You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mr_Secondaries

Port: Pearl Harbor, Hawaii

25 comments in this topic

[WAKE]
[WAKE]
Members
303 posts
17,450 battles

Just a suggestion for a future port. I'd really love to have the port of Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, USA. I'd be cool to see Battleship Row back in its hay day prior to being attacked. 

Related image

• Cool 4

[R-F]
Members
1,728 posts
10,208 battles

Am I crazy or is Hawaii already one of the port options?  Where is that supposed to be if not Pearl Harbor?  It's certainly not Kona.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
1,932 posts
7,069 battles

I always thought that it was Pearl Harbor.  Maybe WG can give it a face lift and incorporate some specific landmarks.

[WOLFG]
Members
8,238 posts
6,452 battles
1 minute ago, Brhinosaurus said:

Am I crazy or is Hawaii already one of the port options?  Where is that supposed to be if not Pearl Harbor?  It's certainly not Kona.

I also thought it is already a port.

[-ARP-]
Supertester
477 posts
4,667 battles

Not Pearl Harbour specifically. WG appears to have made up the Hawaii port for some reason.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,026 posts
17,518 battles
2 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

There is a port called Hawaii, but it doesn't seem to correspond to any real geographic location. I think they tried to get a couple of recognizable landmarks in the shot -- the ridgeline in the background is likely Diamond Head, famously visible over the Waikiki skyline; other features are vaguely reminiscent of Pearl Harbor --  but you can't actually see one from the other in real life, so it's more of a collage.

[ARRSE]
Members
170 posts
1,376 battles

The RN doesn't even have one of its actual historical ports - not even a collage of one.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,218 posts
10,497 battles
15 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

It's Hawaii but thats not Pearl harbor or Pearl city were Pearl harbor is . Don't know what base that Hawaii one is supposed to be it's not good though it's actually really bad .

Edited by clammboy

Members
1,697 posts
8,726 battles

"Hawaii" and "naval base" are inpired by pearl harbor but are fictitious. Most of the ports follow that scheme for some reason with exceptions being relatively uncommon but notable (like London and Hamburg)

Modder
1,272 posts
34 minutes ago, Turbogerbil said:

The RN doesn't even have one of its actual historical ports - not even a collage of one.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ WG gib Plymouth Sound/Devonport pls

[TBW]
Members
9,529 posts
16,251 battles

I want a port with just a black (solid color) background. How hard is that?

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[A_51]
Members
961 posts
1 hour ago, Wows_Nightly_News said:

"Hawaii" and "naval base" are inpired by pearl harbor but are fictitious. 

There was a discussion some months ago about the possible location of the Naval Base port, and the general agreement was that it is supposed to be Mare Island in Northern California.

Members
31 posts
640 battles

I selected Hawaii with the anticipation of seeing it again.  I was stationed there for 4 years and was looking forward to seeing the 1940's version.

Very disappointed.  

Nothing about the image reminded me of Pearl Harbor or Hawaii.

The mountains are the wrong shape, color and distance from the harbor.  The harbor area bears no resemblance to the navigable portion of any harbor in Hawaii.  The buildings, the infrastructure, the dock front all are wrong and have no connection to reality.  Heck, even the water is the wrong color!

Look, I understand it takes time to do something like this.  With that in mind, do it right or don't do it at all.

They should have a home port (done right) for each nationality.  Then they should have ports that are famous, done right.  This is not rocket science or brain surgery.  There is plenty of imagery from WWII of the places of interest (aerial and otherwise).  There are plenty of GIS based models of these locations today.

Get it right or don't do it.  This was an embarrassment.

Back to "Ocean" for me.  At least that is not full of historical inaccuracies, misplaced buildings, weird geography and totally unrealistic dock facilities.

(While they are fixing Hawaii, they might also want to take peek at the Philippines, New York and likely every other so-called harbor.  Absolutely ridiculous that this is not done right.)

[NUWES]
Members
2,857 posts
9,340 battles

It would be cool if  they did a full Pearl Harbor with your ship moored in Battleship Row and the Arizona Memorial in the background. I would pay money for that one. I don't know if anything prohibits using an image of the Arizona Memorial though. 

[G-REB]
Beta Testers
75 posts
7,150 battles
12 minutes ago, VeatherVitch said:

I'd love Halifax harbour, but after the explosion... 

LOL..  that made me spit out my coffee..:Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,026 posts
17,518 battles
5 hours ago, DeepBrine said:

(While they are fixing Hawaii, they might also want to take peek at the Philippines, New York and likely every other so-called harbor.  Absolutely ridiculous that this is not done right.)

Some of these are older port setups that definitely show their age. There are some nice changes coming to the graphics engine in general next patch, which includes lighting and clouds, but the models themselves probably won't get updated, as it would be somewhat labor-intensive for not a lot of gain.

24 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

It would be cool if  they did a full Pearl Harbor with your ship moored in Battleship Row and the Arizona Memorial in the background. I would pay money for that one. I don't know if anything prohibits using an image of the Arizona Memorial though. 

That one probably wouldn't happen because it encroaches on the "too real" line. Parking Nagato in Battleship Row could be seen benign, bizarre, or downright offensive -- and the more realistic the depiction, the more it slides toward the latter. Especially if you include a real-life war memorial in it. Better to keep the game at arm's length from reality in such cases IMO.

[BWC]
Beta Testers
1,593 posts
6,987 battles
5 hours ago, DeepBrine said:

I selected Hawaii with the anticipation of seeing it again.  I was stationed there for 4 years and was looking forward to seeing the 1940's version.

Very disappointed.  

Nothing about the image reminded me of Pearl Harbor or Hawaii.

The mountains are the wrong shape, color and distance from the harbor.  The harbor area bears no resemblance to the navigable portion of any harbor in Hawaii.  The buildings, the infrastructure, the dock front all are wrong and have no connection to reality.  Heck, even the water is the wrong color!

Look, I understand it takes time to do something like this.  With that in mind, do it right or don't do it at all.

They should have a home port (done right) for each nationality.  Then they should have ports that are famous, done right.  This is not rocket science or brain surgery.  There is plenty of imagery from WWII of the places of interest (aerial and otherwise).  There are plenty of GIS based models of these locations today.

Get it right or don't do it.  This was an embarrassment.

Back to "Ocean" for me.  At least that is not full of historical inaccuracies, misplaced buildings, weird geography and totally unrealistic dock facilities.

One thing to keep in mind is that this, along with Philippines, were the first ports ever done for the game, and the only ones for a while (Hawaii was the premium port).  Telling them they shouldn't have made the port if they can't be 'historically accurate' is incredibly short-sighted.  Accurate depictions of ports is something fairly new in the game's lifespan, and there are plenty of ports not accurately depicted.

Also, there is nothing to suggest this game takes place in the same world as what we think of as 'real'.  We have paper ships, many more of any given class than were ever produced, ships of the same national navies fighting each other, ships of opposing nations allied with each other, battles that take place in locations that wouldn't generally exist unless there was a major (more like cataclysmic) upheaval in the geography of the planet,  and technology well beyond that of the period supposedly set for the ships in the game (instantaneous data sharing across a task force with shared linked fire control systems.....) .  Given that, it wouldn't be at all surprising a port like Hawaii might have some significant differences from what someone who has been there might think it should be (and yes, I've been there as well).

Personally, I think it's fine the way it is.  I like the differences and think losing the current port would be a real shame (both for the heritage in the game and the likelihood we'd lose something in the transition....especially the music, which is the original port music that got me into the game in the first place).

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,429 posts
4,975 battles
On 5/3/2019 at 8:51 AM, Brhinosaurus said:

Its also certainly not Pearl Harbor. Maybe a really bad representation of Honolulu Harbor?

Wait...who am I kidding...the Hawaii port looks about as much like Hawaii as a B-52 looks like a Pinto.

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
10,889 posts
14,922 battles

I was just there. Would love to see it as a port.

[-DKM-]
Members
21 posts
10,553 battles

I just want a port where i can pick 10 of my most favorite ships dock in the back as a background.  Is that too much to ask for?:Smile_hiding:

Members
1,445 posts
7,009 battles
29 minutes ago, D3MoNiC317 said:

I just want a port where i can pick 10 of my most favorite ships dock in the back as a background.  Is that too much to ask for?:Smile_hiding:

That was actually a proposal for scapa flow a while back. Not much going on visually there, so instead of a regular carousel, just look at your fleet at anchor.

Matt

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
3,966 posts
5,480 battles
5 hours ago, Edgecase said:

That one probably wouldn't happen because it encroaches on the "too real" line. Parking Nagato in Battleship Row could be seen benign, bizarre, or downright offensive -- and the more realistic the depiction, the more it slides toward the latter. Especially if you include a real-life war memorial in it. Better to keep the game at arm's length from reality in such cases IMO.

Porting Kaga or Shokaku there could certainly be offensive to some.. I can see why it is handled lightly .  

[KAG]
Members
437 posts
21,736 battles
1 hour ago, D3MoNiC317 said:

That would be cool, have a Marina of favorite bad [edited]ships to choose from..btw the Hawaii port is my favorite.