You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Koogus

Another shiratsuyu question

17 comments in this topic

[KNCOL]
Members
381 posts
1,396 battles

Just got a 10pt captain on her and I am wondering what skills I should go for next. I am thinking EM, DE then IFHE but PM and SE would be some good skills to have too.

[NWNG]
Members
2,785 posts
4,654 battles

First, are you going to move this captain up the line to Akizuki? That matters a lot with how you build a commander too.

[KNCOL]
Members
381 posts
1,396 battles
5 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

First, are you going to move this captain up the line to Akizuki? That matters a lot with how you build a commander too.

No this captain is just for this ship

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
431 posts
14,211 battles

Shiratsuyu uses standard IJN torp build: PM, LS, TAE, CE as your core skills, AR, EM, SE are optional.

[HYDRO]
Members
2,840 posts
4,592 battles

PT (or PM if you prefer), LS, TAE, CE. Then SE, AR and possibly SI if you will be using the torp reload booster. Shiratsuyu has relatively bad main battery, so aside from any short duels with red DDs and setting a fire here and there there's not much point buffing it.

[KNCOL]
Members
381 posts
1,396 battles

should have probably showed this at the start. this is the skills i currently have i am just wondering what are some good options to get next for this captain 

Screenshot (242).png

[NWNG]
Members
2,785 posts
4,654 battles

Shiratsuyu is in a special place, where you can build her up for guns, or Torpedoes. Though the better option is most certainly Torpedoes.

Your Next Three Point Skill, I would Grab Superintendent, to increase the total number of Torpedo Reload Booster you have available.

Your next two-point skill most certainly Adrenaline Rush.

From there, it is entirely on you: You could get a second 4-point skill, which in my opinion should either be Radio Direction Finder, or IFHE

If you do not wish for a second 4 point skill, then Survivability Expert or Demolition Expert or Basic Firing Training (can only grab one) are good choices for a third 3-point skill (this means having to grab another 1-point skill, which would be Preventive Maintenance). BFT for the small boost in performance of your Main Batteries. Or you could grab yourself two more two-point skills, which my opinion should be Jack-of-all-trades, for better cooldown of TBR, and Expert Marksman for better turret traverse of your main batteries; if you go that route instead.

[WAIFU]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
13,372 posts
5,428 battles
1 hour ago, Koogus said:

Just got a 10pt captain on her and I am wondering what skills I should go for next. I am thinking EM, DE then IFHE but PM and SE would be some good skills to have too.

1 hour ago, Koogus said:

should have probably showed this at the start. this is the skills i currently have i am just wondering what are some good options to get next for this captain 

Screenshot (242).png

I strongly advise against trying to  turn Shitatsuyu into a gunboat with EM, IFHE, and DE. Shiratsuyu is a torpedo boat and not a gunboat. Pick the skills which emphasizes her strengths, and not skills which attempt to cover up weaknesses. Trying to patch up the worst T7 gunboat DD with gun skills, will still result in possibly the worst T7 gunboat DD. If you really want a tier 7 IJN 'gunboat' DD, then get an Akatsuki which can do the job better.

My suggestion for your next 9 points is AR, SE, and RDF. SI is also a decent pick instead of SE, but it must be noted that extra charges are useful mainly in long games. If your matches don't last long the extra charge of TRB goes to waste. That's not unusual since TRB has a long cool down. I don't use SI on my Asashio and rarely find myself thinking "if only I had that extra TRB charge...'

[KNCOL]
Members
381 posts
1,396 battles
5 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

I strongly advise against trying to  turn Shitatsuyu into a gunboat with EM, IFHE, and DE. Shiratsuyu is a torpedo boat and not a gunboat. Pick the skills which emphasizes her strengths, and not skills which attempt to cover up weaknesses. Trying to patch up the worst T7 gunboat DD with gun skills, will still result in possibly the worst T7 gunboat DD. If you really want a tier 7 IJN 'gunboat' DD, then get an Akatsuki which can do the job better.

My suggestion for your next 9 points is AR, SE, and RDF.

May I ask why the akatsuki is a better gunboat? From what I see in her stats she has, less range, same reload, a bit better traverse, same HE chance and one more gun. While I don't think those guns sound unless she seems more on the torp boat side of things compared to the shira

[WAIFU]
13,372 posts
5,428 battles
19 minutes ago, Koogus said:

May I ask why the akatsuki is a better gunboat? From what I see in her stats she has, less range, same reload, a bit better traverse, same HE chance and one more gun. While I don't think those guns sound unless she seems more on the torp boat side of things compared to the shira

Really? You yourself mention the extra gun and better traverse, and don't see why it's a better gunboat? More range also isn't necessarily a good thing for a stealth DD, since it also increases visibility range after firing. With EM, Akatsuki's guns can even almost keep up with a turn too.

Consider also that Akatsuki also doesn't need to go smokeless for gun power, and still has good torp power, thanks to her fast reloading 3x3 setup.

If a Shira tries a gun build, then that means the sacrifice of TRB for smoke, unless you are suicidal and want to open water gunboat. That means only 4x2 torps, no torp wall capability, and still crap gun power. A Shiratsuyu has two things over Akatsuki. TRB allowing her to throw walls of torps and iirc better stealth, due to Akatsuki being a larger ship. This is what you concentrate on.

Shira is a better torp boat if a player goes all in. Akatsuki is a better general purpose DD. To be frank though, neither of them are going to set the T7 world on fire with their gun prowess. You get a Gadja Mahda/Jervis/Haida for that.

[CUTER]
Members
2,459 posts
11,320 battles
4 hours ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Shiratsuyu uses standard IJN torp build: PM, LS, TAE, CE as your core skills, AR, EM, SE are optional.

I disagree on TAE.  HP is mission critical to DDs.  The number of games SE kept me in it is staggering.  Shaving 10-12 seconds off the torp reload isnt nearly as important to me.  Often times holding on to the torps that additional time opens up a much better target to drop on.

My core skills are:  PM, LS, SE, CE followed by in order EM/AR depending on how comfortable you are with the turret rotation speed, RPF, and lastly BFT.  TAE takes about 10 seconds off the torp reload, and I run TRB anyways so I have plenty of torps.  BFT shaves nearly 3/4 second off the reload and you have good dispersion and great alpha potential.  I run the stock GFCS module to reduce the foot print of my gun bloom enabling me to disengage quicker by kiting away.

The final build looks like this:  https://wowsft.com/ship?index=PJSD207&modules=12211&upgrades=143200&commander=PCW001&skills=3222438914&consumables=111&lang=en

The build has a ton of offensive potential, you just need to do your part and be near support to assist you against CVs and keeping gun boats from rushing you down.  I have a few recent Shira videos up explaining things in detail.  Just check out my IJN DD play list at the link below.

[CUTER]
Members
2,459 posts
11,320 battles
2 hours ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Really? You yourself mention the extra gun and better traverse, and don't see why it's a better gunboat? More range also isn't necessarily a good thing for a stealth DD, since it also increases visibility range after firing. With EM, Akatsuki's guns can even almost keep up with a turn too.

Consider also that Akatsuki also doesn't need to go smokeless for gun power, and still has good torp power, thanks to her fast reloading 3x3 setup.

If a Shira tries a gun build, then that means the sacrifice of TRB for smoke, unless you are suicidal and want to open water gunboat. That means only 4x2 torps, no torp wall capability, and still crap gun power. A Shiratsuyu has two things over Akatsuki. TRB allowing her to throw walls of torps and iirc better stealth, due to Akatsuki being a larger ship. This is what you concentrate on.

Shira is a better torp boat if a player goes all in. Akatsuki is a better general purpose DD. To be frank though, neither of them are going to set the T7 world on fire with their gun prowess. You get a Gadja Mahda/Jervis/Haida for that.

I buff the guns frequently on my IJN torp boats.  I still am running reload/BFT/AR on my Yugumo right now with TRB and posting really good numbers.  TAE is only 10 seconds on Shira.  That means little compared to removing nearly 3/4 second off the gun reload.

Stop trying to fight with them like a US or Russian DD.  They have their own unique style of gun boats and it works.  I'll be posting a video soon where I out damage a Fletcher in my Kagero around 2:1 over the course of a battle. 

Akatsuki I prefer with a full gun build and AFT.  Not much can touch me in that boat when I am shooting from range.  Full torp build only reduces the reload by around 9 seconds or so.  Why would I waste three points on that when the gun buff nets you so much more?

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
266 posts
9,982 battles
8 minutes ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I run TRB anyways so I have plenty of torps

Running with no smoke in current CV heavy meta is too risky, in my opinion. I used to really love shiratsuyu when it can mount both smoke and TRB, but since they took away that option, Akatsuki is definitely the better IJN dd at T7, with better gun power, more torps which reloads faster. The only advantage Shira has is concealment.

[CUTER]
Members
2,459 posts
11,320 battles
1 minute ago, axyarthur said:

Running with no smoke in current CV heavy meta is too risky, in my opinion. I used to really love shiratsuyu when it can mount both smoke and TRB, but since they took away that option, Akatsuki is definitely the better IJN dd at T7, with better gun power, more torps which reloads faster. The only advantage Shira has is concealment.

Either is quite powerful.  Shira has more game winning potential when up tiered IMO.  Her concealment is very competitive even if she saw T10s.

I understand some might feel that way.  Please watch my videos if you are interested in how TRB can still work.  There is a method to the madness.  I've been running TRB builds on everything just to prove its viable.  WR still doing good, damage is still really good.

[HEROS]
Members
1,568 posts
13,526 battles

Shiratsuyu is a little anemic getting the turrets swung about so focus on torps first but note as other have that there are diminishing returns when buffing her torps.

I run her almost exactly the same as my other TRB capable boats.  And I highly recommend RPF.  As always it not the one you see that gonna kill ya but the one you don't see.. but with RPF you'll know they are there and for warned can mean the difference between a knee slapper of a match or  "I knew I shouldn't have logged in today"

[WAIFU]
13,372 posts
5,428 battles
7 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

I buff the guns frequently on my IJN torp boats.  I still am running reload/BFT/AR on my Yugumo right now with TRB and posting really good numbers.  TAE is only 10 seconds on Shira.  That means little compared to removing nearly 3/4 second off the gun reload.

Stop trying to fight with them like a US or Russian DD.  They have their own unique style of gun boats and it works.  I'll be posting a video soon where I out damage a Fletcher in my Kagero around 2:1 over the course of a battle. 

Akatsuki I prefer with a full gun build and AFT.  Not much can touch me in that boat when I am shooting from range.  Full torp build only reduces the reload by around 9 seconds or so.  Why would I waste three points on that when the gun buff nets you so much more?

If that works for you, then all the more power to you. I however value the torp reload over gun reload. A gunboat build is viable on Yugumo, because the guns are actually workable. Not so much on the Shiratsuyu.

And you prove my point with your last paragraph. Akatsuki is better as a gunboat platform out of the two. If the OP wants to build a tier 7 IJN DD with gun skills, there's dubious reason to invest a 19 point captain into Shiratsuyu. Akatsuki simply has an extra gun and faster turning turrets, whilst retaining good torps. She is the better ship for a 19 point gunboat captain.

Ultimately the OP can pick what he likes, his ship, his game. But imho a 'gunboat' Shiratsuyu is neither here nor there.