Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AltWeiss

I keep seeing people speccing IFHE on their GK build but I cannot

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
513 posts
4,953 battles

I just started playing again after a break and maybe it is something very obvious. I cannot train IFHE on my GK captain. 

"This skill is inefficient with the ships current configuration"

Someone tell me what I am doing here. 

[WORX]
Members
3,374 posts
14,753 battles

You  can spec it, what its telling you is, its a waste of a skill for your ship... IF you insist the game will not stop you...

• Cool 2

[FBS]
[FBS]
Beta Testers
89 posts
1,412 battles

With IFHE the system looks at the main guns for the benefit not the secondaries. So on a GK the main guns would not benefit that much by taking that skill, so it says it's inefficient. It does help the secondaries, I use it with my 19pt German BB commander.

[UN1]
Members
542 posts
1,998 battles
14 hours ago, AltWeiss said:

I just started playing again after a break and maybe it is something very obvious. I cannot train IFHE on my GK captain.

"This skill is inefficient with the ships current configuration"

Someone tell me what I am doing here. 

I would caution investing into IFHE on the GK.  I know some swear by it, but objectively it actually hurts your secondary performance in the majority of situations.  It can be in some rare situations super powerful, but most of the time it's just reducing your fire chance.  You're better off investing those 4pts into either FP, CE, or if you really want to go the extra damage route, Demolition Expert.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,554 posts
13,970 battles

Waste of four points. WG agrees, thus cautions against doing it, but the warning doesn't actually stop you from wasting aforementioned four points.

[XBRTC]
Members
160 posts
8,158 battles
On 5/4/2019 at 5:53 AM, Lert said:

Waste of four points. WG agrees, thus cautions against doing it, but the warning doesn't actually stop you from wasting aforementioned four points.

I was under the impression that since 128mm x 25% = 32mm this meant that the 128mm guns would shatter against 32mm plating, and IFHE was necessary to make those weapons useful.

I could understand if it was not optimal for some other reason, but isn't that the point of taking the skill when you want a secondary spec?

[HINON]
Supertester
20,554 posts
13,970 battles

At what cost though? What four-point skill are you not buying that would be useful, just to boost your secondaries? Let me repeat - secondaries. They'll never be your primary source of damage. That will always be your main guns. Meanwhile you could get fire prevention, and don't burn as much, or boost your AA and not have as much trouble with planes ...

I mean, to each their own, but IMO, it's a waste of four points. Good for lulz, for a meme build, if that's what you're after. Not for serious play.

[XBRTC]
Members
160 posts
8,158 battles
38 minutes ago, Lert said:

At what cost though? What four-point skill are you not buying that would be useful, just to boost your secondaries? Let me repeat - secondaries. They'll never be your primary source of damage. That will always be your main guns. Meanwhile you could get fire prevention, and don't burn as much, or boost your AA and not have as much trouble with planes ...

I mean, to each their own, but IMO, it's a waste of four points. Good for lulz, for a meme build, if that's what you're after. Not for serious play.

I try to make for what's entertaining to play and helps my team in the way I play. I play her aggressive, and prior to the re-work, there was no cause to worry about CVs. I still feel the other skills I have for a secondary build have made her an acceptable AA platform for now. The extra pen on the secondaries seemed to help me more than where I had it before (I was a late adopter for IFHE) for my playstyle. I'll disagree with you on the serious play, but that may just be your playstyle vs mine.

But I'm left to assume then that the standard answer is "it's not optimal, you can do other things with four points" but that I am correct on the calculations needed to pen 32mm of armor.

[HINON]
Supertester
20,554 posts
13,970 battles
4 minutes ago, SteveStevenson said:

but that I am correct on the calculations needed to pen 32mm of armor.

As I understand, yes.

• Cool 1

[UN1]
Members
542 posts
1,998 battles
On 5/6/2019 at 12:40 PM, SteveStevenson said:

I was under the impression that since 128mm x 25% = 32mm this meant that the 128mm guns would shatter against 32mm plating, and IFHE was necessary to make those weapons useful.

I could understand if it was not optimal for some other reason, but isn't that the point of taking the skill when you want a secondary spec?

While it is true IFHE pushes the GK's 128mm battery over the 32mm threshold (I believe it's up to 39mm actually), understand that in practice it's not as helpful as one might think.  When you start analyzing your own gameplay, you'll realize that the times where IFHE helps you are actually pretty rare.  In most cases, you're actually loses out on damage due to the reduced fire chance.

I'm not saying GK+IFHE doesn't have its situational shining moments, but increasing secondary HE penetration beyond 19mm has diminishing returns.  That's true for any battleship.  You'll actually do more damage overall by taking CE or FP (due to increased survivability) than you will by taking IFHE.

• Cool 1

[XBRTC]
Members
160 posts
8,158 battles
6 hours ago, Ranari said:

When you start analyzing your own gameplay, you'll realize that the times where IFHE helps you are actually pretty rare.  In most cases, you're actually loses out on damage due to the reduced fire chance.

I don't play for late game survivability, I play for early game disruption and aggression in a GK. I don't have whatever the skillset is to be patient with a big monster like her, so I do how I do and press early, using islands as best I can. As a result, I don't focus on having DOT over direct damage.

Members
1,823 posts
9,743 battles
On ‎5‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 10:45 AM, Lert said:

Hey

I have to completely agree; a waste of 4 points that could be better used on FP, CE, manual AA, AFT would be better in todays meta.  A secondary builds are good at T8, but you also need to run Aux. upgrade and on a German BB, why would you forgo aiming systems upgrade to boost your already hurting main gun accuracy, it just doesn't make sense.  The GK also has the shortest gun range of T10 now and you want to hamper those guns even more, good luck getting into brawling range and getting that much secondary damage.  Better to boost your survivability and your main guns than worrying about your secondary's IMHO.

Pete 

Sign in to follow this