Battleship_Elisabeth

UP Big Boy first run in 60 years

13 comments in this topic

[-BRS-]
Members
2,492 posts
15,720 battles

Love it:cap_like:

The Challenger runs by my house on the fourth of July week from Cheyenne and Denver i go see it every year

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,773 posts
10,215 battles

Brings tears to my eyes... simply amazing :Smile_honoring:

Edited by pikohan

[KNMSU]
Members
5,287 posts
5,531 battles

It would be nice to see this run again, one day, too. Sadly, the eastern railroads are a lot less charitable these days when it comes to steam programs. 

I also find it rather cold that BNSF - arguably the most successful railroad in history - doesn't offer anything. Then again, I guess we shouldn't expect much from a corporation that makes a conscious decision to divorce itself from its own history by changing it's name from Burlington Northern Santa Fe - something that actually had meaning - to a jumbled acronym only.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
6,574 posts
8,217 battles

I noticed the diesel loco at the rear, was under power. Any comment?

[KNMSU]
Members
5,287 posts
5,531 battles
8 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I noticed the diesel loco at the rear, was under power. Any comment?

It's the first run - my guess is they don't want to tax it too badly. Also, just because the diesel is on doesn't mean it's actually pushing - they almost never shut off locomotives now unless they are under maintenance. Even refueling is done with the engine on.

But there's almost always a diesel in tow whenever they run excursions in case of breakdown.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
2,079 posts
5,736 battles
58 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

It would be nice to see this run again, one day, too. Sadly, the eastern railroads are a lot less charitable these days when it comes to steam programs. 

I also find it rather cold that BNSF - arguably the most successful railroad in history - doesn't offer anything. Then again, I guess we shouldn't expect much from a corporation that makes a conscious decision to divorce itself from its own history by changing it's name from Burlington Northern Santa Fe - something that actually had meaning - to a jumbled acronym only.

You mean BNSF doesn't stand for BIG NEW SANTA FE?? :Smile_amazed:

Well, the UP has the advantage of having had the foresight to retain a few representative samples of steam power in their inventories rather than sending everything to the scrapyards.  Most of the Eastern rail systems have gone through multiple major reorganizations where people with "new ideas" haven't been wed to retaining old useless steam power just for the sake of preserving it.  When looking at costs to cut, many of the old steam locomotives that were retained have been either sent to the scrappers or given over to 3rd party's to turn into static displays or, if they are amazingly lucky, made to run again on short line museum like railways. 

Thanks for sharing, I was always wondering if the UP would ever get around to restoring this particular locomotive. 

[KNMSU]
Members
5,287 posts
5,531 battles
1 minute ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

Well, the UP has the advantage of having had the foresight to retain a few representative samples of steam power in their inventories rather than sending everything to the scrapyards.  Most of the Eastern rail systems have gone through multiple major reorganizations where people with "new ideas" haven't been wed to retaining old useless steam power just for the sake of preserving it.  When looking at costs to cut, many of the old steam locomotives that were retained have been either sent to the scrappers or given over to 3rd party's to turn into static displays or, if they are amazingly lucky, made to run again on short line museum like railways. 

Thanks for sharing, I was always wondering if the UP would ever get around to restoring this particular locomotive. 

There are actually still plenty of Great Northern, Burlington, and Santa Fe locomotives extant, including the gem, this: http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/index2.htm?GNEGN_S2_Class.htm

My guess is that BNSF could have any of them for a song - people, even the museums and towns that own the locomotives - want to see the things run, rather than rust away on static display. What is lacking is a will to act on Warren Buffett's part. But who knows? He is a very old man, and something may change when he is no longer in command.

[LHG]
Members
2,079 posts
5,736 battles
2 minutes ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

There are actually still plenty of Great Northern, Burlington, and Santa Fe locomotives extant, including the gem, this: http://www.greatnorthernempire.net/index2.htm?GNEGN_S2_Class.htm

My guess is that BNSF could have any of them for a song - people, even the museums and towns that own the locomotives - want to see the things run, rather than rust away on static display. What is lacking is a will to act on Warren Buffett's part. But who knows? He is a very old man, and something may change when he is no longer in command.

No argument, there are a number of steam locomotives around, it's just that not many of them are still owned by the actual railroads being preserved for future use like Big Boy (or the Coast Daylight or several others owned by UP).  Most of the other survivors are sitting somewhere in static displays, most of them slowly rusting away.  You can probably find one or two sitting in a public park somewhere within 35 or 60 miles from wherever you are sitting. 

So yeah, lots of locomotives out there, but none of the other major railroads has taken the interest the UP has taken in preserving and restoring their iconic history. 

[CRF]
Members
224 posts
5,581 battles

Very neat!  I had the good fortune to stumble on the National Railway Museum in York, England.  What a treat!

[C-CA]
[C-CA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,068 posts
4,926 battles
4 hours ago, BB3_Oregon_Steel said:

4 hours ago, Battleship_Elisabeth said:

When it comes to railway names I always get a giggle at CSX. Literally: Chessie, Seaboard, and [Placeholder]

[KNMSU]
Members
5,287 posts
5,531 battles
7 minutes ago, Landsraad said:

When it comes to railway names I always get a giggle at CSX. Literally: Chessie, Seaboard, and [Placeholder]

The x is supposed to somehow represent system. I dunno how, though. Honestly, it's North America's worst big railroad, so it's no shock that the same is gobbledigook.

Edited by Battleship_Elisabeth

Sign in to follow this