You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ALROCHA

Am I doing something wrong with secondary Bismarck?

11 comments in this topic

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles
Spoiler

image.thumb.png.a0dfa2b956bebe35c04322c8286b18d1.png

This hasn't been the first time that my damage with secondary guns is this low, there have been matches where even with 300+ hits the secondary damage didn't exceed 15k (where most of the damage was done towards DDs).

I'm using a secondary build with a 14 pts captain right now, all the secondary skills besides the reloading (have to remove fire quickly), I'm angling properly so all secondary guns hit the targets while not suffering a lot of damage etc etc...

Would unlocking the IFHE instead of the increase in secondary range be actually better? I know for once that by unlocking IFHE, my 105mm will be able to penetrate up to 22mm, which means it'll start penetrating superstructures but the 150mm will penetrate 48,1mm which doesn't penetrate most deck armour (it already penetrates bow and stern)...would IFHE increase the DPS even if it means sacrificing 20% range (from 10.8km back to 9km)?

[PLPT]
Members
933 posts
8,232 battles
13 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:
  Reveal hidden contents

image.thumb.png.a0dfa2b956bebe35c04322c8286b18d1.png

This hasn't been the first time that my damage with secondary guns is this low, there have been matches where even with 300+ hits the secondary damage didn't exceed 15k (where most of the damage was done towards DDs).

I'm using a secondary build with a 14 pts captain right now, all the secondary skills besides the reloading (have to remove fire quickly), I'm angling properly so all secondary guns hit the targets while not suffering a lot of damage etc etc...

Would unlocking the IFHE instead of the increase in secondary range be actually better? I know for once that by unlocking IFHE, my 105mm will be able to penetrate up to 22mm, which means it'll start penetrating superstructures but the 150mm will penetrate 48,1mm which doesn't penetrate most deck armour (it already penetrates bow and stern)...would IFHE increase the DPS even if it means sacrificing 20% range (from 10.8km back to 9km)?

I take IFHE before manual secondaries, because of the damage boost. Penetrating CL armor with secondaries is a blast. Watch that Atlanta melt without even firing at it...

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles
1 minute ago, n00bot said:

I take IFHE before manual secondaries, because of the damage boost. Penetrating CL armor with secondaries is a blast. Watch that Atlanta melt without even firing at it...

Ok, so IFHE wasn't a bad choice after all, when I started with Bismarck some players were saying that the range was better than IFHE...

Ty mate, I'll wait for cap respec to change it back to 9km but with IFHE.

[WOLF2]
Members
3,076 posts
14,806 battles
11 minutes ago, ALROCHA said:

Ok, so IFHE wasn't a bad choice after all, when I started with Bismarck some players were saying that the range was better than IFHE...

Ty mate, I'll wait for cap respec to change it back to 9km but with IFHE.

I would pick AFT first for added range because it also adds to AA - very important these days 

If you prefer a bubble vs manual, a lot of shots will miss so you're relying more on creating chaos and fires than raw damage imo 

Chaos and fires are great in a brawl and it creates a whole other level of panic on the other side 

many smaller ships will run before they even get close to you :)

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,008 posts
5,775 battles

i remember the days when bismarck had super secondaries,they could  burn EVERYTHING quickly.

WG nerfed that.

[RLGN]
Members
10,112 posts
19,510 battles
21 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

i remember the days when bismarck had super secondaries,they could  burn EVERYTHING quickly.

WG nerfed that.

Before I ever actually had one... :Smile_sad:

[GOOF]
Members
201 posts
3,953 battles

Unfortunately Bismarck the great German battleship suffers from per creep, historical ignorance, German disperson,and t10 MM.

Great ship historically, still great in the game, but so are the other T8 ships and t9 and T10 ships that outmatch you even if they semi-existed. 

Love the gameplay though you shine in top their matches, albeit rarely do you see them. 

Your main gun disperson is quite..... saddening. Shipping is not your strong suit. Even though Bismarck v Hood eh.

Best to play her smart wait until ships are a little spread out, look for the rouge bbs. Close in on the injured lost players.  You can can help your team mostly with your cleanup skills. 

Caution YOLO on t9 t10not a good idea. Wait watch then strike.

[-1]
Members
292 posts
4,739 battles

You don’t need IFHE because German guns have 1/4 pen compared to 1/6 other nations have. What you really need is manual secondaries + BFT + AFT.

• Cool 1

Members
3,930 posts
8,487 battles
1 hour ago, Commander_367 said:

Chaos and fires are great in a brawl and it creates a whole other level of panic on the other side 

This.

I use AFT and BFT plus manual FC on the Bis. Its not the actual secondary hit damage that will get you points, its the fires you set for points and the above-mentioned panic you cause. Reds just hate fires and alarms going off for some reason, the wussies. The visuals of the Bis blazing away with secondaries with this set-up would give pause to even zombie night-walker captains.

• Cool 1

[RG-1]
Beta Testers
664 posts
2,439 battles
24 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

You don’t need IFHE because German guns have 1/4 pen compared to 1/6 other nations have. What you really need is manual secondaries + BFT + AFT.

This seems to happen only with the 150mm guns, the 105 remains with the 1/6, the in-game description says that it can only penetrate up to 17mm with the 105mm guns...and 17mm is what? DD superstructure? IFHE would boost it to 22mm that penetrates 19mm superstructure of most ships.

[WOLFC]
Members
310 posts
4,054 battles
31 minutes ago, dimzzy said:

Bismarck only gets 1/4 penetration on the 150mm secondary guns, the 105mm gets the standard 1/6 penetration. Apparently, only cruiser-caliber German secondaries have enhanced penetration as a general rule. Only the FDG at tier 9 gets 1/4 penetration on the 105mm secondaries, and this is a very recent buff (January I believe). 

I'm running a hybrid secondary/survival build on Bismarck with PT, AR, SI, AFT, and MFCSA. I've found the extra heal and hydro to be more useful than the ROF buff from BFT, but that's largely personal preference depending on your play style. I plan on grabbing FP (German BBs have huge, highly flammable superstructures) and PM (I run the secondary mod in slot 1) as my last skills (currently 17 points).

I've observed that my secondary damage is highly dependent on matchmaking. When I'm top tier, they wreck destroyers and cruisers. When I'm bottom tier, most of their damage comes from fires. IFHE might make this damage more consistent, but in the current meta running without any survival skills seems like too high a cost.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1