You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KilljoyCutter

[Feeback] Honor vs Glory "Personal Missions"

22 comments in this topic

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,882 posts

So, first, the good.

Event gives away free stuff just for playing.  That's always a plus.

Personalized missions giving away extra points for getting that free stuff, so that different players aren't all competing for the same thing in every battle.  That's a plus.

Now, the part that needs tweaking.

Having the missions come up in battle is a little frustrating.  There's no way to prep, and sometimes it makes them nearly impossible to complete.  Getting "use 5 consumables" in a battle when you're driving a ship with 2 or 3 VERY-long-cooldown consumables is a sign to not bother, for example. 

If there were a way to have them come up in-port, between battles, so that the player could take an appropriate ship, mount some signals or consumables to help, etc... that would be preferable, at least in my opinion.  

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[LRM]
Members
2,848 posts
6,103 battles

Or if a player could select what class he wants what missions to come up. Maybe someone wants the fire ribbon mission on the DD's so they can play Harugumo, or maybe they want that same mission on a CV because of the bombers they have.

I would also like to see rewards that give out tokens directly for the personal missions. Maybe 5 or so?

[ADR]
Members
4,380 posts
14,656 battles

Every event that has these personal missions in it have always been bad,  the devs really don't have much in the way of creativity for any event. but then again,  the game is built on gimmicks, so ...

[GOB]
Members
332 posts
10 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So, first, the good.

Personalized missions giving away extra points for getting that the free stuff, so that different players aren't all competing for the same thing.  That's a plus.

Having the missions come up in battle is a little frustrating.  There's no way to prep, and sometimes it makes them nearly impossible to complete.  Getting "use 5 consumables" in a battle when you're driving a ship with 2 or 3 VERY-long-cooldown consumables is a sign to not bother, for example. 

If there were a way to have them come up in-port, between battles, so that the player could take an appropriate ship, mount some signals or consumables to help, etc... that would be preferable, at least in my opinion.  

Too much Logic in this post.  Getting Popcorn! giphy.gif

Members
120 posts
14,782 battles

These personal missions have been quite easy to get.. Most are tailored to what ship you are in.. Cruiser.. Ribbons and fires.. BBs.. hits.. fires (at a reduced number).. Dont know what dds have as I havent played dds in quite some times. But unless I sink early in the game.. They are really easy to complete.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,558 posts
11,568 battles

The difficulty of the missions is certainly all over the place, and some of them basically encourage bad play. Fire ribbons in an Iowa?

There's also trash like 'get 3 spotting ribbons in a game with a carrier' and I'd agree on consumable use, I've done things like just burn DFAA on cooldown and sometimes the reds just refuse to shoot you enough to trigger DCP.

[ACES_]
Beta Testers
339 posts
4,470 battles

yaa spotting and 50 ribbons in a torp dd is dumb

Beta Testers
104 posts
7,366 battles

I'm coming off a game with an Amagi where I connected 34 HE shells. Not one shell was AP. I got one fire but I needed to get two. Guess what, I didn't help my team because I was busy trying to cause fires instead of causing serious AP damage. It's stupid and badly implemented. Spotting in a cruiser? Equally stupid. Next, we'll be asked to cause flooding in a BB, cap multiple points in a CV or cause 5 citadels in a DD with 127s. It's bad enough that there's not enough team play but to encourage stupid play is beyond me.

[PVE]
Members
14,935 posts
9,477 battles
56 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So, first, the good.

Personalized missions giving away extra points for getting that the free stuff, so that different players aren't all competing for the same thing.  That's a plus.

Co-op is the problem. I've had many a co-op game that ended too quickly for me to complete the personal mission. I'm sure that I would not have had a problem in a PvP game.

[-BRS-]
Members
836 posts
14,933 battles

There are also some missions where actively trying to accomplish them tends to lead you to getting sunk, like trying to spot 8 torpedoes as a destroyer.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
4,882 posts
4 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Co-op is the problem. I've had many a co-op game that ended too quickly for me to complete the personal mission. I'm sure that I would not have had a problem in a PvP game.

That's a good point.

Maybe they just need to adjust for the shorter battles.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,200 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

That's a good point.

Maybe they just need to adjust for the shorter battles.

Oddly enough I find using the "use consumables 5 times" the hardest of all the personal missions to accomplish. I will launch my fighter/spotter and use my hydro/radar right away and often the match will be over before they come off cool down. I have had luck using the French cruisers like Charles Martel because they have so many different tools to use. Adjusting the consumable use for co-op games would be nice but doubt anything like that would be seen as important enough to devote resources to. 

Edited by Taylor3006

[ARGSY]
Members
10,380 posts
6,766 battles
8 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

The only one I really have trouble finishing in co-op is the consumables mission. The times I failed 60 ribbons is when I derped and got sunk early.

[4HIM]
Members
2,225 posts
6,552 battles

Got a task to get 3 "Spotted" ribbons.  I was in Graf Spee and was spawned at the back of the pack.  

Hatsuharu in PvE.  Get 60 ribbons.

Hoy.

Members
84 posts
745 battles
11 hours ago, Lightninger said:

There are also some missions where actively trying to accomplish them tends to lead you to getting sunk, like trying to spot 8 torpedoes as a destroyer.

I just had the spot 6 mission, I didn't bother trying because if it happens, it happens. It didn't happen only spotted 4/6 - the other side DD had DWT so he wasn't shooting them at me. We did get the W though :)

The only one that really bugs me is the spotting one, way too many CVs to do it, unless you get it when you're in a CV, in which case it is just way too easy.

[TARK]
Members
228 posts
2,561 battles
13 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So, first, the good.

Personalized missions giving away extra points for getting that free stuff, so that different players aren't all competing for the same thing in every battle.  That's a plus.

I think they're a fun addition, and some extra free points.

The get (2) fires mission in a Fiji had to make me laugh a little bit.  I mean, I got it done.... but it required a strange playstyle.  :)

Edited by turdjelly

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,329 posts
20,200 battles
18 minutes ago, turdjelly said:

The get (2) fires mission in a Fiji had to make me laugh a little bit.  I mean, I got it done.... but it required a strange playstyle.  :)

Hey the Fiji does pretty well with its secondaries! Those always make me laugh too though, never fails, always in a UK cruiser and get those missions. 

I really love the idea of adding these personal missions to the game permanently to give it some variety. Offer an XP or credit boost for getting them done in co-op, PvP, or OPs. They really help break up the monotony of play and give you something to work towards other than the normal "kill all the red things". 

[TARK]
Members
228 posts
2,561 battles
8 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Hey the Fiji does pretty well with its secondaries! Those always make me laugh too though, never fails, always in a UK cruiser and get those missions. 

I really love the idea of adding these personal missions to the game permanently to give it some variety. Offer an XP or credit boost for getting them done in co-op, PvP, or OPs. They really help break up the monotony of play and give you something to work towards other than the normal "kill all the red things". 

Ha!  I learned that it has good secondaries doing the mission.  I was honestly surprised that it only took about 45 seconds of being in secondary range to get the fires.  

About the RN cruiser line... I am loving this line!!!!

[ARGSY]
Members
10,380 posts
6,766 battles
7 hours ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

Got a task to get 3 "Spotted" ribbons.  I was in Graf Spee and was spawned at the back of the pack.  

Hatsuharu in PvE.  Get 60 ribbons.

Hoy.

You can sort-of gunboat in the Hatsuharu, but it takes a lot of smoke charges and good placement.

3 hours ago, turdjelly said:

Christmas 2017 - Shipsmas missions and Aftvent Calendar. Firestarting missions, and all I had above T5 was a Leander. I remember this necessity well.

2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

I sort of share the enthusiasm, but it can be argued that sometimes the missions just promote bad play - at least in PvP terms. Not so much in co-op, where a little extra XP or especially credits would be very welcome.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,209 posts
14,352 battles
18 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

So, first, the good.

1 - I agree with your positives and I actually enjoy the missions.

2 - I also agree they need to tweak it a bit.

However, I think a better solution would be to simply have tasks come up to ships they are suited to. Giving BB's spotting or fire missions is kind of crazy just as it is giving a DD citadel missions. Now, these things CAN be done but it is kind of nuts that ships get assigned tasks that either are almost impossible or require the player to play selfishly and/or foolishly.

WG, just take a minute and look at these tasks and then code it so they only come up for ships they make sense on. Give the DD, CV, and Cruisers the spotting missions and fire missions. Give the BB's the citadel missions. Things like earn 30 ribbons or get 5 module incapacitations can be universal.  

I am lucky in that I only play Co-op so I can generally get them done even if it means not playing smart. In PVP modes I can see where these could cause issues for people who focus on them as it takes them away from the team goals.

Just needs a small tweak to make the tasks fit the ship class and it would be great.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,209 posts
14,352 battles
12 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Oddly enough I find using the "use consumables 5 times" the hardest of all the personal missions to accomplish. I will launch my fighter/spotter and use my hydro/radar right away and often the match will be over before they come off cool down. I have had luck using the French cruisers like Charles Martel because they have so many different tools to use. Adjusting the consumable use for co-op games would be nice but doubt anything like that would be seen as important enough to devote resources to. 

I love getting the use 5 consumables one in Lazo. Spotter runs for 60 sec and recharges in just 15 sec. Have done that one every time I have got it. LOL