You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
MrDeaf

Clan Naval Battles is poorly designed

15 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
15,276 posts
11,961 battles

Here are the list of problems I see with it.

• It is too subtle. I get that there is the point of notifications and reminders becoming a nuisance, but Naval Battles is on the opposite end of that.
    It's as if the windshield washer fluid indicator bulb was broken and you ran out of windshield washer fluid. Sure, it's mildly inconvenient when you run out of windshield washer fluid when you need it, but it's not as annoying as running out of gas.
  • It runs every week, but not all week. The problem with running an event every week that no one is reminded of, is that you might remember it exists on Monday, but totally forget to enable it by Thursday. And Naval Battles renews every week. Which brings me to my next point.
  • It doesn't notify you when it is actually available. Look, I am a lazy bastard and I am sure a majority of the player base is as well. I will not go out of my way to remind myself to enable something on Thursday, but also something I couldn't have enabled on the days leading up to Thursday.
    It's also completely inconsequential to normal gameplay, so it's not like I can remind myself of its existence.
  • It's a chore to turn on. Who likes doing chores? Well, at least there's no punishment for forgetting to do this one! There's way too much UI digging you have to do to enable Naval Battles.
    See, if the check box to enable wasn't so deep inside the UI, it wouldn't be so bad. I know it's only like 2 menus deep and even that is too much effort for my lazy butt to do. "Don't forget to go buy milk on your way home" wouldn't be so bad, but "Don't forget to go buy milk from a store that is a 30min detour from your way home" is a big fat NOPE.

Suggested Fixes

• Notification of when it's actually available. A simple pop up upon login would suffice. Exactly like how daily login bonus page works right now. One click, you're done and on your way.
    Conversely, don't do what we have for "Clan Battles is now available!" spam. Holy [edited], that crapis annoying as [edited]. Please turn it off.
  • Have an option to keep it permanently enabled. See, I could have sworn, when Naval Battles first came out, there was an option to "Always opt in", but apparently that check box doesn't do what it actually does, and I have to enable it every single week on Thursday.

Oh, and if by "Thursday", it was actually "Friday", well, I suppose that itself is a good indication of how well Naval Battles is known. BTW ,what day can you enable Naval Battles on and what day does it end? I literally have no idea and am too lazy to go read the rules buried under 3 sub menus after launching the game.

Edited by MrDeaf
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,774 posts
10,228 battles

Yes

[A-I-M]
Members
1,602 posts
8,643 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

• It's a chore to turn on.
  • Have an option to keep it permanently enabled. See, I could have sworn, when Naval Battles first came out, there was an option to "Always opt in", but apparently that check box doesn't do what it actually does, and I have to enable it every single week on Thursday.

If only it were true. I logged on yesterday and went into a few co-op battles to warm up, only to find they were being counted for naval battles, with no initiation on my part. It ate three attempts before I saw that. Fortunately, one of them was good enough to grab a atar.

Members
3,178 posts
3,520 battles

There's a enough space on the screen now that you can have a little shimmering banner somewhere off in the corner to tell those who are in a clan that it's going. Use the little gear box to turn it off and on. 

[-AGW-]
Members
767 posts
10,900 battles

Yes.

I would add that it is cryptic in design and poorly explained. 

[SYN]
Members
15,276 posts
11,961 battles
10 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

If only it were true. I logged on yesterday and went into a few co-op battles to warm up, only to find they were being counted for naval battles, with no initiation on my part. It ate three attempts before I saw that. Fortunately, one of them was good enough to grab a atar.

that's apparently because you can't read the PSA about that button being bugged for this week.

[RLGN]
Members
10,049 posts
19,462 battles

Yep, played a Co-op Colorado for fun, and noticed my counter had gone down by one.

Fortunately made over 400 bxp, so good for a star.

[NGAGE]
Members
4,361 posts
6,388 battles
1 hour ago, MrDeaf said:

• It's a chore to turn on. Who likes doing chores? Well, at least there's no punishment for forgetting to do this one! There's way too much UI digging you have to do to enable Naval Battles.
    See, if the check box to enable wasn't so deep inside the UI, it wouldn't be so bad. I know it's only like 2 menus deep and even that is too much effort for my lazy butt to do. "Don't forget to go buy milk on your way home" wouldn't be so bad, but "Don't forget to go buy milk from a store that is a 30min detour from your way home" is a big fat NOPE.

I can't speak for others, but opening up the clan tab always lags like crazy for me.  It makes it really annoying to jump back and forth in order to check progress.

[LRM]
Members
2,848 posts
6,099 battles
2 minutes ago, yashma said:

I can't speak for others, but opening up the clan tab always lags like crazy for me.  It makes it really annoying to jump back and forth in order to check progress.

Well, you can speak for me on that one.
==========================================================
As a clan commander, turning it on every week only to get matched up to an EU or RU team that ends up beating us because they are way more active is super fustrating. At this rate we just play for whatever oil we suck out of it. 

[A-I-M]
Members
1,602 posts
8,643 battles
35 minutes ago, MrDeaf said:

that's apparently because you can't read the PSA about that button being bugged for this week.

Maybe you should have added to your list of complaints that

1. You shouldn’t have to read forum PSAs to understand event functionality

2. You have to come to the forums and deal with total fuh quads like yourself.

• Angry 1

[DETN8]
-Members-
6,952 posts
8,690 battles
2 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

2. You have to come to the forums and deal with total fuh quads like yourself.

The lack of self reflection and maturity...

Wew.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
1,602 posts
8,643 battles
22 minutes ago, suleiman71 said:

The lack of self reflection and maturity...

Wew.

Please provide, in triplicate, documentation that certifies your possession of said qualities.

[PVE]
Members
14,934 posts
9,477 battles
4 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Here are the list of problems I see with it.

• It is too subtle. I get that there is the point of notifications and reminders becoming a nuisance, but Naval Battles is on the opposite end of that.
    It's as if the windshield washer fluid indicator bulb was broken and you ran out of windshield washer fluid. Sure, it's mildly inconvenient when you run out of windshield washer fluid when you need it, but it's not as annoying as running out of gas.

There is a tab on the port screen that takes you straight to the Naval Battle tab on the Clan screen. When Naval Battle is active, your unused attempts are listed on the tab on the port screen.

• It runs every week, but not all week. The problem with running an event every week that no one is reminded of, is that you might remember it exists on Monday, but totally forget to enable it by Thursday. And Naval Battles renews every week. Which brings me to my next point.

It does run all week. Mon-Thu are preparation for playing by earning points to qualify. Fri-Sun is the battle. There are no new days of the week, besides the seven above.

• It doesn't notify you when it is actually available. Look, I am a lazy bastard and I am sure a majority of the player base is as well. I will not go out of my way to remind myself to enable something on Thursday, but also something I couldn't have enabled on the days leading up to Thursday.
    It's also completely inconsequential to normal gameplay, so it's not like I can remind myself of its existence.

Note again that your unused attempts are listed on the Naval Battle tab on the port tab from Fri-Sun.

The Clan Cmdr or deputy Cmdr(s) can set a check box to automatically opt your clan in each week. Otherwise, click enable on the Naval Battle screen. If two clicks are too tiring, don't even get Atlanta or Flint because you might die of exhaustion.

Suggested Fixes

• Notification of when it's actually available. A simple pop up upon login would suffice. Exactly like how daily login bonus page works right now. One click, you're done and on your way.
    Conversely, don't do what we have for "Clan Battles is now available!" spam. Holy [edited], that crapis annoying as [edited]. Please turn it off.

Note number of attempts listed above.

It's there and has worked every week so far for me.

Oh, and if by "Thursday", it was actually "Friday", well, I suppose that itself is a good indication of how well Naval Battles is known. BTW ,what day can you enable Naval Battles on and what day does it end? I literally have no idea and am too lazy to go read the rules buried under 3 sub menus after launching the game.

Mon-Thu is when you prepare and Mon is the start. Enable it then.

You know that WG put out info on Naval Battle multiple times, right?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-080-takeoff/#clan-wars

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/naval-battle-clans-competition/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-guides/ngage/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/naval-battle-howto/

Seriously WG, nerf reading already.

[SYN]
Members
15,276 posts
11,961 battles
10 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

There is a tab on the port screen that takes you straight to the Naval Battle tab on the Clan screen. When Naval Battle is active, your unused attempts are listed on the tab on the port screen.

It does run all week. Mon-Thu are preparation for playing by earning points to qualify. Fri-Sun is the battle. There are no new days of the week, besides the seven above.

Note again that your unused attempts are listed on the Naval Battle tab on the port tab from Fri-Sun.

The Clan Cmdr or deputy Cmdr(s) can set a check box to automatically opt your clan in each week. Otherwise, click enable on the Naval Battle screen. If two clicks are too tiring, don't even get Atlanta or Flint because you might die of exhaustion.

Note number of attempts listed above.

It's there and has worked every week so far for me.

Mon-Thu is when you prepare and Mon is the start. Enable it then.

You know that WG put out info on Naval Battle multiple times, right?

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-updates/update-080-takeoff/#clan-wars

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/naval-battle-clans-competition/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/game-guides/ngage/

https://worldofwarships.com/en/news/general-news/naval-battle-howto/

Seriously WG, nerf reading already.

I read those before

Like I said, I am a lazy bastard and I find it too complicated to enable on Thriday.