 goes, DM is still (IMO) the best T10 cruiser.  The Worcester got nerfed pretty hard with radar range reduction and normalized CE. It's always been a support ship needing others to spot, but its DD-hunting capabilities are much worse now.  It's god-tier AA is also now a shadow of its former self... but that's kind of the case across the board. 

[HYDRO]
Members
2,864 posts
4,596 battles

As far as higher tiers are concerned, Baltimore is a very strong contender for best tech tree tier VIII cruiser, Buffalo is considered a downgrade, and Des Moines is Des Moines.

On the other line, Cleveland is solid, Seattle is disliked by many and Worcester is a heart attack for unsuspecting DDs and overextending BBs waiting to happen.

Regardless of which path you follow, keep in mind that USN Cruisers in general favour the use of terrain and island hugging. You may prefer a different playstyle to this.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,487 posts
9,607 battles
13 minutes ago, BiskitsNWaffles said:

How effective is this line, as of now? I eventually want to work towards the Alaska, (LONG term), but I'm not stupid, so I obviously will begin to work my way up the american line, gradually learning the playstyle, etc, of the american cruisers. That's besides the point though. Before such a long journey, I simply wanted to ask how the US ships still hold up in today's meta? As one of the oldest lines, I worry that the the non-light cruiser tree of the USN line may have lost some of its prowess, compared to considerable power creep of the other lines. Is it still worth it to grind down the american line? Would it truly provide experience for other cruiser lines that can be applied elsewhere? (What I really care about)

Thanks.

Imo there isn't a better time to drive a usn cruiser light or heavy. However, if the ship your aiming for is Alaska and not Worcester the USN CA tree is an absolute must.

With radar and many of The DD mafia on strike, most battles will have a manageable number of Invisible or uncanny torp walls that will allow you to farm damage than try to wrap your head around the next red DD's scheme.

In addition, your one of the few Cruiser branches that focuses on AA as a strength and once at t8 with Baltimore, your 27mm plating will allow you to bully BBs with calibers 381mms and less.

Not to mention, starting at t6 usn CAs have improved penetration angles on their AP, giving them increased freedom of ammo variety.

Fortunately, when the DDs are thick or the enemy hiding Radar becomes and indespensible form of surveillance that could turn a rude awakening into a picnic.

When CVs want your team's hide, USN CAs are one of the few lines that make planes collect sea time. Don't get me wrong, AA isnt as strong as it used to be hut usn AA is still stronger than it's made out to be.

Usn CAs are like miniature squishy BBs. The difference is you can use a great deal of many things to get to the enemy or protect a friend. Other lines ususally have to choose one or the other but:

1] strong AA

2] radar utility

3] 27mm plating

4] reasonable concealment 

5] reasiomable fire chance

6] improved AP angles

7] lofty arcs

Make usn CAs the dog of the island campaigns and the poacher of the bird wars. While Everyone else has to choose  one attribute or the other, usn cruisers get to chose then all; except torpedoes and extreme range.

Hope that helps...

• Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,112 posts
19,510 battles
24 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

As far as higher tiers are concerned, Baltimore is a very strong contender for best tech tree tier VIII cruiser, Buffalo is considered a downgrade, and Des Moines is Des Moines.

Hated Baltimore before, and still hate it now. Consider a squishy xp piñata waiting to be burst from some unexpected angle.

Why Buffalo is considered a downgrade escapes me. I’ve done better in it than Des Moines, and only did better than Buffalo when I got Salem, (which I admit is bizarre in the extreme, since Salem is a DM... :Smile_amazed: )

Members
1,629 posts
17,078 battles
1 hour ago, BiskitsNWaffles said:

As a note : I generally enjoy cruisers, I fell in love with the RN line at T5+, amazing tree. I am looking to expand my horizons and explore new trees though, hence this post.

If you like the RN you will enjoy the USN CL tree.  As mentioned above a shared AK Captain may be more applicable to the CA branch, or maybe even BBs, but i think you will enjoy the CL more.

Members
76 posts
4,167 battles

Well, if you are talking about fulling certain roles. US cruisers definitely have their places. But if you are just looking for some raw damage in a chaos random game to cover your costs. Well, at least DM is not doing that well as far as I know. And DM and alaska play quite differently.

As others said, us cruisers take more skills because they are vulnerable and the shell arcs are not good. When I first got the DM as my first t10 ship, I can't make it work for a very long time. So be aware. 

[EGO]
Members
3,515 posts
5 hours ago, BiskitsNWaffles said:

Thanks.

Don't worry about how strong they are, worry about if they fit your playstyle.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,142 posts
4,934 battles

I love me some Baltimore, love the US CLs (I even tolerate Seattle these days!), and love Alaska. Buffalo is the CA I'm on, she's "solid" for me, which is as close to "meh" as any of the heavy cruisers have gotten from my gameplay. They're all great ships, would recommend. Especially with all these flies that they can swat nowadays.

[DAKI]
Beta Testers
3,106 posts
4,527 battles

DM is one of the higher skill floor ships, but its a multiplier of skill. put good in, get good out.

[SAA]
Members
119 posts
2,315 battles

I love Des Salemois.  To me plays like a grown up atlanta.  Great firestarter mid to mid long range.  Deletes cruisers that show their sides.  AA is borderline no fly zone.

DesSalemois Captains quickly learn to keep their large citadel tucked away behind an island or at least the nose plating.

Edited by YouSatInGum

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,797 posts
10,296 battles

Like every line, there are good ships and bad ships, and you can't really generalize about the entire tree(s).

[WOLF9]
Members
8,830 posts
4,180 battles
4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Why Buffalo is considered a downgrade escapes me.

Buffalo takes crap that is unwarranted.  Is gud bote with very dangerous shells.  Also decent survivability.  Salem is better, but not by a lot.

I am enjoying the VMF cruiser line,  Just got Chappy.

[WORX]
Members
3,422 posts
14,785 battles

WIth the current meta, all cruisers are good. One of the somewhat balance ship class in the game

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,142 posts
4,934 battles
48 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Buffalo takes crap that is unwarranted.  Is gud bote with very dangerous shells.  Also decent survivability.  Salem is better, but not by a lot.

I think Buffalo's problem is mainly that it's an AB-XY layout ship in the middle of a line that, at every tier but 9 and 6, has been AB-Y. The neither turret arrangement is uncommon, but when you get used to associating one with ships that have a similar "feel" to them it's a bit jarring to suddenly go back to the other. Plus, she's tier 9. Tier 9 is one of the "awkward" tiers for cruisers in particular. Look at all the tier 9 non-premium cruisers: Roon, Buffalo, Seattle, Ibuki, Neptune, Donskoi, Saint-Louis. They all have at least a few detractors and I've rarely heard any of them mentioned as a person's favorite ship in their line, they all get outshone by the tier 10s and ships earlier in the line by comparison.

Then there's the admittedly petty reason that some people dislike, or are even just slightly put off by, Buffalo: She's not Oregon City. Seriously! We had a ready-made tier 9 ship for each US cruiser line RIGHT THERE and the devs skipped over them. It baffles me. All you would need to do to implement Oregon City is take pre-split Baltimore, change the superstructure slightly and buff its AA a bit. Bam! It's an Oregon City. Admittedly this is less egregious for Buffalo, they DID already have the model made, but what's the excuse for not putting Fargo in over Seattle? Fargo's just Cleveland with buffed AA, put on a heal and you're good! You can even use the main battery as DP guns since she would have carried VT fuses!

Members
1,640 posts
3,603 battles

If you go the heavy cruiser line, remember they have good AP and for me I specialized in deleting RN cruisers that looked to smoke up in the middle of the map, nothing a radar and a minimum of a salvo or 2 couldn't fix lol

[PRAVD]
Members
65 posts
8 hours ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Don't worry about how strong they are, worry about if they fit your playstyle.

Yeah, I definitely enjoy them to say the least. Started yesterday, they play like a dream. I enjoy the RN cruisers as I said, and these feel very familiar with the (In my opinion) very favorable shell arcs for using islands as cover, etc.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,830 posts
4,180 battles
10 hours ago, Landsraad said:

I think Buffalo's problem is mainly that it's an AB-XY layout ship in the middle of a line that, at every tier but 9 and 6, has been AB-Y

An extra butt turret?  Doesn't bother me in the slightest.  Maybe because I've been playing a lot of Nurnberg lately...

10 hours ago, Landsraad said:

She's not Oregon City. Seriously! We had a ready-made tier 9 ship for each US cruiser line RIGHT THERE and the devs skipped over them. It baffles me.

I'm of the opinion that they skip over well-known ships so they can be made Premiums at some point down the line.

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
3,142 posts
4,934 battles
12 hours ago, iDuckman said:

An extra butt turret?  Doesn't bother me in the slightest.  Maybe because I've been playing a lot of Nurnberg lately...

That's one way to look at it. The detractors look at it as "why do I only have HALF my guns on the bow instead of two-thirds?!"